Tuesday, March 12, 2019

A2H 2019.07: All About Love

FB Post: THIS is love! Happy Valentines Day!💕

This week was all about love and while Eric and I have never really gotten into the frenzy of romantic gift giving and celebrations on Valentine's Day, the kids are another story.  I feel like our anniversary is the day for us to celebrate our romance.  For the kids though, Valentine's Day is the perfect day to generally celebrate the love we have for them.  Throughout the year I love doing special things for them to remind them of our love and in on Valentine's that includes their traditional book/love note from us, giving them a reminder and keepsake of our love to hold on to for years to come.

Side Note: While Eric and I rarely do anything for the holiday, I do hope he surprises Hazel now and then.  I still remember the years my dad brought home some flowers or something special for me on that day and what it meant to me.  I think one of the best things about having a girl now is having the opportunity to model (to the best of my abilities) what a wife and mother should be and for Eric to show her how she can expect to be treated later in life as he models the amazing husband that he is to me!  <3

Anyway...the week started off with two lazy girls' days for Hazel, Emma and I while the boys went their separate ways.  These days alone with Hazel are just as much a gift to me as they are to her if not more.  As I type this there are only a few days left and I am trying not to dwell on the sadness of returning to work and leaving her behind each day.
FB Post: My loves 💕💙💙


A lovely surprise on my phone from this little Valentine.

Video: How Big is Hazel?

Video: Baby Gym Workout & Talking to Her 'Peeps'


Princess here thinks that any clothes (clean or dirty) or pillows we leave on the floor are for her.


A little mother-daughter fun.



On Wednesday, Avery stayed home with us.  Despite the fact that Avery loves his little sister very much, it is pretty obvious that he has had some difficulties making the adjustment from Mommy's baby to the middle child.  While I try to give all of the kids whatever attentions I can these days he has told me several times that he misses me.  Thus, I made it a point on this day to make sure what we had some special time together.  Since I had decorated the cardboard car that Eric had built for Asher's Drive-In Movie Night at Awana, Avery had been begging me for a car of his own.  Thus, we spent the morning and some of the afternoon building a cardboard batman car together and then we baked some valentine cookies together for the family.


This car I found online was my inspiration for our project together.

The car's body.

The 'final' product.  It wasn't really finished, but Avery was happy with it the way it was other than wanting it to be black...and I was able to convince him that we didn't need to paint it.

FB Post: Love is crafting a Batman car, making cookies and spending some much-needed one-on-one time with our now ‘Middle Child’ 💙#AMikeyInTheMiddle


Maraschino Cherry Cookies with Dove Chocolate Hearts.

That night, we brought the boys (& Asher's cardboard car) to Awana and then Eric and I were able to have our own date night (with Hazel in tow).
Asher's car...which Eric built and I decorated.

Hazel & I at Red Robin.

Every good date for us seems to include a trip to Meijer!


On Thursday it was Valentine's Day.  The boys took the Valentine's we'd assembled earlier in the week (which were a HUGE pain to do as Asher needed 60 of them for school and YMCA) to school and daycare and left us girls behind for another quiet day alone.  I spent part of our time at home getting the kids' Valentine's gifts finished up and wrapped.

Video: Story Time with Asher

(2) Videos: Happy Valentine's from Hazel


FB Post: Another Valentine’s Day in the 📚 with my little loves 💙💕💙#valentinestradition #lovenotesformylittleloves

Individual Messages:
Asher (How Machines Work: Zoo Break! by David Macaulay): Happy Valentine's Day Asher!  One of the many things we love about you is your love to build things and your curiosity for the world and how things work!  Keep striving to learn more and never forget how much we love you!  <3 Mom & Dad

Avery (I'm Not Just a Scribble... by Diane Alber): Happy Valentine's Day Avery!  One of the many things we love about you is your creativity and love of coloring and drawing!  You are always looking to make beautiful and exciting things and with your love of purple you also color the world just the way you want them.  Keep being you and seeing the world as it should be and never forget how much we love you!  <3 Mom & Dad

Hazel (My Quiet Book by DOiD): Happy Valentine's Day Hazel!  You are new to the world and therefore everything is new to you!  We love watching you learn and grow and after 5.5 weeks with you already love you more than you'll ever know!  We will always be here for you.  Never forget how much we love you!  <3 Mommy & Daddy




That night, once the boys got home, we all headed out for our annual dinner at Qdoba for their Valentine's BOGO deal.  Afterwards we headed back home and gave the kids their gifts.








On Friday, Avery stayed home with Hazel and I again in the morning.  One of the things Avery wanted to do was read the new book "I'm Not Just a Scribble" the he had gotten as his Valentine's Day gift.  Since the book came with stickers to make your own Scribble guys, he set out to do just that once we'd finished reading.  Not totally grasping the point of the book and being a bit of a perfectionist in his drawing, he found a Scribble guy in the book that he wanted to copy and got to work.  As he did so though he said that he was going to copy the character but that he wanted him to be "neat and smooth"... &  I thought Asher was The Type A personality in the family!
Avery working on his Scribble Guy

The Scribble Character Avery chose to copy.

Avery's "Neat and Smooth" version.  :P

At lunch we headed to Asher's school to pick him up.  I arrived a few minutes later than I would have liked and the pick-up lane (which is much shorter than it should be) ran all the way to the nearby intersection.  Being that it was only the second time I'd picked him up that way (instead of just parking and walking to get him) I wasn't really sure what to do.  I pulled up behind the last car as close as I could get, but part of my van was blocking the crosswalk, so I figured I was going to get in trouble.  I waited for a few minutes for the line to move but was then yelled at by the crosswalk guard and made to move.  Since there was no where else I could go and stay in the line, I got out of the line and drove around the block.  By the time I got back, the line had started to move and I got back in and began to wait.  At this point, Avery tells me he has to go to the bathroom really bad (why is it always at the worst time?).  Again, I was not sure what to do.  He wanted me to let him out of the van so he could pee outside, but I couldn't let him just pee on the school grounds.  Then he insisted I take him somewhere to go, but I couldn't just leave Asher at school while he went potty.  He continued to yell that he had to go and I (very frazzled by this point) continued to tell him to pinch his legs together and hold it.  As we waited longer and he began to get desperate, I rummaged through Hazel's diaper bag, pulled out a diaper and told him to pee in that in the van!  He looked at me like I had completely lost my mind (and he may have been right) and told me that diapers are only for babies.  Again I told him that he would have pinch his legs and try to hold it if he didn't want to take my option.  We inched our way to the front of the line and finally it was our turn for pick-up.  As Asher climbed into the van Avery told him that he needed to go really bad and Asher replied, "I've got the same problem!"  As soon as Asher got buckled up, I drove back home as quick as I could.  Both of the boys got out and went into the house as Hazel and I waited for them in the van.  A few minutes later Avery came out crying that Asher wouldn't let him use the bathroom.  I reminded him that we have two bathrooms and told him to go upstairs.  Finally, both boys came back outside no longer doing the potty dance.  We all piled back into the van and headed over to a friend of Asher's home from school for a playdate...our first official playdate ever!  

If you've been reading my blog for a while, you might be asking how that is possible.  We have had playdates before.  While that is true, all of the playdates we've had in the past were scheduled with friends of mine who happen to have kids around the same ages as our boys.  This playdate was with a classmate of Asher's (who happens to be a girl, one of his best buds who really only plays with boys).  I had only met her mom a couple of times before and barely know her or anything else about their family.  Since she has a little brother Avery's age he was invited over too, and since I am not comfortable sending the kids to a home I haven't been to before Hazel and I also went.  The kids had a great time playing for a few hours that afternoon until it was time for us to leave (at which time Avery cried and told me over and over again how he missed his friends).

That night, the boys were really wanting to play with their Daddy, so Eric surprised them by coming home right at 5 that night and then taking them sledding at Pet's Park. They were thrilled and Hazel and I enjoyed a little extra quiet time together at home.

Video: Sledding with Daddy

When they all got back home, Eric needed a little Hazel time of his own...



When Saturday came, we did what we do best...enjoyed a lovely lazy weekend together!




Hazel modeling a new dress she got from a friend! <3


The boys made a fort and wanted Hazel to come in.  Her first fort! Awww...  :P  I don't know if it was the lighting or what, but she COULD NOT control her eyes while in the fort!  She kept going cross-eyed!




Saturday Night FB Post, After the kids were in bed of course! ;) It’s a good thing Dairy Queen doesn’t deliver! Just sayin’...

The lazy family time continued into Sunday.  We even decided to take the kids to see the Lego sequel on Sunday afternoon...Hazel's first movie (She had a snack and then slept for the rest of the movie).  :)



Baby’s 1st Movie 🎥 🍿 #celebrating6weeksold #legomovie2

Our pretty girl! <3


Peeking at me. ;)

TV Snuggles before bed Sunday night.


No comments:

Post a Comment