Sunday, February 5, 2012

Adventures in Babysitting

Yesterday was a pretty exciting day.  We got to have OTB for lunch (thanks to Uncle Greg & Aunt Nancy) and we got to babysit Micah and Caleb while Aaron & Erika went out to dinner and a movie.  It was a fun time, although I will admit that it freaked Eric & I out a bit knowing what our future is to bring and wondering if we can handle it.  Don't get me wrong, I am totally excited, but I also question whether or not I will have any clue of what I am doing.  Our poor child is going to have to be patient with his/her parents as we attempt to figure things out.  

It was a little tough watching Caleb because he was a bit fussy for most of the day, and since we are not his parents we don't know what he wants.  I did figure out a diaper change (I survived my first #2 experience BTW), and then he sucked down two bottles, but then a bit later he was cranky again.  We couldn't figure it out (although we did figure out that he loves looking out the window), and thought there was no way he was hungry AGAIN.  However, eventually I decided to put him in his high chair and feed him some chicken and apples and he stopped crying immediately.  If only he could talk to tell us that a bit earlier.  Oh well, we figured it out eventually and then everyone was happy.  When I realized he was finished, I rinsed his spoon off in the sink and when I came back to clean him up and take him out of his chair, he was slouched over and passing out!  So cute!  I cleaned up his floppy hands and face and then picked him up for a good snuggle in the lazy boy. Meanwhile, Eric and Micah made a "Shoe Shoe Train"out of our shoes in the living room and played.  It was really cute, and when it came time for us to leave Micah started to cry because I had to get my shoes out of the train, but he was soon appeased as Erika convinced him that they have plenty of shoes for new trains. :)  My favorite part of the babysitting experience though was when I looked at Micah and he had a huge snot bubble hanging out of his nose, which he was trying to show Eric (obviously VERY proud of it).  It was awesome and then I heard "I popped it."  Gotta love that kid!

You'd think that with all that the day couldn't get any better, but it did.  The best part of the whole day happened last night when Eric & I were watching Lord of the Rings in bed and we felt our little wiggle worm moving for the first time!  It was amazingly awesome and brought so much joy to my heart.  I love him or her so much already and cannot believe how awesome God's creation is!

Today Eric & I headed down to Aaron & Erika’s to babysit Micah and Caleb, and give them an afternoon to themselves. Micah slept for the first hour that we were there, so we just had to keep Caleb entertained (which Eric did by sitting and looking out the front door window with him).  Once Micah got up, playtime really began and I focused on Caleb mostly while Eric and Micah played with Mater, footballs, Micah’s “Shoe Shoe Train” and pretty much anything else they could find.  At that point, Caleb was mostly just entertained by them, but he did get a little fussy.  Two bottles and some mixed chicken and apples (gross) later, I lifted a very sleepy baby from the high chair and we cuddled until Mom and Dad got home.  It was a fun day and we were pretty proud of ourselves for surviving on our own!  We can do this...maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment