Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Toddler Tales Week 6: My Favorite Day of the Week

As I mentioned in my previous post last week was not the greatest, which meant that this week started on a bad note as well.  Sunday was a rough day.  We were totally spent and frustrated.  In addition to this, Asher was not feeling real well and was very needy and whiny.  It was a day that I wanted nothing more than to crawl into bed and sleep until it was over.  Unfortunately, that was not possible.  Instead of hiding from the day, I had to be at church at 7:30 for practice to sing with the worship team later that morning.  When it was time for church to begin, my emotions were on edge and it was everything I could do to contain myself...I didn't do a very good job.  When church was over, I tried to get out of there quickly without talking to anyone.  Before I could get out, a friend said hello and asked how I was doing.  I said I was fine, but she saw right through me and asked again.  At that point, I broke and told her everything...it was a turning point for the week.  The combination of getting everything off my chest and the lunch that she provided for Eric, Asher & I gave me the breath that I needed to get through the rest of the day.  I won't say that everything was perfect from then on, but it did put a much more positive light on things.

When the work week start, it was still a bit rough as we were all exhausted (not exactly a great way to start off a Monday).  By Tuesday, however we were rested and all in much better frame of minds.  Tuesday night we enjoyed some family time at National Night Out.  It was a neighborhood get together put on by the Kenosha Police Department.  Apparently similar events happened across the country and there were two separate events in Kenosha.  The one that we attended happened to be at the Methodist church right across the street from us.  We went over there and enjoyed some free hot dogs, fresh squeezed lemonade, chips and popcorn.  Asher also got a bag full of kid-friendly goodies.  It was a fun time, and nice to get out and meet some other people from the area.

On Wednesday, it was my day off...my FAVORITE DAY of the week!  I have enjoyed having my Wednesdays off ever since my maternity leave finished last September.  They have been amazing days for me to spend with my incredible little boy and get some other things done around the house when Asher is napping so that I can focus more of my weekend time on my family.  With all the stress and chaos of the previous week, this Wednesday was extra special and emotional.  Because our stressors have much (or everything) to do with finances, I am considering going back to work full time (or at least every other week).  This would mean that I would have to give up my Wednesdays, which is about the LAST thing that I want to do.  Thus, I tried to make the most of my day with Asher.  We enjoyed some time at the park, we enjoyed some time playing in his room, in the playroom and in the backyard, we enjoyed a delicious snack and we enjoyed a trip to Walmart.  It wasn't the most amazing day of either of our lives, but it was a good day and we were together...that's what really counts!

I grabbed the camera to head to the park.  Asher said "Cheese" and wanted me to take a picture...so I tried.  It is tough to get a good picture while holding the camera and holding a baby who is also trying to hold the camera.
We tried again...better smiles, but worse picture.  Oh well.
We went to the park to meet with some other IBC moms and kiddos.  Unfortunately no one could make it this week, so we played by ourselves for a bit.  Asher had a good time on the swing.



For snack time I gave Asher cheese and crackers.  Then, since it was hot, I decided I'd eat one of the leftover Zoku pops I'd made a few weeks ago.  Asher decided that he needed one too.  I was afraid to give him one after what happened last time.  He surprised me though.  He did a great job eating it on his own and kept the mess fairly contained.  Plus, there were no crying fits this time!...success!









Video: Asher eating his Zoku Pop
On a side note: Eric and I are beginning to believe that Asher is left handed.  We have thought that there was a chance that he was for a long time as he seems to use his left hand much more that we do.  He may turn out to be ambidextrous, but if not we're pretty sure the left hand will be the winner (I guess he takes after his Uncle Rob).  If you notice in this video, he uses his left hand to eat his Zoku pop.  Also, when we let him use a spoon to eat (we lay it down in front of him), he always picks it up with his left hand and attempts to feed himself with it (I say attempts as he has not mastered silverware yet).  When he does try to hold it in his right hand, it looks extremely awkward.  I guess we'll have to start looking for deals on left-handed scissors, etc.?  ;)


The rest of the week continued on a positive note, with a pizza/movie night at home on Friday and then our 11th anniversary on Saturday (more on that to come).  It was a great week and a much needed change from the one before.

No comments:

Post a Comment