While we were on vacation the news of the virus seemed to pick up in the US, but honestly I was on vacation and I wasn't going to let it get me down. We saw some people at the airport wearing masks, but still I saw no cause for alarm. So, we enjoyed a great week in Florida and returned home the last weekend of February/first weekend of March just as the virus started to gain momentum in the US.
Then A2H Week 2020 10 began. With the vacation behind me and my parents on a vacation of their own, I began to pay a little more attention to the news and what was really going on around the world and while I can't say I became worried at that point I did realize that it was likely going to become a bigger deal here in the US than I'd previously thought. Still, life went on...
Monday, March 2
FB Post: Missing my crew this morning #daddysgirl #littlemisssunshine #ateam #a2h@ Pass-A-Grille Beach, Florida
![]() |
| Hazel (becoming much more interested in walking ever since returning from our vacation) walking like a Big Girl with her Daddy to guide her. <3 |
Video: Walking Like a Big Girl
![]() |
| Trying out a 'big girl' bike for the first time (& Loving It!) |
Tuesday, March 3
FB Post: Tis better to have vacationed and returned than to have never vacationed at all...
Wednesday, March 4
![]() |
| Asher enjoying a lesson at school. |
Thursday, March 5
| Eric, Avery & Asher enjoying Donuts with Dudes at Asher's school |
Avery learning about firefighters at school.
|
![]() |
| Site visit for my project in Brookfield under construction. |
![]() |
| FB Post: Just wanted to say thanks to this trucker for bringing all of our vacation laundry home 😂#laundryfordays #itneverends |
Video: High Chair Dancing
Friday, March 6
For a while now, I've had a lingering desire to put Hazel's abnormally long baby hair into rollers. On Friday, when Hazel and I had a few minutes to ourselves while the boys were at school, I did just that.
![]() |
| FB Post: A little girl time with my best girl #littlemisssunshine #justbecause |
![]() |
| "Please Mom. No more pictures" |
Video: Beauty Queen
![]() |
| My Best Girl <3 |
Video: Babyzilla!
![]() |
| Baby in a Box. |
![]() |
| Mother-Daughter <3 |
![]() |
| Another day, another wipes container to empty. |
Saturday, March 7
![]() |
| "What?" |
Video: Nosy Little Sister
![]() |
| Robo-Avery |
Sunday, March 8
![]() |
| FB Post: I came up with my own kitchen hack today: A new use for baby toys...who needs a rolling pin? 😉 |
Monday, March 9
![]() |
| Playing Ice Cream with my favorite little girl (one of her favorite toys these days) |
![]() |
| Chubby Monkey |
Tuesday, March 10
Then on Tuesday, March 10th I woke up to find that our baby girl was not feeling well and had a fever. Additionally, my parents had returned from their vacation and spent the night at our home rather than driving all the way back to their house from Milwaukee in the middle of the night. I'd hoped that maybe they could spend the day with her while Eric and I worked, but quickly that plan changed as well when my dad told me that my mom (who was in our basement) was also not feeling well. We were pretty sure she didn't have 'The Virus', but she was in no shape to watch our little girl. Instead, we worked it out that my dad watched her for a couple of hours while Eric had a morning meeting and then my parents (after sanitizing everything they touched in our home) left while Eric stayed with Hazel for the remainder of the day. As the day progressed, so did Hazel's temperature. When I had taken it that morning it was around 101, but by 11am it has risen to 103.5. We weren't sure what was going on, but with all the talk of Coronavirus going around we agreed it was best to take her in to the pediatrician. Eric made an appointment and took her in that afternoon, but surprisingly they didn't find anything wrong. She tested negative for the flu and we were told that her throat and ears looked good. Eric took her home and we continued to treat her fever with Tylenol/ibuprofen and snuggles at home.
That evening, she continued to feel miserable and her fever continued to rise. She received more medicine to assist her fever along with lots of snuggles that night. She also was desperate to nurse and it was like nursing a little fireball. I was pretty sure that I was actually producing hot chocolate and I felt terrible for our little lady and prayed for healing and relief for her.
![]() |
| Hazel's temp on Tuesday evening. |
Wednesday, March 11
At lunch time on Wednesday I took Hazel's temperature again, realizing that she felt as though she was on fire. After reading 104.8 on the thermometer I immediately called the pediatrician again and was instructed to take her to the ER.
I gathered our things together and then the little miss and I headed to the hospital. There, we had to wait a while for an open room while I prayed for some relief for our little girl. Eventually we were brought into a room and seen by a doctor who took one look at her pulling on her ears and guessed she had an ear infection. Then after actually looking in her ears, he confirmed a double ear infection and stated hat both ears looked pretty nasty. I am not sure why the pediatrician which saw her the day before couldn't find that (it was not the doctor we normal see), but I was happy to finally have an answer to Hazel's misery.
After getting Hazel dosed up with both Tylenol and ibuprofen and picking up her prescription from the pharmacy we headed back home for more snuggles. That evening, after the medicine had kicked, she, Eric and I enjoyed a couple of hours of peace as the boys were at Awana and she was back to her silly little self.
Thursday, March 12
As the week continued, Hazel slowly got better. It took a few days for her fever to return to normal, but thankfully she was at least a happier (albeit still very tired) little girl.
![]() |
| Sleepy Girl |
Friday, March 13
![]() |
| Finally getting some appetite back. :) |
![]() |
| Goofy little sheep. |
While all of this (a sick little girl) was going on at home the global situation with COVID-19 (aka Coronavirus) was looking dire and here in the US, things were ramping up. During the week the NBA canceled the rest of the season and the NCAA first announced that the March Madness tournament would be held without spectators and later announced that it would be canceled entirely. Then on Friday, while the kids and I played together at home, the Michigan governor closed all schools (K-12 + colleges and universities) for the next three weeks and at that point I knew that Wisconsin would be quick to follow suit.
![]() |
| Credit |
![]() |
| 3/12/20 FB Post (Credit): To good not to share 😂💙💛 |
![]() |
| FB Post: I took this picture of Hazel one year ago today. Feel like it is eerily appropriate for the chaos & uncertainty of today (& this week in general) as well. |
Video: Babyzilla Strikes Again
By Friday afternoon Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers had followed suit and all Wisconsin schools were closed as well. At that point March Madness had officially made its way into our home as COVID-19 continued to change the world we live in.
Saturday, March 14
As A2H Week 2020.11 concluded with our weekend, we attempted to process all that was going on around us. Similar to the stages of grief, we went through our own stages as we tried to imagine how the next few weeks might look. On Saturday we were in the stage of denial. We continued with life as close to normal as possible doing what we would normally do on the weekend and staying home.
![]() |
| FB Post: What’s going on at your house? #coronavirius #quarantine#socialdistancing #epicfortbuilding #marchmadness2020 |
![]() |
| The boys made a giant fort downstairs that took up almost the entire basement. |
Sunday, March 15
When we woke on Sunday the denial continued as we 'went to church' via the internet. Then, as the day progressed, I wouldn't say that we were in the second stage of anger, but rather annoyance. We were annoyed by the situation and even though we had only been social distancing for a couple of days, we already felt like we were suffocating in the house. In the afternoon I needed to get out of the house so I headed to Sam's Club to have some feelings of control in the situation. Really this only made me feel worse though as I saw the empty shelves throughout the store and could only come up with a couple of items because the majority of things I'd planned to purchase were gone.To say it was ugly in our house that day is a total understatement, but really the Madness of the month of March had only just begun...
![]() |
| FB Post: Captain’s Log/March Madness Day 2: Despite feeling hopeful yesterday, today got me down. The reality and uncertainty of the situation has hit hard. The crew is getting restless, the locals are nowhere to be seen, supplies are scarce, the laundry monster continues to grow and it LOOKS as if one of ours has already given herself over to cannibalism. |
3/15/20 FB Post: Wondering what other working parents are doing at this time. Office and daycares are still open. To be productive sending the kids to daycare makes the most sense, but then is it any different than the kids just being at school? If we keep them home with us we will get very little actual work done. Thoughts/ideas?
![]() |
| Social Distancing staples from Sam's Club. |
![]() |
| Watching Tree House Master...one of a few shows that have been our Social Distancing Go-Tos (others include Shop Class on Disney+ and Lego Masters!!) |

















































































No comments:
Post a Comment