Wednesday, April 8, 2015

The A Team Week 27: Twilight Zone

I've allowed myself to get a little bit behind again on my blogging, so I can't really say that I remember much of The A Team Week 27.  What I do remember though is that a couple of things that happened made me feel like I was in the Twilight Zone (do do do do, do do do do...).  First, on Tuesday of this week our littlest man turned 6 months old!!!  I will talk more about that in a future post, but I seriously cannot believe that half a year has already gone by since he joined our family and in less than another half year he will be one!!??!!

The other thing that was very strange that happened took place on Friday and continued through the weekend.  In the past, I've written about Asher growing up and asserting his independence by wanting very little to do with Mommy at certain times.  One of those times has been bedtime.  For the first fifteen months of his life, I put him to bed every night after I nursed him.  When that was finished, Eric and I began to take turns with bedtime stories and tuck-in.  This continued until a few months ago.  Then, when Avery was around 2 months old, Asher began to throw huge fits when it was my turn to put him to bed, crying and trying to push me out of the room.  After a month of two of struggling with this, Eric and I decided that maybe it would get better if we allowed him to decide who put him to bed, giving him more control over the situation (and isn't that what every two year old really wants?).  I explained to Eric that if we went this route, there was a good chance that Asher would pick him every time, but we agreed to it anyway (Eric gets a little bored with story time some times).  For a couple of weeks, it went fine and Asher pretty much kept with the original system choosing each of us every other night.  Then, Asher decided he no longer wanted me to read to him and went through about two months straight of only allowing Eric to read to him and tuck him in.  That is where this week began.

After countless weeks of being refused by my boy at bedtime, Eric and I continued to ask Asher every night who he wanted to read with him, even though we "knew" the answer.  On Friday night, we went out to dinner as a family and on the way home were talking about the situation (having no idea how much of the conversation Asher did or did not hear).  Then, after we got home we asked Asher again who he wanted to read to him, thinking we knew the answer, but he surprised us by answering "Mommy"!  We were both shocked, but went with it, wondering how long it would last.  Well, it continued through the weekend, with Asher asking for me every time before bed (including naps) but one...  Neither of us have no idea what made him change his course (maybe he just figured he'd made me suffer enough?), but it seems to have continued.  Since that night he asks for me at least 50% of the time, if not more and although putting him to bed is not always easy, I am quite thrilled to have "earned" me some extra snuggles with my oldest!  :)

So, those were the main events of the week.  Here is a sample of everything else that went on...

Asher likes to play outside after work if the weather is ok.  Since it is still kind of cold out, Avery and I usually sit in the Dining Room and watch.  Today, I looked up to see Asher had gotten his chairs and put them in the snow bank on the neighbor's property...not sure what that was all about.

Avery turned 6 months old!!
Avery at 2 months old!!

Avery at 6 months old!!

He is much more curious and never sits still these day!






On Wednesday, Avery had his 6 month well-visit (more on that later).  Afterwards, we headed to Target to do a little shopping before picking up big brother at daycare.


This week, we also got several things fixed on our ("ghetto cruiser"/beater) car.  While we waited for it to get fixed Eric was given a 2015 GMC Acadia to drive.  We had the vehicle for the better part of the week and it was nicknamed "the Fancy Car".  Asher and Eric were both in love with it, and were sad to see it go when the car was ready to be picked up.
Asher driving the Acadia with Daddy

On Friday Asher got a package in the mail from Grandma & Gramps M.  He was super excited about opening it...and even more excited to find a tractor inside!



On Saturday after swim class we headed to Sam's Club for some groceries, samples and pizza.  We were unfortunately too early for the samples, but did enjoy our pizza and walk around the store.

Finally, on Sunday we enjoyed church and a lazy day at home.  The end to a good (yet slightly strange) week!

Watching How to Train a Dragon 2

No comments:

Post a Comment