Video: Best Time Ever!
Avery talking about our trip the weekend prior to Chicago
Video: Lift Off!
Avery and Asher flying around the house in a space shuttle
This week was Thanksgiving. After three days of the usual work, school and daycare we loaded into the van and headed to the U.P. to spend the holiday with my parents. The drive up on Wednesday night was uneventful and when we woke on Thursday morning it was a gorgeous Thanksgiving day.
We enjoyed a relaxing morning playing in the basement, crafting with Grandma and playing in the leaves outside. When it approached lunch time we got ready to go and then headed to Aunt Carol and Uncle Joe's camp for lunch.
At camp, the first thing we did was check out the buck that Grandpa got that morning. Neither of the boys had ever seen a hunter's kill before and Asher had a lot of questions. Once we checked out the deer the boys went off to play with cousin Mickelson until it was time to eat.
In the meantime, our chefs worked hard in the kitchen to get lunch ready. When they were finished we all enjoyed a deliciously beige lunch. Yum!!!!
![]() |
| Beige lunch...Turkey, gravy, potatoes, bread, stuffing....Yum! |
![]() |
| The boys were not as excited to eat as we were but they did eat a little. I was surprised that Asher didn't eat more because he is usually a good eater, but he wasn't very interested. |
![]() |
| Mickelson, Avery & Asher |
![]() |
| Little cousin Jameson |
![]() |
| Love those baby blues! <3 |
When everyone had finished eating, all of the kids and parents headed outside for a scavenger hunt that my cousin Cindy set up. We enjoyed a beautiful walk in the woods on a warm and sunny fall day.
![]() |
| Little cousin Calvin |
![]() |
| Avery running the sword right through Eric! |
When we got back from the scavenger hunt it was time for dessert. Eric and I enjoyed some awesome apple pie that my mom made and Avery had some vanilla ice cream. When Asher said he did not want any dessert, the red flags should have gone off...but I was still oblivious to the truth.
The rest of the day we spent playing around camp. Asher played with Mickelson, Avery colored with me, both boys enjoyed gator rides with Daddy and Eric even got to show off his drone for a bit.
![]() |
| Asher blowing raspberries on Jameson's belly. |
![]() |
| Avery passed out on his gator ride. |
![]() |
| Avery trying out his new crayons, stickers and coloring book. |
![]() |
| Watching the boys play in the loft brought back a lot of memories for me. I spent many fond hours playing with my cousins up there too! |
![]() |
| Little cousin Jameson with cousin Bob. |
When dinner time approached, the kids were looking exhausted so we grabbed some leftovers to go and then headed back to Mom and Dad's house. Asher was especially tired and his cheeks were flushed. I realized then why he didn't want lunch or dessert. He was sick. Sure enough I took his temperature when we got back to my parents' and he was running a fever. We snuggled up on the couch for a little while and then put the kids to bed, hoping that everyone would feel better in the morning.
At around midnight that night Asher woke up to go to the bathroom and then ended up face-down at the toilet. I heard him and Eric in the bathroom next door and got up to see how he was doing. When Eric said that I could go and that he would handle it I was/am forever grateful. (I don't deal well with vomit).
The next day was a rainy Friday. With Mom at work, Dad out hunting and a sick boy we just had a very lazy day together at the house. That evening though, Mom and Dad watched the boys while Eric and I headed to Escanaba to catch a movie and enjoy a long Meijer date.
![]() |
| I really wanted to get this penguin, but Eric wasn't as excited about it as I was! |
When we got home from our date we found two things: First, my mom was in Asher's room. She said he was sleeping very restlessly and needed some snuggles. Second, I found two spiders in my bed, for which I blame Asher and my cousin Cindy for gifting us the hideous spiders on our scavenger hunt (the spiders have since found their way to the trash unbeknownst to the boys).
Soon after we went to bed and not long after that Asher woke up screaming. Since Eric had spend much of the night before with our sick boy, I went into his room and snuggled with him in hopes to go back to my own bed shortly. I never made it. Instead, I had a VERY LONG night with my oldest screaming, crying, thrashing, flailing, grinding his teeth, you name it. It was a night full of night terrors for my boy and no sleep for me. During the day he had been feeling much better keeping all of his food down and playing like normal, but at night everything changed. It seemed our weekend was one of Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde. During the day he was a happy, seemingly healthy little boy but during the night everything changed and he was basically a crazed sleeper. No fun for anyone!
On Saturday we had one last full day in the U.P. and since Grandma and Papa were both home for the day we headed to the tree farm to pick out and cut down our Christmas tree.
![]() |
| Deer print |
![]() |
| Avery found a tree perfect for him. |
![]() |
| Asher found a tree (aka a branch) that he liked too and decided to take it home with us. |
![]() |
| Us with our tree. |
![]() |
| My boys working together to cut down the tree. |
After we got and paid for our tree (Asher was confused why we didn't pay for his "tree" or have it tied up) we headed back to Mom and Dads where we spent the remainder of the day being lazy at the house and watching the Michigan-Ohio State game (which didn't go as we'd hoped).
![]() |
| Avery in the fort Daddy made for them. |
![]() |
| The boys in their "Go Blue" shirts |
![]() |
| Working on a Christmas craft. |
When the day was done we all headed to bed again for another night of very little sleep and another night with our crazed night terror prone child. Eventually though morning came and it was Sunday. We ended our weekend with church and then lunch at in Menominee with Grandma and Papa and then it was time to head back home to Wisconsin.
Sunday Night Quote from Asher:
So I just told Asher to do something and he asked why. Eric responded with “Mommy makes a good point”. Asher did what he was told and then before going back to bed came and whispered to me, “Mommy, if you make good points then Daddy should have let you get that penguin”
😂
😂 ...true...very true...but with thoughts like this I am fearing the teenage years! 





































































































No comments:
Post a Comment