Thursday, August 25, 2016

A Team Week 98: Recovery

This week, we worked on healing and maintaining health.  With our Migrin family cottage weekend coming up, we were determined to help Avery get better from HFMD and keep the rest of us from getting it.  We helped make him as comfortable as possible throughout the week, staying home with him on Monday and Tuesday and then did our best to Lysol and disinfect the rest of house to keep it from spreading.  Three weeks later, I think I can safely say that we succeeded!

On Sunday night, Avery slept much better than he had the night before.  He was still uncomfortable, but the exhaustion was overpowering the pain.  He woke up in the middle of the night and I simply took him down to the basement with me.  I laid him on my chest and he happily went right back to sleep snuggled with Mommy.  We spent the rest of the night sleeping there together (well he slept, I napped while trying to keep out of his way and let him get as much rest as he could).
My little sleeping prince.


That day, we said goodbye to Eric and Asher who headed off to work and daycare and we hung out at home together.  It was a very low-key day.  We spent the day in our pajamas (well I did, he wore just a diaper all day as he seemed happier without clothes), watched a lot of cartoons and took a few good naps.  He was feeling better than the day before but needed to catch up on a lot of sleep.

Fruit snacks for breakfast.  He wasn't willing to eat much yet, but he wanted those.

By 8:30am he was getting kind of fussy again and was obviously very tired.  I took him upstairs and gave him another Aveeno Baby Eczema Therapy Bath and then wrapped him up in a towel.  He fell right to sleep.

Toga Party!

Later that morning, our friend Susan dropped off a vile of Essential Oils that are supposed to help with HFMD.  I don't know if they really did anything for him or not, but they smelled great and Avery really enjoyed having me put it on him.  He kept saying "Mo, Mo" and then would point to areas around his body that he wanted me to roll it.  A big thanks to Susan for getting that for us and bringing it over!  It did my heart good to know we had someone close that was willing to go out of her way to help us out!
Avery pretending to roll the essential oils on his toes.

As afternoon came, Avery was rested up and wanting to play outside.  He played with in his water table for a bit and then we headed inside to get out of the heat and play in the basement together.  We had a fun time together since it is quite seldom that we are able to play one-on-one these days.




Video: Block Destroyer!

After playing a while, Avery started to get fussy again, so I asked if he wanted to take another bath.  He did, but when I got him in there he wanted to get out.  I got him to stay in the tub for a minute or two and then wrapped him up and snuggled him.  Again, he passed right out!  That Aveeno therapy bath is some sort of Voodoo magic!

Avery only slept for about 45 minutes this time, so we headed back downstairs to watch some more cartoons.  Soon after he was out again, so we spent the remainder of the day snuggling on the couch while he slept and I watched Netflix.



On Tuesday, it was my turn to go to work while Eric stayed home with Avery and I have to admit that I was thrilled!  After a weekend that Eric and I both agreed was possibly the hardest since Asher was a newborn and then another day home with our little sicko I was ready to get out of the house.  I had not left our property since I'd gotten home the previous Friday so I was ready to go!  Avery was thankfully feeling quite a bit better, but he had had a fever the night before so we wanted to give him one more day to recover before sending him back to daycare.  At 6am I got up for my morning walk and Avery woke up at the same time so I took him with me.  We walked around the neighborhood and when I found these white weeds, I couldn't help but bring them home to show Asher the color experiment.
Our white weeds in 3 different colored water cups.

Avery and Eric had a good day home together.  From the sounds of it he was pretty much back to normal, so Eric didn't let his illness hold them back.  Instead they had a fun day playing at home and then took a road trip to see one of the projects that Eric has been working on.










Video: Baby Planking

That evening, Avery passed another milestone and moved into a Big Boy Bed!  Since he had been climbing out of his crib whenever he felt like it, I decided that we should change his bed to the toddler rail.  This would allow him to not only get out of his bed but to also get back into it.  I wasn't sure how it would go but we were both pleasantly surprised.  For the most part Avery has stayed in his bed pretty well.  He often cries when we put him down to sleep and will whine for a few minutes at his door (which he thankfully hasn't figured out how to open yet), but then he usually gives up rather quickly and then goes back to his bed to lie down.  So far we have only come into his room to find a mess a few times and it has only been some clothes or toys thrown around the room.  Usually we find him in the mornings sitting in his rocking chair and reading books (he LOVES his books!).
Big Boy Bed

So excited!

Trying it out!

My Big Boy!

On Thursday, Eric was in the neighborhood of my office and knowing it had been a rough week decided to surprise me with a DQ Blizzard treat!  YUM!  That evening I had to work a little later, so he surprised the boys with some fun at the Lake for a bit.
The blizzard was larger than the cup it was made in.  I wasn't sure how to get the lid off without making a big mess.




Finally, it was Friday and we had survived the week!  With a family full of healthy parents and kiddos we loaded into the van and headed to Michigan for our family weekend at Eric's parents'.
Our colored flowers at the end of the week (not looking so great anymore, but Asher did think it was pretty cool how they changed color!).

No comments:

Post a Comment