Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Michigan Adventure Day 6: Lake Day/Date Day

On Wednesday of our vacation we had planned to spend the day playing on and in the lake, but when we woke up to thunderstorms that plan changed.  Thus, when we woke up Thursday morning (day 6) to sunshine and a cloudless sky we knew exactly what we would do for the day: pretty much nothing.

Once we'd had some breakfast, we got on our swimsuits and headed down to the beach for the rest of the morning.  It was a little too breezy for me to get down to my suit, but the boys didn't mind and had a blast splashing around and getting very dirty.  Eric also enjoyed some time flying his drone around the area while the boys played.

























A little later in the morning, the boys needed a break from their play, so we all went for a walk on the shore to the nearby point.




The boys picked me a flower




We saw a bald eagle (the 2nd one of our vacation)



Video: Lobster Avery


After a fun morning at the lake, we headed back inside for the boys to get some lunch and naps and Eric and I to head out on our own for an afternoon date!




For our date, Eric and I drove to Charlevoix where we enjoyed a delicious lunch at The Weathervane Restaurant on the channel and then a walk around the area to see the sights.













While Eric and I walked around, we found two little duckies swimming next to the break wall in Lake Michigan as their mother looked on from a nearby rock.  They swam around and when she seemed content that they were in no danger she tucked her head into our feathers to take a little nap.




Goofball.






A seagull with a fish

On our way back down the break wall we saw the baby ducks again.  They had moved closer further down the break wall and were nearing open water.  As they swam near the corner of the wall, mommy duck became very tense and started quacking like crazy as if to yell at them and tell them not to go past the corner to open water.  They continued on and mommy immediately dove in after them and Eric and I couldn't help but laugh and sympathize with the parent as her kids misbehaved and she swam off to ensure their safety!



We saw another penny squasher and made another souvenir for the boys.


As I said, the boys enjoyed naps and lunch while we were gone but when we they woke up they got to play with Grammy and Gramps at the lake for the rest of the day.






Meanwhile...Eric and I finished off our time in Charlevoix and then headed back to Gaylord with a detour in Petoskey for a short walk together.



Finally we made it back to Gaylord and after a quick grocery stop at Meijer (where I promptly fell asleep in the van waiting for Eric) we were back at the cottage.  There, the boys were happy to see us.  Avery showed off how brave he was now jumping off the dock unassisted and Asher was excited to play Cootie with me again.  We enjoyed a spaghetti dinner with the family, roasted s'mores at the fire again and then headed to bed.

Note: At bedtime I read Stuart Little with the boys and the chapter I was reading had a dentist's patient talking while the dentist's fingers were in his mouth.  The words were written to sound like he might sound and I did my best to read them accordingly.  The boys thought it was absolutely hilarious, and their giggles that evening made my heart leap with joy.  Now, more than two weeks later Avery still gives me a funny look, tries to talk like I did then and then says, "Do it Mommy! Do it!"
Video: Avery Jumps!











No comments:

Post a Comment