Monday, May 23, 2016

A Team Week 86: Strong Enough

This week I began the unthinkable...I started exercising...if you can call it that.  For a while, Eric and I have been praying for direction in our lives for many aspects of it, and for the most part we still do not have the answers we are looking for.  However, there is one thought that repeatedly comes into my mind and I am sure it is one answer to these prayers: "You need to get some exercise".  I tried to ignore this thought for as long as I could as the only time I have to do this is first thing in the morning (getting up earlier than normal mind you) before the kids wake up and my day really begins.  As this thought continued to pop into my mind so did thoughts about the weight I'd like to loose, the exhaustion I typically feel, the aches and pains of my aging body and the anxiety I struggle with and it occurred to me that God was trying to tell me that exercise is what I need to help with all of these issues.  So, I decided I was going to start running...

A few weeks ago when Eric's parents were here visiting, his mom and I went shopping for a bit together so I could use some coupons I had to purchase a new pair of shoes.  My old pair of tennis shoes were purchased back in 2009 before my first nephew was born!  They are more hiking shoes than any sort of exercise shoe and on top of that they are now quite uncomfortable (I realized trying on new shoes that my foot apparently grew from a 7.5 to an 8.5 after having the boys!).  So, I bought a new pair of shoes (yay!) and then I began to run...

Nope, that didn't really happen.  A week went by with no running and at the end of that Eric asked, "so...when are you going to start running to use those new shoes you bought?..."  Feeling challenged (and only slightly annoyed), I swore to start my new program after the weekend and when Monday came my alarm went off at 6am and off I went.  This time for real.  I got outside, I stretched for a bit and then walked a block or so to warm up and then started jogging in my neighborhood.   ...and I continued to jog for about two blocks!  ;)  After barely getting anywhere I realized how incredibly out of shape I am and that running wasn't going to actually happen for a bit.  Instead, I walked and jogged for about 20 minutes and then headed back home.  Since then, the walking has continued and I try to walk as quickly as I possibly can, but with ankles and knees that don't seem to want to cooperate with my new regime the running has been postponed.  At this point it is basically just speed walking for about 1.5 miles a day (which is barely enough calories to discount the fruit snacks I commonly eat at work), but I do hope to build on that as I get stronger and in better shape...and also get used to waking earlier.

So, the question is have I noticed any change in the 2 weeks that have passed since I began this routine?  Well...so far not much.  My weight is decreasing ever so slightly and the aches and pains almost seem to be increasing.  However, the exhaustion is slightly better.  I feel much more awake in the morning and during the day, but when evening comes I am zapped.  By the time the kids are in bed, I am ready to go myself, but there are still things that need to get done.  When I do go to sleep, I actually seem to be sleeping worse.  I have been having incredibly vivid dreams (to the point that I often have a hard time knowing what is and is not real later in the day when I think back of my dream "memories" and I also punched Eric while sleeping one night and having a rough dream), and I also have been waking earlier...probably in anticipation of my alarm going off (which is why I got up early and worked on this post on a Sunday while the rest of my family is still sleeping...and I've been awake since before 5am).

Throughout it all though I am feeling encouraged.  The crisp Spring mornings remind me of the cool summer mornings working at Lake Lundgren Bible Camp and the time to be off by myself to clear my mind and focus on myself and my relationship with my Heavenly Father has been great, and I also have felt encouraged and energized by God's timing as I put in my earbuds on my first day of this routine and heard the song "Hero" by Skillet pumping through my ears (a great song to get me going on my first day) and on the second day was met with a first song of "Strong Enough" by Matthew West  (another great reminder that I may not be strong enough, but I know a God who is)!

Excerpts from Strong Enough: 
I know I'm not strong enough to to be
everything that I'm supposed to be
I give up
I'm not strong enough
Hands of mercy won't you cover me
Lord right now I'm asking you to be
Strong enough
Strong enough
For the both of us
...

I can do all things
Through Christ who gives me strength
And I don't have to be
Strong enough
Strong enough


Beyond my new routine here is what happened the rest of the week...

Monday
Avery enjoyed his first corn on the cob!  On Monday we had corn on the cob with dinner and Avery really wanted one, but I had planned to just cut the corn off for him, thinking he wouldn't be able to eat it on the cob yet.  Eric said I should give him a shot at it though, so I broke one in half, got it ready for him, and he proceeded to eat it like a pro!
Oooo Corn!!
(2) Videos: 1st Corn on the Cob


Asher with his crazy corn design.



Tuesday
Avery got a haircut and he was NOT impressed.  He spent the entire time crying and sitting on Daddy's lap.

After the cut...calling Grammy to tell her about the ordeal that Mommy and Daddy forced him to go through.

Thursday
Asher has been really wanting to cook with us lately.  He has also been interested in making his own concoctions.  This morning, he made sandwiches for him and Avery of graham crackers with Bugles on top.


On Thursday night, Eric had a meeting so the boys and I had a quick dinner and then headed to the "car" park for a while before bed.




Friday
Unlike most weeks, Friday was my day off this week.  The boys' daycare was closed for the day, so I switched my day off and we enjoyed a fun day together at home and at the park where we met some friends to play for a while.  Asher and his friend Elias had a great time running around the playground to stay away from the Sea Monster (me...apparently).
During the morning, Asher was inside helping me but Avery refused to come in so I let him stay out while keeping a close eye on him.  Without his big brother around he happily tried to ride Asher's bike, but his feet wouldn't reach the peddles.

A cool wildflower at the park.

Saturday
A lazy day at home.
"Is there something on my lip?"

Sunday
Today started off with a bit of excitement.  As the kids and I headed downstairs to start the day, I looked out the upstairs window to see a sad sight.  Two baby birds (finch we think) took their first flight and it didn't go well.  We believe the one crashed into the window and died.  The other was sitting on the cold roof (we had a frost advisory that morning so it was barely above freezing) shaking.  Poor little guy (or girl?) was freezing to death!  Saddened by the sight and feeling sorry for the little dude, I made Eric go and get it and bring it into the house so it could warm up a bit.  He was skeptical that it would do any good, but obliged to make me happy.  We made a mock bird cage and let him sit in our dining room for about half an hour.  Then Eric took him outside and placed him into our fenced garden to keep him safe.  After a while, Eric went to check on him and since he was still there he decided he was going to try to put him in a tree.  As Eric went to pick him up he surprised us all by attempting another flight.  Although it didn't look very graceful, and he almost hit Asher in the head, he did make a low fly across the yard to the lilac tree in the back and there he stayed until after church.
Our mock birdcage and the birds on our roof.
Eric & Avery checking in on the little guy.

Hanging out in the lilac tree.

Avery and I snuggling in bed after bath time.

Talking to the stuffed monkey and wearing Mommy's necklace.

While Avery and I got ready for church, Asher and Eric went on their Sunday morning Meijer run.  While they were there they found a little bike perfect for our little guy and brought it home.


When we got home from church, we checked on our little birdie buddy and found him still hanging out in the tree (although he'd made his way down into the base).  We let him hide there a little while longer and then Eric got him out and tried to put him into our Magnolia tree.  As he did so though, the little guy braved up and flew off out of our yard...to live happily every after (or so we choose to believe).



Finally, to close out the week and undo any calories I lost on my new program, the boys and I made a special treat after nap time on Sunday afternoon: Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream!!  With Asher's current interest in helping us cook, I thought this would be a fun way for us all to work together in the kitchen and enjoy a the fruits of our labor!  Asher was a great helper (although I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of him) and Avery enjoyed watching, helping me to mix everything up at the end, and "cleaning" the mixer and spoons afterwards!  :)



14 years later it still works!

Avery & I "cleaning" up


The finished product.  It was delicious!



Video: I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment