Tuesday, March 13, 2018

Operation D.A.T.E. Day 8: Where the Sun Don't Shine

Today was the day that we had to say goodbye to the warm, bright sunshine of Florida and the Caribbean and go back to the cold, gray skies of Wisconsin.  Against our wishes we woke up bright and early to get ready for the day, eat one last ship breakfast and disembark the Harmony.
Taking in the view from our balcony one last time.


Panorama of room #2.

When we switched rooms mid-way through the cruise, we not only got a new room but we also got a new room attendant.  The attendant for our previous room was very quiet and kept to himself, but the attendant for our new room was extremely outgoing and friendly.  She (Shella) was always giving us tips for things to do or see on the ship and constantly went out of her way to help us with things (like get us new beverage cups (plural) when our cup (single) broke and more).  During the week one of the things we'd talked about was the fact that one of the large suites was located just one door down and across the hall from our room.  She told us that if we waited until the end to get off the ship on Saturday (after the people in that room left) that she would let us in to take a look around...and that is exactly what we did! :)  While our room was just a simple small rectangle with a minuscule bathroom, this room had two large bedrooms (with huge closets), a full-size bath (with a tub, shower and double vanities) and a deck that wrapped around three sides of the end of the ship hall...











By 9:30 Eastern time we were off the ship and back in the continental U.S.  Since our flight wasn't scheduled to leave until 4:50 pm and it was only about 10:00 am we took a taxi to the nearest car rental company and got a car for the day.  Then we headed to the Ft. Lauderdale beach to soak up a little more sun before heading home.
One last longing look at the Harmony of the Seas



Finished one book and on to the next...which I probably won't finish until about 2024.


Again there was no swimming in the ocean do to "dangerous marine life and strong currents".  A few people braved it but not us.







We spent the remainder of the morning and early afternoon relaxing on the beach and the exhaustion of vacation hit us quickly.  Both of us fell asleep on the beach and even though I *thought* I'd covered every portion of my pale bare skin with sunblock I later learned that that was NOT the case.  We headed to the airport mid afternoon, returned our car and then headed over to the check-in counter.  Before checking our bags though we both changed into to some Northerner attire (aka long pants and long-sleeved shirts).  I said goodbye to shorts for a few more months and put on my jeans without another thought.  We checked in at the Southwest counter and then headed to our gate.  Once we'd reached the gate I realized I needed to use the restroom and as I headed in that direction I began to feel an odd sensation all over my lower back-side.  I wasn't sure what it was but quickly realized that the sun DID shine somewhere that I could have done without!  The truth was that when I'd fallen asleep on the beach earlier that day (tummy down) I had apparently missed coating the part of me that I was sitting on with sunscreen.  :(  The Result: Possibly the WORST sunburn I have ever had in basically the WORST place one could get a sunburn with the WORST possible timing!  

From that point on my lower back side just got hotter and hotter as the effects of the sun took their toll on my skin cells.  I spent the rest of the afternoon and evening shifting in my seat to try and find a least uncomfortable position as I waited at the airport and then had to sit in the never comfortable plane chair for the 3+ hour flight home. Good times.  We did eventually make it and I was thrilled to be able to head home and lay down (on my stomach) in our bed!  ...but not before catching up with Eric's parents who waited up for us AND stealing a quick peek of my beloved little sleeping boys.

On Sunday morning, I woke up to find this...




1 comment: