Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The A Team Week 3: Not Sure How They (SAHMs) Do It

This week began Eric's first week back to work and my first week alone on maternity leave.  Although, I was looking forward to some one-on-one time with Avery, I was somewhat terrified by the thought of caring for both Asher and Avery at once.  After the previous two weeks of a messed up schedule for Asher though, we decided it would be best for everyone to put him in daycare three days a week.  This was (and is) an immense help to me, but also is a great help to Asher, providing him the fun and attention he craves.  So, for the time being, Asher heads to daycare Monday, Wednesday and Friday, while Avery and I stay home.  Then on Tuesdays and Thursday he stays home with us as well.  Thus, the week started out for Avery and I with a lazy day together.
Starting off the week with baby cuddles and smiles!

On Monday night, Eric and Asher stopped at the Fire Station on the way home to review construction progress.  Asher got to check out the construction equipment and was a happy boy!



Then, when they got home, they discovered that our double stroller (a gift from Eric's parents and grandmother) had arrived!  Both boys couldn't wait to put it together, Asher being especially excited! They immediately got to work and then we went on a quick walk around the neighborhood before dinner to test it out.

Avery wasn't nearly as excited about it as Asher was (he is screaming in this picture) but quickly fell asleep.


The stroller worked great!  It was very easy to push, fit both boys and handled our uneven sidewalks beautifully!  When we got home, Asher discovered another awesome part of the stroller...the box it arrived it...a perfect toddler fort!


Silliness with daddy before bed.

Tuesday, was a very different day from Monday.  Not bad, just different.  Since Asher was home it was by no means relaxing, but we made it.  I really have no idea how stay-at-home moms do it though.  All day, I was completely exhausted as I ran from one boy to the other changing diapers, feeding, playing, etc.  I also fully realized how incredibly real the mommy-guilt is, as Asher would say, "come pay with my Mama" while I was trying to nurse Avery and not able to grant him his adorable request.  I try to make the best of it by playing with Asher when Avery naps and trying to get Asher to play by me when Avery needs my attention, but it is tough.  Knowing how difficult it is, my friend Susan made us dinner this night so that I wouldn't have to think about it.  ...how lucky we are to have made the friends we have at IBC!

Video: Asher Waving Bye-Bye to Eric (Headed to Work)

Despite the busyness of the day, we were able to get some down-time during the afternoon.  Asher (fortunately) took a great nap, giving Avery and I time to rest as well and time to take some photos.
A couple of pictures of some of the cards and flowers we received for Avery's arrival.











Unfortunately, after nap time the day got much more tough.  Asher woke up from his nap on the complete wrong side of the bed and was a major grump for the rest of the day.  So much so that when Daddy got home, Mommy had to put herself in a time-out.  We did make it through the rest of the day, but barely...AND Asher had to have an early bedtime for both his sake and ours!

Avery & our friend Susan.
Wednesday was another mostly lazy day for Avery and I, but before the cuddles could start, we had to head to the pediatrician for his 2 week appointment.

Thursday was another day home with both of my little guys and thankfully went MUCH better than Tuesday.  The morning flew by as we had a playdate with our friends and Asher took another great afternoon nap.  When he awoke from nap time on this day he was in a great mood and we had a good time playing together for the rest of the afternoon.  At one point, not long before Eric got home from work, Asher discovered my bin of scarves while I was nursing Avery.  He had a great time playing with them for a couple of hours and entertaining me as I sat an observed!
Eric helping Asher with his scarves once he got home from work.






I love this picture. It looks like Avery is waving! :)
Later that same evening.  Asher got to play with real Legos (not Duplos) with Daddy for the first time!

Finally, it was Friday and another cuddly day home with my littlest.  Once the boys got home from work and play, we enjoyed a family dinner out at Fazoli's.

Avery sleeping our family dinner away.

Asher & Eric enjoying their breadsticks.
The next day was Saturday and the start to our weekend.  Being that it was a beautiful fall day, we headed downtown to enjoy the last Harbor Market of the season and the sunshine down by the lake.


Avery & I relaxing while the boys watch the ducks and geese in the water.

Walking with my boys.



Eric & Asher stopped to enjoy a band along the way.


Checking out the "pool" (Asher wanted to go in) aka fountain.


He settled for walking around it a couple of times instead.




Eric and Asher having their own photo shoot while I bought an adorable little hat for Avery.

Asher was really hamming it up for the camera!







Asher, Avery & I enjoying the view of our gorgeous blue lake.


When we were done enjoying the Kenosha lakefront, we headed back home for a quick lunch and naps.  Soon afterwards, Grandma and Papa K came down to enjoy the rest of the day with us.

When everyone was up from naps, we all piled into the van and headed down to Gurnee to have dinner with Aaron, Erika and the boys at Red Robin.  The drive was a bit stressful as Avery HATES his carseat.  He has no problem sitting in it, until you buckle him in.  Then, he screams bloody murder!  I remember that Asher used to do that as well.  However, unlike Asher who used to quickly fall asleep and stay sleeping, Avery will eventually fall asleep, but wakes EVERY time we stop (like at a red light) and begins screaming all over again!  It makes me a bit fearful for our road trips to Michigan, but hopefully it is something he will soon outgrow!

Asher coloring on the chalkboard at Red Robin.

The dinner on Saturday night was good, although 6 adults and 5 kids makes it a bit stressful...no conversation, just survival.  We did survive though (both the dinner and the drive with a screaming baby home), and made it home for a good night of rest.  The next day, we headed to church and then Grandma and Papa K. needed to head home.  Before we let them go though, we headed over to Cracker Barrel for another delicious breakfast (I got the Apple Streusel French Toast again...YUMMY!).
Avery upset about being in the carseat again.

Grandma, Asher & Eric playing at Cracker Barrel

Asher schooling Papa in checkers.

When breakfast was over, it was time to say our goodbyes to the grandparents and head home.  When we got home though, Asher noticed that Grandma and Papa had not followed.  He quickly started asking for them and I had to explain to him that they had to go home and did not come back to our house.  I thought he understood, but when we got out of the van and into the house he immediately began to run around the house yelling out for Grandma.  It was kind of a sad moment, but heart warming to know that he loves his grandparents!
Eric & Asher cheering Avery on during tummy time Sunday night.



No comments:

Post a Comment