This year we spent Memorial Day Weekend at Eric's parents' cottage (or officially now the Lake Home!) To have more time in Michigan, I switched my day off from Wednesday to Friday and Eric took a half day on Friday so that we could head out earlier. Unfortunately, our plan was a complete bust. Although we left a little before 2pm and planned to get there at about 7 local time, we instead hit terrible traffic in Chicago and did not arrive until after 9pm. Yuck. We also timed the trip so that Asher would take his afternoon nap during it, thinking he'd sleep the majority of the way. That also was a bust. The stop-and-go traffic did not lend itself to our toddler napping. Instead, Asher took about a 45 minute nap and was awake the rest of the way. Thankfully though, he was a very good boy along the way. He entertained himself almost the whole way (with my assistance and surprises of books and toys along the way). It was a very annoying drive, but could have been MUCH worse if our little guy had not cooperated. Thank you Asher! :)
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| These Fisher Price books are great for a traveling toddler...Lots & Lots of doors to be opened and closed! :) |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Unfortunately, it is a bit large to hold in the carseat...thus the use of his feet to support the book! :) |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Emma.jpg) |
| We have a tradition of letting Emma stick her head out the window when we arrive at the cottage road. She LOVES the country/lake air! |
On Saturday morning we were up and out at the lake right right off the bat, and we spent the majority of the weekend there, in addition to playing together and with Grandma and Grandpa Migrin and cousin Emmett!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mr.+M+&+Asher.jpg) |
| Asher & Grandpa checking out the lake. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Eric.jpg) |
| The water was COLD, but that didn't stop my boys! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Eric,+Emma,+Mr.+M+&+Asher.jpg) |
| The boys figuring out how to get the boat lift into the water. |
Video: Sand Fun with Daddy
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher loving the mud! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher wanted to get down to the sand from the dock and wanted my help. I told him to go around (as in to the back where it is level with the grass). He opted for this option instead. |
Video: Beatin' Up On Daddy
Video: Grandpa Roller Rolling
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mr.+M,+Asher+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Asher playing with Daddy & Grandpa. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mr.+M,+Asher,+Emma+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Asher getting away! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Testing out the hammock chair (<3) |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Weeeee! |
Video: Just A Swingin'
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Emma,+Asher+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Emma, Asher & Eric taking the paddle boat for a spin. Asher loved it! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Kick, kick, kick. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Mr.+M.jpg) |
| Playing with Grandpa |
Video: Playing with Grandma
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Riding the boat to the boat launch |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Kickin' back & Relaxin'! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher enjoying the pontoon's first trip of the summer. |
Video: Dessert - Migrin Style
After dinner on Saturday night, Eric and I (thanks to the naps we were able to take that afternoon) took advantage of having Grandma & Grandpa around and headed out for a date...first time in over 6 months! It was great. We had a lovely, relaxing time watching X-Men at the local drive-in. Good times! :)
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Mr.+M.jpg) |
| Playing with Grandpa (stinky, P-U!) at breakfast. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mrs.+M.jpg) |
| Eric's mom cooking up some breakfast (on her Awesome range!) |
On Sunday morning, Eric's sister Julie, brother-in-law Dave & nephew Emmett (& of course their dog Molly) joined us at the cottage. Although I wasn't sure that an almost-23 month old and an almost 14-month old would really care to play together, they did great and had a great time together. They also came with a surprise for Asher: an adorable hat that matched (almost) Emmett's. They were SO cute!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Eric,+Asher,+Emmett,+Julie+&+Dave.jpg) |
| Unfortunately, this is the only picture that I got of them both wearing their hats |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Emmett+&+Dave.jpg) |
| Emmett & Dave |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher,+Emmett+&+Dave.jpg) |
| The boys enjoying the beach. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mr.+M,+Emma,+Emmett+&+Eric.jpg) |
| Grandpa had to join in on the fun! |
(2) Videos: Fun in the Mud!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Me.jpg) |
| Proof that I was actually there too! ;) |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Eric+&+Asher.jpg) |
| With all of the fun in the sand, Asher got VERY dirty. After several washes his swim top is still no longer white! |
On Sunday afternoon, after the boys took a nap, we all took the pontoon boat for a spin on the lake...to the ice cream store of course!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher taking the boat for a spin. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Mrs.+M.jpg) |
| I brought a cup of water to drink on our boat trip. Eric asked if I had grabbed Asher's sippy cup and I didn't, knowing that Asher would want to drink from my cup. Sure enough... |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Julie+&+Emmett.jpg) |
| Julie & Emmett |
When we got to the ice cream store, we each picked out our flavors, and I made the decision to get Asher his own kiddy cup of strawberry ice cream (because it was MUCH easier than trying to share my ice cream with him). When Asher realized that he was going to get his own cup ice cream, he immediately handed over the straw & cup of water that he had refused to share the entire way there to make room in his tiny hands to hold his precious treat. He was one HAPPY boy!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Asher & I with our treats |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Mr.+&+Mrs.+M.jpg) |
| Eric's parents enjoying theirs! |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Julie,+Emmett+&+Dave.jpg) |
| Julie, Emmett & Dave |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Eric+&+Molly.jpg) |
| Eric: one hand on the cone and one on the wheel. |
After we got back from our boat trip, we played outside a little while longer and then headed inside for dinner and baby bed time. The boys each grabbed a pull-toy and had a blast walking around the house in circles with their toys following behind.
Video: Cousins!
On Monday, it was Memorial Day and our long weekend was coming to a close. After the long weekend, our little guy was exhausted and quite a little grump. Even so, Eric, Asher, Eric's dad and I headed to Quincy in the van to watch the Memorial Day Parade. Growing up, Memorial Day was always (& still is) a big day in my home town. I grew up attending the traditional parade which was full of floats, marching veterans, the school marching band, decorated bikes, fire trucks, decorated old cars, etc. It was a fun way for our town to get together to remember those that had sacrifice their lives for our great country and freedom. The parade was preceded by memorials at several area cemeteries (complete with the marching band a 7-gun solutes) and it was proceeded by a carnival at the school gym. It was a great (& meaningful) day that was full of great memories. I want Asher to have a similar experience, where Memorial Day is about more than grilling and playing outside (I know, parades & carnivals seem confusing, but somehow it made it meaningful to me). Unfortunately the Quincy parade left much to be desired. It was literally the shortest parade I have ever been to, including almost no decorations. It was so un-Memorial Day-like that I didn't even realize it was over when traffic was just going by! Oh well, one of these days we will get back to Carney for the day, and hopefully I can begin to teach Asher what the day is really about. Until then, the cottage is still a great place to enjoy the long weekend!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Emmett.jpg) |
| Asher & Emmett trying on the old "Rob Migrin Fanclub" shirts that Eric & I had made years ago. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher had his first parade. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Quincy+Parade.jpg) |
| The start of the parade. |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Eric,+Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Family Pic |
When the parade was over, it was time to get the van loaded up to head home. Before we left though, we made sure to get some 2014 Cousins Photos in the hammock...
+Cottage+Vacation+-Asher.jpg) |
| 2012 Cousins Picture: September 3, 2012: Asher at 2 Months old |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+Emmett.jpg) |
| 2013 Cousins Picture: July 7, 2013: Asher at 12 Months old, Emmett at 3 Months old |
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Asher+&+Emmett.jpg) |
| 2014 Cousins Picture: May 26, 2014: Asher at almost 23 Months old, Emmett at almost 14 Months old |
Video: Asher "Driving" the Boat
Eventually it was time to leave and time for naps. We were sad to leave, but happy to have had such amazing weather and to have made such great memories with family. Thankfully, the drive home went MUCH smoother than the drive there!
+Memorial+Day+Weekend+-Me+&+Asher.jpg) |
| Eric took this picture of Asher, Emma & I all sleeping on the way home. Definitely not a glamor shot of me, but he was certain the picture wouldn't make it into the blog, so I HAD to prove him wrong! ;) ...I can't help it I am pregnant, and the cottage is EXHAUSTING! |
No comments:
Post a Comment