Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Toddler Tales Week 12: Growing Up Before Our Eyes

This week began with another big milestone in Asher's life: His first haircut.  As a baby, I didn't have a lot of hair, but Eric got his first haircut at only four months old!  Asher is somewhere between us.  He could have gotten a haircut months ago, but we held out until now.  I loved his adorable little baby curls and the thought of chopping them off made me sad, but it had to happen some time and Asher was always pushing his hair off his ears, so it was obviously annoying him.  Once Eric and I committed to the idea of getting his hair cut, we had to figure out who we would have cut it.  I wanted to make sure that he didn't just get a buzz cut and I also wanted to make sure that whoever cut it had experience cutting children's hair, since I had no idea how he would handle the process.  I asked our friend Heidi (who is a hairdresser) if she had any suggestions and she offered to come to our place and cut it herself.  So, the time, place and person were set and now we just had to see how Asher would handle it all...

A back shot of his hair the morning of (before) his first cut.

The before shot.  Asher with his little cape.
Well, to answer the question...Asher did GREAT!  Heidi came over after he awoke from his afternoon nap, so he was in good spirits.  He sat in his highchair very calmly, while she trimmed him up.  There was no crying or fussing.  He was such a big (well-behaved) boy!  Eric and I stood off to the side and watched (with no tears!) as our little boy was changed from our baby to our Big (little) Boy!



Asher's New Do!  What a good lookin' guy!
Video: Asher's 1st Haircut


On Wednesday, we enjoyed another day off at home together by scoring on some garage sale clothing for Asher, getting some grocery shopping done, taking a good nap and enjoying the beautiful weather (before we're stuck in side for the winter).

While Asher took his nap, I worked on some personal things in the office, entertained all-the-while by his noises and sleeping positions on the monitor...


Video: When Asher Should be Sleeping...








When I wasn't looking for a second, I looked up to see Asher pushing his truck onto the neighbors' lawn.  He desperately wanted to go off-roading in their yard and it took MUCH convincing to get him to turn around into our yard.
After convincing Asher that he should play in our yard, he decides to spy on the other neighbor's yard to see what is going on over there...

Asher helping Daddy pull our (unintended) baby carrots from the garden.

Lately one of Asher's favorite toys is his baby cell phone.  He loves to press the buttons so that it makes noises and lights up.  Unfortunately, he has apparently been doing that too much lately because the speakers no longer work.  On Thursday night, Eric decided he would try to fix it.  He went into the office to get a screwdriver set and came out with that and a headlamp.  Then he proceeded to sit down and try to teach Asher how to fix the phone, explaining everything he was doing as he picked the right screwdriver head and took the phone apart.  As I looked on from the couch, I could see that Asher was not listening to a word he was saying.  Instead, he was just staring (open mouth and all) at Eric's headlamp...no doubt thinking, "Daddy, there is a LAMP on your head!!!"  I told Eric (who was pretty much oblivious to this at the moment) that Asher wasn't listening and was in awe of his lamp.  Eric started to give it to him, but instead I headed into the office to get my own lamp for Asher so that he could be just like Daddy.  He thought it was the coolest thing ever!  ...Enjoy the pictures, although with the dim lighting, they did not turn out well at all...




Videos:


When the weekend came, we enjoyed the last day of summer by spending a day at home playing, resting and straightening up the house.  When the late afternoon/evening came, we loaded up the stroller and headed over to our friends' home to enjoy a Fall get-together that they were hosting.  We had a great time fellowshipping with some friends from church, enjoying some yummy warm chili, warming up by a bonfire and watching Asher play with all of our friends' kids' toys (they have 4 kids and LOTS of toys...Asher had a blast!).  When it was time to head home and get Asher to bed, I found him bouncing his head off a large dirty bouncy ball with a filthy face...as Eric said, "you know when a boy had fun by how dirty he is!"  :)



Asher's first Sit-N-Spin experience.
An action shot (in dim lighting) of Asher bouncing he face of the ball

No comments:

Post a Comment