Wednesday, April 11, 2018

A Team Week 182: Lucky Charms

This week was St. Patrick's day and although our 'luck' really wasn't anything out of the ordinary, I think that we are always quite lucky...

The week started off with a glimpse of Spring and while it never got real warm and didn't last long, it was enough to allow for a little grilling and a family walk/ride outside to enjoy the longer days of sunshine.

On Wednesday I didn't feel quite so lucky though.  That morning, Asher told us that it hurt when he brushed his teeth and that there was a little blood.  He has had a loose tooth since January that has been stubbornly hanging on.  I thought that this likely meant that the tooth was about to fall out, but when I looked in his mouth I realized that he actually has a new tooth coming through the skin BEHIND the baby tooth.  I felt awful when I realized this because due to a cancelation and my forgetfulness the boys haven't been to the dentist in a year.  If I had taken them sooner they likely would have noticed the issue on an X-Ray and pulled the baby tooth to allow for the new one.  Instead, I didn't get around to taking him and now fear that he will have a messed up smile for a while until he gets the inevitable braces the are in his future.

Panicked to try and remedy the situation for my boys as quickly as possible, I called up his dentist and tried to make an appointment but they could not get me in for over a month.  I explained the situation to the receptionist and she told me that I should try to remove the tooth myself.  She then went on to suggest that I use a Kleenex or cotton ball to grip the tooth and then twist it to break the roots.  I almost vomited as she explained this to me over the phone (at work) and even now can barely type this without feeling ill.  As soon as I got off the phone I relayed this information to my good friend Jen, who happens to also be a dentist (in Atlanta)...

Wednesday Afternoon Texting Conversation with Jen:
Tracy:
I called the dentist.  The woman I spoke said we should try to get Asher's tooth out on our own "by grabbing it with a Kleenex or cotton ball and twisting it" 🤢
Wanna come visit? 😉😝
Jen:
Haha

I'll do it
Tracy:
It would probably be cheaper to fly you up than to pay our dentist to do it and then I wouldn't have to! 😂. ...and added bonus I'd get to see you again! ❤️
Jen:
Sweet!!!!! 
Take a picture when you get home. How loose is it
Tracy:
It is wiggly but not that loose
Maybe I should have him chew on some teething toys?


While I was texting Jen, I was also texting Eric...
Tracy:
I made appointments for the boys at 2pm in April 18 at Kerber smiles
That was the earliest they could do for both at the same time
The woman I spoke with said we should try to get Asher's tooth out on our own "by grabbing it with a Kleenex or cotton ball and twisting it" 🤢
Eric:
Not it. 
Tracy:
Me either!!
Wondering if we can pay someone to come do it...or invest in a big nerf gun!
Jen (at work) said "man up!"
Eric:
Man away. 
Also, there is nothing we could have done to make that tooth come in differently. 
Eric (Later that Day): Hope your day is going well. I can stop thinking about having to pull Asher's tooth. Barf. 
I LOVE YOU!!! 

For the rest of the day I continued to worry about the tooth but I just couldn't bring myself to touch it...and obviously Eric wasn't planning to do it either.  The next morning I took the picture and sent it to Jen...

Thursday Morning Texting Conversation with Jen:
Jen:
That's totally normal. My experience though someone will have to pull the baby one out
Great photo!!! And possibly about to get his 6 yo molars! (Side Note: He has since complained that the back of his mouth hurts...so good call Jen!)  So if he complains of pain in the back that's what that's from
It's super simple
Wish you were right here we will do it, no traumatic experience and he would get the tooth fairy
Tracy:
I am just sad that he will have a goofy smile for a while.  As I'm sure you agree teeth & eyes are the most important physical trait to me 
Jen:
Yes but if you get it out now it will do a lot of self correct 

On Thursday night it was my turn to put Asher to bed and suddenly I felt brave.  I grabbed a Kleenex and attempted to twist the tooth (barf).  It didn't move easily but I could tell that Asher was game and although he was afraid it would hurt he was also obviously excited by the prospect of getting it out.  And so, I continued to twist, coaching myself not to be sick the whole time.  The Kleenex not only helped grip the tooth better but it also helped me to separate myself from the situation a bit.  When I felt a root break though as I twisted I could not ignore what I was doing any longer.  I was repulsed but had already come this far.  Asher in the meantime was tense from the situation but I asked him repeatedly to tell me if he wanted me to stop and even though he was concerned by the blood that was beginning to cover the Kleenex he urged me to press on (with a few breaks along the way).  After what seemed like hours (it was only a couple of minutes) the last root finally broke and the tooth was free!!  I was completely disgusted and utterly thrilled with myself all at once!!  ...and our little guy was pretty happy to have his first offering to the Tooth Fairy!

That night, my Facebook post looked something like this...

As a parent there are sometimes things you are called to do that you do not want to. Yesterday we realized that Asher’s stubborn loose tooth still refused to come out but a new tooth has erupted BEHIND it. I called the dentist to see what we should do and when I was told that we should use a Kleenex and try to get it out by twisting it I just about tossed my lunch. All day I was so grossed out by the thought but it quickly became apparent that I wasn’t going to get Eric to do it either as he was even more grossed out than I. So...tonight I #mommedup and did it!! The tooth is out and we have a happy little boy anxious to see what the tooth fairy will bring tonight! 🧚‍♂️ 




After Asher excitedly ran upstairs to show his tooth and his mouth's new empty space to Eric and Avery we put the tooth in a small bag and then continued our bedtime routine.  Then we put the tooth into the "My Missing Tooth" Monster Pillow that I had gotten for him and read Pete the Cat and the Lost Tooth, which I'd bought ahead of time and set aside until the big day.  When the story was done Asher went to bed super easy as he could not wait for the Tooth Fairy to come.  I said goodnight to my boy and made sure the monster pillow was easily accessible and then waited for him to fall asleep.

In the meantime I printed out a certificated for his first tooth from the Tooth Fairy and rolled it up with a ribbon and two fairly crisp dollar bills.  Then, when I knew he was asleep I snuck in to his room, quietly removed the small bag of tooth from the pillow and then replaced it with the Tooth Fairy's reward.  I was a bit nervous that he would wake as I worked to make the switch and had hidden the reward in case he did.  At one point the bag made a lot of rustling noise as I tried to pull  it from the pillow and it did make him pause and then roll over but thankfully he never woke up.  I finished what I had to do and then got out of his room...Mission Accomplished!



The next morning, Asher woke feeling incredibly lucky as he discovered his certificate and two dollars waiting for him!! <3  He later got even more excited because he found another dollar on the floor (which was already his and SHOULD have been in his piggy bank) and decided that the Tooth Fairy gave him $3 but one fell out of the pillow.  :P  So, on Friday morning Asher happily went to school to show off the new hole between his remaining teeth while Avery and I had a fun morning home alone together.

He had a bath with a TON of bubbles...
Facebook Post: Baby bubbles. Love my one-one-one time with Little Man. 









We also enjoyed singing some songs together.  I love that he enjoys singing with me.  Asher has never been too interested in singing...
(2) Videos: Avery & I Sing...

Jesus Loves Me

The Donut Song

We practiced some letters together (he is a BIG fan of 'A' for Avery and 'P' for his friend Ponder)...

We worked on our decorations to brighting up Grammy hospital room when she had her surgery...



...and we play with Legos...

Boy do I love spending that one on one time with Avery!  When that was all done though we headed over to Asher's school to pick him up and bring him to his Talent Show audition.  Everyone that wants to do something for the show had to audition and his class is doing a dance to Fight Song by Rachel Platten.  His teacher said that anyone in the class that wanted to perform could.  Since Asher isn't really a center-of-attention kind of guy and isn't a big fan of song and dance I didn't think he'd want to participate but I was wrong.  So, we went to the audition and he preformed the dance along with about 8 or so others from his class.  Since they are in Kindergarten pretty much everything they do is cute, but I will be honest and be the first to say that Asher was "that kid" during the entire song.  He barely knew any of the dance other than the parts where they get to jump and "make an explosion."  He really got into those parts and basically continued that throughout the song.  I couldn't help but notice that his teacher strategically placed him in the back row behind his classmate Zoe who obviously takes dance and knew every movement perfectly.

Video: Talent Show Audition

Asher & Avery leaving Asher's school hand in hand <3

After we got home (& mommy got a little rest), we spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out together.  The day before, Asher had been talking about wanting to build a Lego desk and then after I picked him up the conversation continued.  Originally I thought that he was talking about building a small desk for his Lego guys or at most stuffed buddies, but soon realized that he was talking about building a full-sized desk for him to use in his room!  On top of that, he really wanted me to help him build it.  I tried to explain to him that building something that big out of Legos would take both a LOT of Legos AND a VERY LONG time.  This didn't deter him though and he pressed on.  Since I didn't have an excuse on hand to not help him I started laying bricks.

FB: That moment when you’re asked to help build a life-size desk out of Legos and you can’t think of anything more pressing that needs to be done... #ithinksomeoneiscallingme #qualitytime#mothersonbonding

After more than an hour of building we only had a few rows of the desk completed and started to talk about other big things built of Legos.  This got me on a YouTube tangent.  I pulled up some videos of large Lego sculptures to watch and then Asher wanted to head to the Library to look for Lego books.  ...I was thrilled for something else to do, so off we went to the library.

Each of the boys picked out a book and played for a while at the library and then it was time to head back home.  Before doing so though they spotted the nearby playground and begged for me to let them play.  It was very cold and breezy outside so I pulled the van right in front of the playground and told them that they could play but Mommy was going to stay in the van.  Avery kept asking for my help with things he wasn't quite big enough for but I didn't budge and told him to either figure it out or come into the van with me.  Once they were sufficiently red-faced and red-handed from the bitter 'Spring' weather we headed back home.

The next day, we went on an excursion to go and check out a couple of houses.  As expected none of them spoke out to us.  The first house was interesting and would have been a fun house to flip, but I wasn't a fan of the yard and honestly it was too much house for us.  The master bedroom was literally the size of the kitchen, dining room and living room combined.  It was kind of ridiculous and although I design and draw big houses for a living I don't know what we would do with that kind of space.

My loves playing at a lake down the street from house #1.

After our house tours we headed up to the Racine Theatre Guild to take the boys to their very first play: Peter Pan.  It was a one hour show and was enjoyed by all.  The boys were a little antsy, but they still seemed to enjoy everything.




Because Saturday was also St. Patrick's Day after seeing Peter Pan we finished out the day with some green family fun...
Facebook Post: Who needs a pot of gold when you’ve already won the jackpot?! #oneluckymom #stpatricksday

Green Mac & Cheese and Ruebens for St. Patty's Day dinner.




On Sunday we were lucky enough to finish out the week with a taste of Spring.  The warm weather didn't last long but we will take whatever we can get!
Our 'Winter' Family picture on the last Sunday of the season.

Asher practicing his art

Eric and Asher painting the 'snow plow' on the front on the boys' gator.

On Sunday night we ended our week by finishing up our decorations for Grammy's hospital stay and enjoying the silliness of our family and the creativity of Eric.

(3) Videos: Rooster Tail
Facebook: Just another day in the Migrin household #mythreeboys






(2) Videos: Armpit Farts

No comments:

Post a Comment