It all started on Monday (May 15) Night when Asher and I finished reading through our first "big kid" book together: Charlotte's Web. I wasn't sure if he was really following it at first, but then he started asking me questions about the characters and calling out their names, so I knew he was following along. It was fun to read a real chapter book together and I look forward to digging into some more in the future (I'll take any good suggestions for a young boy).
![]() |
| (FB: We finished our first "Big Kid Book" tonight with one of my favorites!! |
After putting Asher to bed that night I enjoyed my own "fiction" as I daydreamed about about our questions in life being answered and my anxieties magically lifted away as I ate my Chocolate Bomb dessert (a Mother's Day gift from the Meijer bakery that I had saved for later).
This week, the boys and I also enjoyed a lot of make believe as we discovered the filters and Facebook and had lots of fun playing "dress up" as we took snapshots of ourselves.
On Wednesday, the boys and I enjoyed our day together and at one point I heard the boys working on their own make-believe when Asher said, "Avery, want me to make you a big launch board that I can launch you to Jesus?" and Avery enthusiastically replied, "Yeah!". #boymom.
![]() |
| Asher, Avery & I built a tower and then played make-believe as it got attacked by dinosaurs. |
Video: Shake Your Booty!
On Wednesday afternoon, the boys made a "dance floor" on the back porch and then proceeded to make-believe their own dance party as they shook their booties at me.
(2) Videos: Our Crazed T-Rex/Ninja
Later on Wednesday, Avery played make-believe on his own as he transformed into a baby T-Rex to attack me and then a baby ninja jumping off the toy box.
On Thursday night, Eric had a work function at the Kenosha airport. The boys were sad that Daddy wasn't home for bedtime, but he sent some make-believe fun home with snapshots of Dusty Crophopper and friends for the boys to see! ;)
On Friday night of week 139, we took a short break from the world of Make Believe to enjoy some time with old (and new) friends. Earlier in the week, my friend Christina messaged me and asked if we would be around on the weekend since they would be in town for a wedding. I was super excited to hear from her since I had not seen her in about 3.5 years. Christina was the very first friend that I made in Kenosha and since she is a very easy person to get along with we hit it off right away. Unfortunately, like most of our friends here in Kenosha she has since moved away and we have rarely seen each other since. We planned to have dinner with our hubbies and kiddos (her daughter Tali who is a few months younger than Asher and her son Harding who is a few months older than Avery) at our house. It was a great night of Qdoba and catch-up conversation for the adults while the kiddos hit it off immediately and had a blast running around the house and playing together!
![]() |
| Christina & I in 2007 |
![]() |
| Christina & I in 2017 with our kiddos |
![]() |
| Tali, Asher, Avery & Harding! They all hit it off almost immediately, and Tali seemed to enjoy Asher's company...can't help but see the hand on his knee! |
That night, while I was putting Avery to bed, he did not want me to leave and every time I would try to go he would pull me back to him and say "don't go." When that started to look to him like it might not work, he used a new tactic and in his little voice told me that I was his favorite Mommy in the world. I might have been playing my own make-believe as I laid back down with him and chose to believe he was just loving on me rather than playing me!
Video: "Mommy, oo my favwite Mommy Wo-ld"
For the weekend, we had a pretty low-key time with more make-believe "dress up" via Facebook filters, the boys pretending that they were Mommy & Daddy as they walked around in our shoes, make-believe that we might someday find a new house and the answers to our unknowns as we toured an Open House, imagining that we have an Asher-sized monkey in our tree and then some general playtime/fun around the house.
Video: Biking in Puddles
Make-Believe fun on Saturday night with Avery and Mac Photo Booth...
![]() |
| A boy & his tree. Asher has learned how to climb up into our tree and the littlest monkey desperately wants to figure out how to get up there too! |
![]() |
| The boys testing out the grass at the house we visited. |
On Sunday night for a moment the fun of make-believe was gone and reality sunk in as I sat on the living room floor folding and sorting mounds of laundry that had been sitting downstairs all week begging for attention. I had just commented to Eric that these days my life seems to consist only of dishes, laundry and constant cleaning/straightening when took a quick break and scrolled through Facebook to find this.
![]() |
| Credit |
Couldn't help but laugh at the reality which is us and our "method", which often requires things to be rewashed because we don't know which pile is the clean one! All I could think is that I will be lucky if I can get everything put away before the new mound builds up.
The next day was Monday and A Team Week 140 began again with more make-believe as we enjoyed a super-hero event dinner at Chili's together. The boys were thrilled to dress up in their superhero costumes and even Eric and I got in on the fun with Superman and Underdog t-shirts.
![]() |
| Me and my Batman! |
![]() |
| For dressing up, each of the kids got a free dessert, which they "shared" with Eric & I. Avery was very excited (& possessive of his goods!) |
![]() |
| Stud pose. |
![]() |
| Smile Batman! |
![]() |
| After dinner he is no longer Batman, but now Fatman! |
![]() |
| Avery wanted to show off his belly too! |
My Heros 
The remainder of week 140 went VERY quickly as we left town and headed to Michigan on Thursday night for Memorial Day weekend. Just as we had started the week prior with the imaginary life of Wilbur and his spider friend Charlotte, we ended this week with the same. Thanks to a friend down the street, I tracked down a copy of the original Charlotte's Web on DVD and we finished out our week at home by introducing the video version of the story to the boys for the very first time...and I've been singing "Chin up" every since...



















































No comments:
Post a Comment