Wednesday, July 19, 2017

4th of July Weekend at the Lake

As I mentioned in my previous post, we spent the 4th of July weekend at Eric's lake home (a.k.a. the cottage) in Michigan.  It was a fun-filled family time (although stressful for Eric and I as we began the showing process of our home and I fretted over the idea of our leaving our first home) spent with boat/jet ski rides, swimming, golf carting, eating, treating and more...

On Saturday morning, the boys woke up bright and early as usual and immediately were ready to go outside and play with Asher's new toys from his birthday the day before.  After making some superheros inside, the T-Ball set was next at batt. (pun intended) :P  Asher tried it first and took to the "clobbering" strategy rather than allow me to teach him how to hold a bat correctly.  Avery on the other hand picked up the bat and was pretty much a natural right from the get go.



While Asher hit balls, Avery played the outfield.



Video: Avery's a Natural

Video: Chasing Minnows
After baseball, the boys took a little break for some fishing.  Eric and Avery chased minnows toward Asher while he held the minnow net to scoop them out of the water.

Next the boys went back to playing with new toys and when I say 'boys', I mean ALL of them.  Eric got out his drone to fly around while Asher and Avery played with Asher's new nature kit.






After studying leaves, sticks, grass, bugs and a minnow with the nature kit the boys were ready to do their favorite thing to do at the cottage...play in the lake.  They got their suits on while I (& my stitched foot) watched from the sidelines.  Shortly after, the cousins (& of course their parents) arrived and the real fun began!


Cousins on the water trampoline

Me and my 'Stinker Pinker'

The little boys awaiting their jet ski taxis

<3


He thinks he's ready to go it alone already!

My corny boys!  :P

Checking out the animals at the island petting zoo.

On Sunday, we enjoyed another day of sunshine (mostly).  For the majority of the day, we enjoyed the typical cottage activities.  However, in the afternoon we celebrated Asher's birthday with the family and a Batman party (which I'll write on another time).
Avery & Daddy fishing on Sunday morning.




Monday was our last full day in Michigan, and we did our best to make the most of it, starting with the boys taking an early morning jet ski ride to the ice cream store for donuts!

Video: Look Uncle Baby Robby!
Asher & Emmett "show Uncle Rob the fish at the end of the dock"...

The swimmers...

...the onlookers


War!  Pirates and their ships

Avery terrorizing Uncle Rob








War!


Just floating around

Tired Princess

Asher, Emmett and I working on Asher's new legos.

Surfing in Middle Lake.


Family boat ride to the ice cream store...all 14 of us!


Olive, Molly, Emmett & Asher directing Eric to the ice cream store.








Yum! (Seriously though I tried Mint Mackinaw Island Fudge and it was amazing!)








After our trip to the ice cream store, we enjoyed some time around the camp fire and even though we'd all just had ice cream we let the boys each roast a marshmallow...cause that's what you do at the lake! ;)


Oops!



Uncle Dave helping Avery

I like the silly way Avery and Dave are looking at each other

Cooling the marshmallow.

Blow Hard!

Mouth full...thumbs up!  (& it looks like somebody is tired!)



On Saturday and Sunday nights, Eric and Asher slept out above the garage while Avery and I slept in our room.  The first night I was able to get him to sleep in Asher's bed, but the next night he insisted on sleeping with me.  It is amazing how someone so little can take up so much of a Queen size bed!

Finally, it was Tuesday and it was the day to head back home.  It was also the Fourth of July!  We started the day by decorating Eric's mom's golf cart for the annual golf cart parade.  The kids had a blast and worked on it for an amazing amount of time, doing a very good job!










Avery getting in some snuggles with Dady.


Once the cart was decorated we headed down to the lake where Asher wanted to try out water skiing for the very first time!  Before they got on their swimsuits though we made them get into the hammock to take our traditional cousins photo!  The photos turned out awesome!  I actually had a hard time picking which ones to put into the blog!  Love these littles!


Gramps wanted in on the action!

Asher trying out Uncle Rob's wakeboard.






Ready to ski!

Uncle Rob giving Asher a quick on-land lesson.

Before Asher went out on the lake, I took a bunch of photos of him because I thought for sure that he would freak out before it happened and not want to go.  I was totally wrong!  He was so brave and did awesome!  They pulled him around the middle of the lake and he never fell and when he got back he immediately asked if he could go again!  The next time he did fall (because of some jerky driving by Uncle Rob) and I thought he would now be scared and not want to go again.  Again, I was wrong.  He swam back to shore, got back on the board and went for another spin around the lake!  I was super proud of my little man/future Olympian waterskier (yeah...maybe that will be a sport when he is old enough!) :)



Video: Asher Water-skis for the 1st Time






Avery watching big brother waterski

Asher swimming back to shore after falling.

Uncle Dave and Emmett watching






Migrin boys.

When Asher was done waterskiing.  Eric's mom, Julie, Olive, Avery and Emmett piled into the golf cart and headed over to where the parade would start in a little while.  In the mean time, Asher (apparently now too cool for such childish things) stayed back and rode the jet ski with Eric.  Then we headed over to the road to watch the parade go by.





Asher was the only kid that stayed behind and therefore got to pick up A LOT of candy that was thrown to us!


It is hard to see in this picture, but Avery's face looking at Asher is hilarious!  He realized that Asher is getting all of the candy that is being thrown out of the parade carts and his quite obviously jealous and bummed that he wasn't there too.  I felt for him when I saw this face but also couldn't help but laugh.  Lucky for him though we made Asher share all of the candy he collected with his brother and cousins when they returned!  


Asher and Emmett collecting the remaining candy

Olive enjoying a sucker

Flying my little man.

Nose dive...literaly!  :)


When the parade was over, we all did one more thing before heading home.  We got into the boat one last time so that Eric could get his annual water skiing in and Rob could do the same with his wakeboard.  They enjoyed their water sports while we enjoyed watching them.  Then, it was time for lunch and then we parted ways and headed back to Kenosha.






Rob (in his almost-30 old age) trying to show off for the kids!


The kids are trying to get Rob to do a Tantrum

Our trip home went amazingly well and in record time.  We were home by early afternoon giving us time to unload the van and enjoy a few colored smoke bombs and sparklers with the kids before bed!

Video: This Little Piggy
While Eric and Asher went in to McDonalds to get drinks and use the bathroom, Avery and I waited in the van where he performed his rendition of This Little Piggy...who went to Meijer, got donuts and went to McDonalds before going "wee wee wee wee" all the way home!


No comments:

Post a Comment