Dear Asher,
About a week after you were born, I thought that it would be
cool to type a letter to you to tell you all about your birth from my
perspective. I put it on my to do list
and started looking for some free time to type it up. It is now the end of March and you are nine
months old, and I just managed to find some free time. Originally I was planning to tell you about
the day you were born, but now that you are nine months old I thought it would
be fun to tell you all about being your dad for the past nine months.
Mom and I had been praying for you for a very long time and
finally, on October 26th 2011, Mom told me that she was pregnant. We were both SO excited and could not wait to
get our ultrasound to get our first glimpse of you. On December 2nd, we got to see you for the
first time and hear your amazing little heartbeat. I was so happy that I got tears in my
eyes.
The next 7 months flew by.
We prayed every night that God would keep you healthy and safe. I got to feel your kicks for the first time while
Mom and I were watching "Return of the King". After that you would give me a good night kick
every night before bed and a good morning kick when we got up in the
morning. Those two times were my
favorite parts of the day. You kept getting
bigger and stronger and Mom's belly kept growing. Before long, you were doing acrobatics in
there and you made Mom's belly look really funny sometimes.
When we went in for our 39 week appointment on Wednesday,
June 27th expecting the doctor to tell us that nothing was really happening and
that we should come back in a week. To
our surprise, the doctor said that we should schedule to have you in three
days. Mom and I both started to freak
out. We thought that we were going to
have a little more time before we met you.
We were both ready to be parents, but I think that for some reason we
thought that you were going to come late because we are always late for
things. That night we went out for what
would be our last date night as just the two of us. The next three days were filled with planning
and making our final preparations for your arrival.
On Saturday morning, we got up bright and early and headed
to the hospital. We checked in and mom
got hooked up to a bunch of machines and started getting ready for your arrival. My favorite part of the morning was the
heartbeat monitor that they put on mom to listen to your heartbeat. I loved being able to hear your heartbeat for
the entire day. Things started out good
but as the day progressed, labor was really hard for Mom. Around 8:30 at night the doctor said that it
was time for you to come out. Mom
started working really hard and even started to fall asleep because she was so
tired. Finally, at 9:31 pm you came
out. I remember that when you finally
came out the doctor was really excited to tell us if you were a boy or a
girl. She cleared your umbilical cord
and excitedly said, “It’s a boy!”.
You also cried really loud when you first came out. I was so relieved because that is one of the signs
that you had started breathing and that your heart was beating on it’s own. They cut your umbilical cord and gave you to
mom. She looked at you and you looked
right back at her and I could tell that you knew who she was and that she loved
you. We both cried because we were so
happy.
At first you were really slimy and had a really funky shaped
head. The nurses took you over to the
scale and started to clean you up. I
followed you from the moment you came out and captured each and every one of
the first moments of your life. I took
lots of pictures and I remember when you first looked at me. I also remember telling mom that you looked a
lot like Grandpa Migrin. You were very calm and quiet while the nurses cleaned
you up and then you started to cry a little.
All the while you were looking around taking in the world. Everything was new and you looked so
interested to see it all.
The next two days in the hospital were tough. You didn't sleep very good at night and
needed to eat often. At first you were
having a really hard time eating and we were worried that you were losing
weight. It took a couple of days but
eventually you got the hang of it.
On Monday we took you home.
You got to meet Emma for the first time.
She was very interested in you and was really happy to have us all home
again. She used to check your car seat
every time we came home to make sure you were in there. I think you two will be really good buddies
when you are a little older. Grandma and
Grandpa Migrin were staying at our house and were so excited to spend time with
you. They helped us take care of you for
a few days until we got the hang of it.
Since those first few days, you have grown up really
fast. I am amazed at all the things that
you have learned how to do in such a short amount of time. Here are a few of my favorite moments that I
have had with you.
Your first laugh: At
the send of September, I made you laugh for the first time. We were playing peek-a-boo on the couch and
you started to giggle. It was the best
noise I have ever heard. I have always
been good at making babies laugh and to finally be able to make my baby laugh
was a really great feeling.
Your first belly laugh:
One night when I was getting you ready for bed, I started blowing on
your belly. It made you laugh really
hard. That was the first time I made you
really laugh hard. It was such a great moment.
Playing with Emma:
Right after you learned how to sit up, Emma brought one of her toys over
by you. You grabbed on to one end and
she grabbed the other. The two of you
played tug until she pulled you over on your face.
Laughing at your farts:
One time we were playing and you were in a really silly mood. I was making fart noises with my mouth and
you thought it was pretty funny. Then
you tooted and laughed at it. I was so
proud.
Family time: My
favorite moment as a family was a few weeks ago. Mom was laying on the floor and you were
crawling around here. I got down on the
floor and started to blow fart noises on Moms belly. You crawled over to her and looked at what I
was doing and then to our surprise you blew on Mom's belly too. We didn't even know that you knew how to make
those noises which made it even funnier.
I was so proud that I had taught you a very important skill. Mom and I were laughing so hard that we
started crying. It was an awesome family
moment that I will cherish forever.
Crawling: Your first
method of getting around was scooting on your belly. You were able to get around pretty well like
that. Shortly after that you learned to
get your legs under you and crawl. Now
you crawl so fast that it is hard to keep up with you sometimes. It has been so cool to watch you crawl around
our house and explore your world.
Currently you get into everything and mom and I have had to baby proof
everything.
Chasing: Now that you
have mastered crawling we play chasing games together. I start crawling after you and tell you that
I'm going to get you. You crawl away in
the opposite direction and get really excited when I catch you. My favorite part of chasing is when you get
confused and crawl towards me. You
usually head butt me when you reach me.
Standing up: You just
recently started to get the hang of pulling yourself up on things. The first time you did it I was so proud and
bragged to everyone. It is really funny
when you stand up in front of your toy box and throw toys over your shoulder
onto the floor. Sometimes you try to
reach stuff in the bottom of the box and you get stuck on the edge.
Falling asleep: My
favorite times I get to spend with you are when you fall asleep in my
arms. Mom gets to do this with you every
night, but because I am always playing with you it is rare that I get the
experience. It is such a wonderful feel
when you fall asleep on my chest or in my arms.
Those are just a few of the things that you have done so far
that I really enjoy. I am sure we will
make tons more memories together as you get older. You truly are a blessing from God and I will
cherish every moment that I get to spend with you.
Love,
Dad
No comments:
Post a Comment