Sunday, February 2, 2014

Toddler Tales Week 31: The Cold

This week was all about "The Cold", and although it did go down into dangerously (unwelcome) temperatures outside again, that is not the type of cold I'm talking about.
-12.  The Temp on Monday night before bed.
-17.  The Temp on Tuesday morning when we got up.
No, instead it was the week of Asher's first real cold.  Most parents, I think, can say that their 19 month olds have had at least a few colds already, but I (fortunately) cannot.  Asher has had a stomach virus, and a very irritated throat/fever, but he really has never had a cold that included the faucet nose, fever, chest congestion, etc.  This week that changed.  On Monday night, we awoke in the middle of the night to a very unhappy little guy who I realized immediately was quite warm.  He had a fever and was starting to cough.  Tuesday morning the fever and cough continued and the congestion worsened.  This went on through the rest of the week.  His fever ranged from 100.8-103.5.  It was never anything completely awful, but definitely enough to make a little guy very irritable.  Eric and I each missed two days of work as he couldn't go into daycare with his fever and we spent those days tending to a little guy that wouldn't eat much of anything and walked around most of the time whining and crying.  It was heartbreaking and nerve-racking all at once.  Again, I found myself wondering how single parents do it?!  The days felt impossible as nothing we did would make him happy and if I'm completely honest I looked forward to the days that I got to go into work (I felt terrible that I wasn't home tending to my little guy, but relieved at the same time).  On top of everything else, Eric also realized on Wednesday that Asher is also got is two upper canine teeth coming in.  ...NOT a happy camper!




On Saturday, it seemed that we should be turning a corner.  He slept fairly well on Friday night and at first seemed to be in good spirits.  For a little bit we even considered taking him to his swim class.  After a bit though, we realized that he needed another day of rest at home.  So, instead we trudged on through the day, getting in some snuggles during The Little Mermaid and attempting to keep ourselves from reaching insanity (it was close...Eric even had to intervene for a couple of hours in the morning so this momma could have some time to herself).  Thankfully, he took a great nap yesterday afternoon and seemed to be in much better spirits afterwards with a little more of an appetite.  Unfortunately, last night was another rough night filled with intermittent crying and coughing.  So, we will see how this week goes.  Praying for something much more promising than the last!...



No comments:

Post a Comment