I've shared before that although it was his first word at about 7 months old, Asher rarely says Ma Ma. He says Da Da all the time though. If it wasn't for watching my nephews go through a similar phase, this probably would have bothered me some, but it seems to be a phase that kids go through...and I'm happy that Asher has such a great relationship already with his daddy. Recently, he has been saying Ma Ma a bit more often and the other day I was reminded of the story "The Boy Who Cried Wolf." It reminded me of Asher, who seems to have already learned from this story (despite the fact that he's never heard it) and makes sure to save the word Ma Ma for important/necessary moments so that I will pay strict attention.
For example, as I shared previously a few months ago I introduced Asher to Cheetos. When I got the bag out the day after to snack, he saw and came running over. As cutely and sweetly as he could muster, he looked up at me with his big blue eyes and sad, "Ma Ma?" How does someone say no to that? Then, a couple of weeks ago after a rough night with Asher, he woke me at 5:30am by standing in his crib next to me (we were at the cottage) and saying very clearly, "Ma Ma?" It seemed as though he knew he needed to make it as cute as possible since he really didn't seem so cute the night before and he didn't want me to be able to resist him (I couldn't). Then sometime last week, Eric and Asher were having a wrestling/tickle fight. Asher was giggling like crazy and having a good time being tortured by his father. Eventually though, he had enough and cried out "Ma Ma!" as in, "Ma Ma, Daddy is torturing me, please make him stop!" I quickly rescued my boy. Then, just this past weekend, Asher desperately wanted to climb the basement stairs while he was down there with Eric and I was off doing other things. When he became frustrated that Eric wouldn't let me do what he wanted, he again cried "Ma Ma" hoping that I would shove his daddy aside and give him what he wants. Long story short, I choose to believe that Asher doesn't say Ma Ma all the time because he wants to make sure that he has my total attention when he does. He saves it for the moments he *thinks* he truly needs me. The moments that I, his mommy, can spoil him, snuggle him, rescue him or grant his wishes. Lucky for me, he hasn't *yet* figured out that as his mommy I pretty much do that all the time already! ;)
In other news...this week was a bit crazy weather wise. We had hot, humid days, cool rainy days and brisk sunny days with a couple of
water spouts mixed in. Because of that, we enjoyed some Summer-type fun outside, some dry fun inside and some Fall-type fun outside...
After going for a walk on Sunday night while our Chicken Enchiladas baked, Asher walked right into the kitchen and sat in front of the stove to get a good view of our dinner cooking...who needs a TV?
On Monday it was quite hot and humid. When Asher & I got home from work/daycare, he wanted to play with his water table. I put a little bit of water in the table and let him splash around, getting his clothes only slightly wet. Once Eric got home, filled the water table to the brim, and introduced Asher to the hose, there was no turning back. He was soaked...thrilled and happy...but soaked!
Video: Asher & the Hose
On Wednesday it was rainy for a good part of our day off together. I tried to think of something fun for us to do together and came up with an idea. I thought it would be fun to get a giant pile of rice for him to play in (like a mini sand box). We headed over to the dollar store to get some rice, but they had none so my plan was foiled! When I got home, I saw the popcorn and thought that could be something fun, easy and cheap to play with...and like rice, if Asher decides to eat it, it isn't a problem.
When Asher awoke from his afternoon nap, we headed downstairs and popped up a giant bowl of popcorn. Then we went into the basement where I dumped the popcorn out on a large blanket for Asher to play with. I hoped that he would have fun throwing it around, crunching it up, pushing it, etc. However, my mini garbage disposal was mostly just interested in eating it...go figure. I kept trying to show him different ways that he could play with it (having no fun myself! ;) ) by throwing it around, putting it in his dump truck and then dumping it out and more. He just watched and ate, baby fist-full by baby fist-full. Eventually (I assume when his tummy finally began to fill up), he realized that Mommy isn't totally crazy and playing in it actually is fun. When the fun (or so I thought) was all over, I grabbed the hand vacuum to clean up. Asher was very interested in it and wanted to play with it. I turned it off and let him have it. He proceeded to climb on top and push it around the basement (basically riding it) while making car noises. Silly Boy!
+Toddler+Tales+-Asher.jpg)
+Toddler+Tales+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher going for his first of many hand-fulls. |
+Toddler+Tales+-Asher.jpg) |
| Playing & eating at the same time |
Video: Playing with Popcorn
+Toddler+Tales+-Asher.jpg) |
| Playing with the hand vacuum. |
Video: Riding the Hand Vacuum
In closing, I have to share this video. It was taken on Saturday afternoon. Asher accidentally bounced his head off the couch and then realized that it was kind of fun...makes me laugh every time:
No comments:
Post a Comment