Friday, November 20, 2020

A2H 2020.43 - Up Nort

This week was a short one due to parent-teacher conferences at the boys' school.  On Thursday around lunch time, Eric and I had virtual conferences with each of the boys' teachers (which went really well) and then we headed over to the school to pick them up.  Unbeknownst to the boys we had taken off work for a long weekend, packed and were now headed 'Up Nort' to Grandma and Papa's for the weekend...

But First: Side Story #1

This is one of my favorite works of art that Avery has created.  It may not look like much, but it has a story behind it and I think of it as his Picasso-esqe Portrait. 

The Story: On the weekend before this, I was trying to get some work done on my computer and Avery was insistent that I needed to play with him.  Despite repeated attempts to ask him to go and play on his own or with his siblings for a while, he refused to leave the office.  Finally (and I'm not exactly proud of this), I got him out of the office and then locked the door.  He then proceeded to knock on the door and ask me what he should draw.  I threw out a superhero and a few other ideas, but he kept telling me those were 'too hard'.  Therefore, I went to the extremely easy end of the spectrum and began calling out simple shapes.  After I had called out several different shapes, he again asked me what he should draw.  I told him that now that he had all of the shapes on the paper, he needed to convert them into people.  I was totally winging this and hadn't thought of the idea before the words left my mouth, but I had assumed that he would just add faces and arms and legs to each of the shapes.  I believe I had even given him this idea.  Instead, he somehow brought all of the shapes together into one person.  When he was finished, he showed me the drawing of who he deemed "Shape*Man".  I told him I loved it (I really do) and said that I especially like how he made the guy different by giving him only one eye.  He looked at me like I was one of the dumbest people ever and then explained to me that no, he has both eyes, but "see his arms are up like he is flying (like Superman) and you only see the side of his face"..."see mommy, when you look at someone from the side you can only see one eye, right?"  Yes buddy, you are right.  This kid is ALWAYS full of surprises! <3

Side Story #2: It might be 2020 if...You have to leave school at drop-off and head back home because someone forgot a mask


Back to 'Up Nort'...
We left Kenosha at around 2:30 in the afternoon on Thursday and it took us a ridiculous amount of time get through the first part (what should have been hour) of our drive.  Between our house and the North side of Milwaukee we stopped three times and then it started to rain.  It wasn't exactly a fun drive, but eventually we made it and our weekend truly began.
This is what you do when you're on a road trip, in a pandemic, and you have boys! ;)

Our final stop was at a Kwik Trip for some gas and another bathroom break.  When we had stopped it was sprinkling out, but by the time the boys and I got back out of the gas station it was POURING.  We got wet and ran back to the van.  In the meantime, Eric and Hazel filled up the van and waited for us.  She was getting impatient from being in her carseat, so we let her 'drive' the van until we were ready to leave again.



Video: Driving Ms. Hazel

On Friday morning I woke up early and headed upstairs.  Asher heard me and asked me to come snuggle with him, which sounded like a great idea to me.  We cuddled up together and then were joined shortly after by Avery from the room next door...not a bad way to start our morning and made even better (for the boys) when they spotted a rare animal in Grandma and Papa's backyard!  Well, not really...they saw some deer in the back and although these are by NO MEANS rare, seeing wildlife in the yard that are not birds, bunnies, squirrels or chipmunks is not exactly common for our city boys.  :P
Asher took this picture of the deer with my phone so that he could show Papa the deer we saw! ;)

Hazel having out with Papa.

After some time relaxing for the morning the boys headed outside to play while Grandma, Hazel and I went for a walk to visit the 'neighbors'...








When we returned from our walk, we headed into the woods to see what the boys were up to.  Turns out that they spent their time building an epic fort behind Grandma and Papa's house!





After playing outside, we needed to warm up.  I showed the kids the best place to do that in the house...right in front of the register in the Kitchen! <3




TV Nerd.

In the afternoon, Mom, Hazel and I headed over to Aunt Carol's in the gator to say a quick hello and share some food that Mom had prepared.  Avery saw the Rice Pudding she had made and thought it looked disgusting, but decided he would give it a try...He loved it!


The rest of our day was very low key, hanging out at the house and enjoying each other...and some fajitas for dinner! Yum!


Video: Lime Testing

On Saturday it was supposed to be rainy, but the day turned out to be quite nice.  We had another wonderful fall day playing in the leaves, working on the fort, playing outside, sitting at the campfire and watching Michigan football.





(5) Videos: Leaf Fun






(2) Videos: Leaf Fun, Zombie Style























Mom and Dad got this 'new' bike, so I took Hazel for a ride around the driveway.




Video: Tricycle Ride with Hazel







Nice, Avery. 🙈


FB PostFinally...It’s game day!!! Go Blue!! 💙💛




On Sunday we had to head back home, but before we did so we enjoyed a little more time with Grandma and Papa, time playing outside and even got the kids dressed up in their Halloween costumes to go 'trick-or-treating' at Auntie Carol's house.









Saying HI to Auntie Judy via FaceTime.
















After we returned from Aunt Carol's house, it was officially time to head back home.  We said our goodbyes to Grandma and Papa and then got on the road for an uneventful journey home.


Once home, there was one more surprise to finish out the weekend: a package for Avery!  It was the red blanket that Eric's mom had crocheted for him, per his request for a snuggly blanket like the one that Grammy made for his cousin Olive.  He was thrilled and while EVERYONE in the family wanted to snuggle up with it (including our littlest blankie hoarder), it was just for him and he couldn't have been happier about it...Hazel was another story!  ;)



No comments:

Post a Comment