Saturday, March 2, 2019

A2H 2019.05-06: Bring on Spring!

When Eric and I were planning our family (or as much as a couple can plan something that is actually completely out of their control), I always said I did not want a winter baby...especially one with a birthday near Christmas.  Because of this, the very first time I got pregnant I found it quite ironic that my due date was for mid-December.  Since all of this is really out of our control though I was thrilled of the blessing and put my Winter Baby restrictions aside.  Unfortunately though, shortly after we learned of that pregnancy I miscarried and we were never able to meet our little one.  Fourteen months later, Asher was born...10 days after the first day of Summer.  Twenty-seven months after that, Avery was born...2 days after the first day of Fall.  Two awesome little boys which both fell perfectly into our plan, placing all of our birthdays and our anniversary in the months of June-September.  Fast forward to May of last year when we discovered that we were pregnant again.  It was then that I realized our plans would change as I was given a due date of mid January.  As I adapted to the new 'plan' I'd hoped that the baby would come late as Avery did and then its birthday would be almost a month away from Christmas.  Then as my pregnancy neared its end I realized I no longer cared.  Instead I just wanted it to be over.  On January 6th it was...12 days after Christmas and 5 days after New Years.  Our Winter Baby: Hazel Grace.

So now our 'plan' is completely out the window and we wouldn't have it any other way.  God's plan is always best, and as an added bonus it turns out that a Winter Baby is actually the best way to go.  When you have a newborn you really can't do a lot outside anyway and since it is freezing out now that is totally fine with me.  Instead we stay inside, snuggling up together as my maternity leave passes much too quickly.  By the time it is over (not long from the time that I write this) Spring will be just days away, and I cannot wait...and after the two weeks of our Blessed life together that this post is about, the longing for Spring only intensified!

On January 28th the week of A2H 2019.05 began and we woke to a winter wonderland and a school cancellation.  Two days later school was canceled again, but this time it was due to an extreme cold front moving through (aka the Polar Vortex).  With actual temperatures in the negative 20s and wind chill temperatures below -50 even Eric's office was closed for the day.  We hunkered down at home and enjoyed an unexpected mid-week family day.  Thus, this first week started off with lots of time indoors and extra cuddles.  As I said above, the perfect way to spend time with a newborn!

On Monday morning Eric apparently told the boys to let Mommy sleep and to be very good for and nice to her (me) that day.  When Hazel and I woke up a little later that morning, we found the boys playing very nicely and quietly together in the basement.

Excited that I was awake, they insisted on making me breakfast.  They gave me a menu that Asher wrote out (from which I chose Cheerios) and then they set it all up for me...a complete breakfast of cereal, orange juice and an apple with "Mom" carved into it!  :)

Later that morning, the boys excitedly headed outside to play in the fresh snow while Hazel and I enjoyed the warmth within our home.  When they had had enough of the cold, they headed back inside for some hot cocoa and warm movie-time snuggles.

For the movie, I introduced the boys to the Chronicles of Narnia.  Afterwards they spent the remainder of the day sword fighting and pretending to be High King Peter and King Edward.



On Tuesday the boys all went off to work/school/daycare while Hazel and I enjoyed warm snuggles and rest inside...all day.  :)


Video: How Big is Hazel?







FB PostI can’t handle the cuteness 😍 #soinlove


On Wednesday the Polar Vortex hit as I mentioned above.  With cold that brought frost even to the inside of our front door, we did our best that day to stay warm and thank God for a working furnace and warm home.

January 30 FB Post: So thankful for a safe, warm home today. Be careful everyone!

I noticed that morning that our weather station upstairs  was not giving us an outdoor temperature.  Instead it read "OF.L"  We have no idea what that actually means, but figured it was too cold even for it and that it decided to go Offline.

Thankful for a warm house that allows me to uncover and admire these precious little piggies!  <3

Video: Instant Snow
Like everyone else in the Midwest, we decided to try the boiling water-to-instant snow trick.  It worked, but the boys were completely underwhelmed

Staying warm also means enjoying nice warm baths.

I love her little curls when her hair is wet.

Once her hair dries it gets super fluffy and sticks out everywhere!



Eric & Hazel chatting and having a burp-off.  Hazel can hold her own!

On Thursday, the cold continued.  Eric headed back to work, but school was canceled for the third time this week.  Instead of staying home though, the boys both went to daycare for the day to let Hazel and I catch up on rest.



As soon as Asher is done with school every day, Hazel is the very first thing it runs to.




Video: Storytime
Asher reading to Hazel

Finally on Friday Asher was finally back at school for a half day and Avery spent the morning at daycare.  When the school day was over Hazel and I picked them both up and we all spent the afternoon home together with another movie and root beer floats.

(2) Videos: Happy Birthday Gramps!
Since the day was also Gramps' birthday, the kids all took a moment to wish him a Happy Birthday!






Off to pick up brothers.

Video: Hazel "Walking" (via Asher)


Avery enjoying the warm fire at Famous Dave's for dinner Friday evening.

Our meal took so long that we were given a free sundae to share.  That combined with the cookies that the boys already got with their meals made them happy boys!

The next day was Saturday but it wasn't just an ordinary Saturday.  Instead it was Groundhog's Day.  Unlike most years, Punxsutawney Phil could not find his shadow, which is supposed to mean that we will have an early Spring.  After the week we'd had, I think everyone prayed he was right!
FB PostA little bit of color to enjoy as we hope that Punxsutawney Phil is correct. #bringonspring

From that point on we all spend the remainder of the weekend together as a family.  Saturday Eric and the boys worked in the workshop to fix some leaky pipes and Hazel and I hung out upstairs.  On Sunday we went to church followed by lunch and samples at Sam's Club and then Chili's To Go dinner and the Super Bowl in the evening.


FB PostMotherhood often requires more hands than God gave us.


FB Post: She didn’t allow me much sleep last night, but how could I hold a grudge against this cute face? 😍



FB Post: This year’s Super Bowl Viewing vs. last year’s #whatadifferenceayearmakes#royalcarribeancruise2018 #partyoffive2019

During the week of A2H 2019.06 the crazy winter weather continued as we had another winter storm go through that brought ice and rain to our area and more snow to surrounding locations.  Again, I was happy to have a warm, dry home to snuggle up in with my sweet little loves.

On Monday the boys headed out for the day while Hazel and I enjoyed another lazy day at home.  I'm really going to miss these perfect days when I go back to work!
Monday was Crazy Hair Day for Asher.  Avery also had to get in on the crazy fun!



Tuesday was another lazy day for us, but this time with the company of Avery as well.




February 5: FB Post: Possibly the most colorful radar map I’ve ever seen.  #weirdwinterweather

After the colorful winter storm of the day/night before had gone through and the temperatures had warmed up a bit, Hazel and I decided to venture out for a bit on Wednesday.  Thus, in addition to our daily snuggles we also enjoyed running some errands and our first little girls shopping trip to Kohls.  I realized then that the baby girls clearance rack may be a problem for me, but managed to limit my purchases to only two items!


When we ventured out, I saw this creature at the end of our street.  It was about the size of a rabbit with a long skinny tail like a rat or possum.  No idea what it is (sewer rat?!)...any thoughts are welcome! ;)

For anyone that remembers the disagreement that Eric and I had a while back regarding Asher wearing sweatpants to school I found these beauties at Kohl's.  Levi sweatpants that are designed to look like jeans.  I wonder why there were so many of them left on the clearance rack!?! :P



On Thursday my girl and I ventured out again...this time to the chiropractor!  I was so excited to finally get adjusted again after delivering our little peanut.  Everything was sooooo out of whack!


Finally, it was Friday again and our week was drawing to a close.  Avery, Hazel and I spent the  morning together and then Eric brought Asher home at lunch time when he was finished with school. When he arrived he told me that he was going to have a playdate with his friend Zoe that afternoon.  This was news to me.  I tried to explain to him that typically the parents are the ones that schedule the playdates, but he insisted that he and Zoe and planned it out and that she was coming to our house with her Mom, brother and baby foster brother.  He was so insistent on this that Eric and I scurried to pick up the house (which was a bit of a disaster) while I texted her mom (who I'd only recently gotten a cell phone number for and barely knew) to see if they would in fact be able to join us.  It took me a few minutes to get ahold of her but once I did she said that they wouldn't be able to make it that day.  I was not surprised by this, but given the fact that my 6 year old son can have the emotions and mood swings of a teenage girl I feared having to tell him.  Eric kissed me goodby and headed back to work and I delivered the bad news.  It did not go over well, but I was able to redirect both Asher and Avery shortly after and save the rest of the day.


Hazel enjoying a little vitamin D and Winter sunshine.


Asher with some reading friends at school.

FB Post: Pretty much the only way I get any sleep these days #babysnuggles24-7 #sleepymama #cantcomplain #timeisprecious

That night was the annual Sweethearts Dance at Asher's school (also the reason the playdate wasn't going to work out).  When the evening approached, Asher and I got dressed up for the event.  Then, when he got home from work, Eric surprised us with a corsage for me and a boutonniere for Asher.  We helped each other put them on, said goodbye to the rest of the family and then headed out for our mother-son date night while Eric held down the fort with the other two littles.  Side note: Earlier in the day as Asher and I got ready for our evening together Asher saw the boutonniere from last year's dance which I'd dried and pinned to the cork board in his room.  Then he came to me and said that we better get some new flowers because our ones from last year were rotten!  I laughed and told him that we just wouldn't wear flowers this year, but Eric had other plans for us! :)



Eric joking that he couldn't handle staying home and taking care of our baby girl on his own!


For dinner that night I allowed Asher to pick any place that he wanted.  He chose McDonalds and that is exactly where we went.  We enjoyed a very nice time just the two of us.




At the Sweethearts Dance, we enjoyed not only some time on the dance floor, but also some time crafting, snacking and taking photo ops.  It was a great time and nice to have a few moments to focus on just our oldest for a change.

Snacking was Asher's favorite part of the night!  :)

Dancing with some friends.  Asher did enjoy some time playing with his friends, but like the sweet boy he is he always came back to spend a little time with his momma rather than leaving me high & dry.





While Asher and I were at the dance, Eric hung out with Hazel and Avery at home and then headed out to McDonalds as well for their own dinner (since Avery was a bit jealous that Asher got to go there).


After the dance, we again finished out the week with lazy family time at home.  Our favorite thing to do!


(2) Videos: Workouts at Dick's Sporting Goods


Hazel enjoying Daddy brushing her hair on Saturday night.


I love the look she is giving her big brother.  Sometimes I am not sure why as he can be a bit crazy with her, but it is pretty obvious that she loves Asher very much!




Buddies <3


Baby Mohawk.

After church snuggles

Avery has gotten into a selfie crazy with my phone recently.  I find a lot of pictures like this nowadays.



Video: Hazel Beats Up Eric







"Mommy, I look 'dorable'

No comments:

Post a Comment