Saturday, June 14, 2014

Toddler Tales Week 49: Scary

This picture sums up our week pretty well...


So yeah, it was one of "those" weeks.  No, it wasn't a bad week, just a bit scary.

First of all, Eric and I made a decision that we have been toying with for years: We upgraded to smart phones!  Yes, you heard read that correctly.  After years of sticking with our "dumb" phones, we decided to switch to something a bit (rather a LOT) more advanced.  As I write this, I still feel a bit sheepish about the change.  Don't get me wrong, I love having it and it is nice to no longer need my iPod and my phone (& have everything I need all in one place), but I kind of feel like I've cheated on myself.  I've jumped on the bandwagon with the rest of the world, enjoying a luxury I really don't need.  That said, I am happy with the decision and happy that Eric and I can finally text each other outside of wifi zones (yes our phones were so "dumb" that we turned our texting option completely off, because trying to type anything on them was not worth the time it took), and Eric is happy that now that my phone has replaced my iPod, I have it with me most of the time and might start answering the phone more often...MIGHT.  Another upside to the change is that we decided this would replace our gifts for each other's birthdays coming up quickly, making it much easier on both of us...now if only I could think of something for Father's day (tomorrow).

Secondly the week was a bit "scary" because I was a bit "scary".  This baby ('M') has got my hormones in all sorts of craziness and my mind and body really don't know what to do with it.  I am emotional and easily frustrated.  Most times I don't know if I want to laugh, cry or scream.  It makes for an interesting week, of attempting a positive attitude and patience.  Thankfully, I have an understanding and patient husband who knows to let me be and/or support me as needed.

Third, this was one of those "scary" weeks with the realization that my sweet baby boy is 23 months old!  Technically, he turned 23 months 2 days prior to the start of this week, but how quickly the past 2 years has gone didn't fully dawn on me until we had his final monthly photo shoot.  He is growing up so quickly and while it is a thrill to watch and I relish the everyday changes it is also a little heartbreaking.  These days he is a all boy and quite a little chatterbox.  He loves to play outside, "help" out with things around the house, play with his buttons, drive his truck or lawnmower, color and much more.  It is fairly common to hear him singing to himself, including the "clean-up" song (something he learned from daycare), E-I-E-O, or other tunes that we can't quite identify.  Recently he has also started to make more expressions with his hands when he talks, which often includes putting out his hands when he is asking a question.  It is pretty cute.

Since he is now almost a 2 year old, and this weeks started off in the mid 80s, I decided that Asher and I would enjoy a special treat at snack time on Sunday: Asher's 1st Slush.  In the Klingenmaier family, slush is a tradition.  For as long as I can remember, my mom has made cherry slush at Christmas time, which includes 1 large can of pineapple juice, lemon-lime pop, 1 large can of concentrated OJ, and some pre-sweetened cherry kool-aid.  I am not sure why or how this came to be a Christmas tradition, but I have continued it with our family.  Since Eric really doesn't have an interest in drinking it though, it is typically in our freezer for a large portion of the year, and makes a perfect summer drink.  Thus, I thought despite the sugar content, red dye #40 and a bit of pop (all of which I try to keep away from Asher as much as possible) we would splurge on a treat to cool us off.  Asher thought it was pretty tasty and quickly offered a "ummy, ummy".  However, he did have a difficult time eating it, with much of it ending up on his shirt.  So much so, that when I asked him if he would like a bib, he readily agreed even though he normally refuses.




Daddy helping him out with a straw.
Asher & I enjoying our treat together.
So as I said, my boy is quickly growing up.  Even with the monthly photos he is now a pro and knows exactly what is expected of him.  As soon as I get out the calendar and lay it on the floor, he goes to it, sits down and says, "cheese".  Then he continues to ham it up for me.  Love that boy.


Asher checking himself out on the camera screen.

There is something about this face, that makes me think this is going to be a common look I get when he is a teenager!






Video: Asher (Quite Amused With Himself)

At almost 2 years old, Daddy is also thoroughly enjoying the opportunity to play a little rougher with Asher, as his dad played with him.  Thus, the "Daddy Roller Rolling" game has become a frequent past time in our household.

Video: Daddy Roller Rolling

On Wednesday, it was my day off again.  Because of Memorial Day Weekend it had been a few weeks since I was able to enjoy this special time with my boy.  We had a great day of playing at home and napping.  Additionally, we were also able to spend a good chunk of the day visiting with our friends Britni and Theo, which brings me to another "scary" part of the week.  The reason we were able to visit our friends was because this was the first week that Britni was done working as she awaited the arrival of her baby girl!  It has so hard to believe that 9 months have already passed since she and her husband Fab shared their big news.  It made me realize how quickly our pregnancy is also going and although I still have more than 3 months left, I know it will fly by.  To be honest, this probably didn't help my anxiety level for the week, but we had a great time with our friends nonetheless!
Asher & his buttons!
Cheese!

Asher & Theo: Photo by Britni L.
Asher & Theo: Photo by Britni L.
Asher & Theo: Photo by Britni L.
Asher & Theo: Photo by Britni L.
Asher & Theo: Photo by Britni L.
Working on a puzzle book that a friend of mine gave us.

Also, since Britni was ready to welcome her little one any day, our friend Susan coordinated a girls night out (for dinner) to catch up and celebrate.  I wish I had been able to get a photo, because out of the 7 girls that were able to show up, 5 of us are due in the next three months!  Crazy, but fun to see how our lives are changing together.

In the meantime, Eric took over Asher-care for the evening and they headed out for a Walmart grocery/Subway date.  I was a little sad that I was going to miss bedtime for the 2nd time ever and 2nd time in the last month, but Eric did send me a picture to help me feel better about it.  When I got home (with my crazy emotions) I almost cried that my little boy was in bed already.  But since it was well after 8, it was to be expected.  I was quickly surprised to realize that he was still awake in his crib and saying, "Mama, mama."  Although I usual ignore his attempts for extra attention when he is to be sleeping, I couldn't ignore the cuteness tonight.  Despite the fear that I could be "waking a sleeping giant", I slipped into his room, pulled him from his crib and read him some stories again before praying and putting him back to bed.  I thought he would object at that point, but he seemingly wanted my company just as I wanted his.  Once he had gotten what he wanted and was back in his crib he rolled over and went to sleep without another sound.

A final scary moment: Asher is now old enough to help take out the trash!...something his Daddy is pretty thrilled about.  If only, Asher would maintain the enthusiasm into his teenage years!


After a long (and mostly good) week, it was finally Friday night and we were all happy to kick back and relax a bit.  As I enjoyed the warm air and sweet sounds of the summer evening in my lounge chair in the back yard, I was pleasantly surprised by a certain little someone pulling up a chair to sit with me...and not just one chair, but two, so that he could kick back and relax as well! ;)

Video: Asher & Daddy Flinging Toys in the Yard

On Saturday, we enjoyed a great day of much-needed family time.  Asher was surprised be receiving his first 2-year birthday present, brought over by our beloved neighbor, Marge.

Video: Asher & Eric's New Game: "Good Morning, Good Night"




Showing Daddy what he got.


Just as Asher had been a bit jealous of Emma's birthday presents about a month ago, Emma was the jealous one this time around and desperately wanted to help Asher tear into his gifts.

Then, we headed down to the lake to enjoy the start of the Kenosha Outta Sight Kite Flight festival.  The weather was gorgeous, although not as windy as one would hope for a kite festival.  Nonetheless we enjoyed the sunshine, the views, a shared snow-cone and a picnic lunch at Big Star...a perfect summer morning!



Waiting in line for their snow-cone.









So long story short, the week was a bit "scary", but scary doesn't always mean bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment