Friday, August 29, 2014

M: The Third Trimester Part 1

August 29, 2014:  It is almost Labor Day, and I am not just talking about this coming Monday!  As of today, I am 37 weeks along, which the means the baby is full-term and can come any day!  The time for guessing if 'M' is a boy or girl is almost done, and soon we will know the answer.  Take a second to give us your vote (at the right), and soon the world will know!

Will Asher have a baby sister or a baby brother?
July 22, 2014:
So it is now week 31, and I've gotten a bit behind in my journaling of M's life before meeting the rest of the world.  I'll do my best to update the past few weeks.  Here goes...

Week 28 (June 27-July 3): This week we had another doctor's appointment and I did my 1 hour glucose test.  Everything went well at the doctor's appointment.  My belly was measuring at exactly 28 weeks and baby is doing well also.  Surprisingly the heart rate was only 135, but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that I had done my glucose test a bit before my appointment (with the test, the baby was going CRAZY after I drank the nasty flat-orange-pop-tasting-elixer, so I have to assume it was pretty tuckered out and sleeping later at my appointment).  I talked to the doctor about some pain that I have been having under my right ribs and in my back.  She thought it might be acid reflux and to try Zantac (I did...it didn't help).  She also told me that unfortunately I failed my 1 hour test.  Apparently the cut off level is 140 and I came in at 153.  Thus, the 3 hour glucose test was in my future.  Finally, the dr. also asked that I schedule another ultrasound.  I was afraid that she wanted me to do that because she had concerns, but she assured me that it was routine (these days, not when I had Asher) and that she just wanted to make sure everything was still going well.

28 Weeks
Week 29 (July 4-July 10): Eric, Asher and I enjoyed a family vacation this week spending time at the cottage in Michigan and also traveling around Kentucky.  It was a fun (although somewhat stressful) week, but meant that I never got around to a Week 29 photo.  I wasn't sure how the traveling would go with being so pregnant, but other than trying to schedule much needed potty breaks around when Asher was awake in the care it went pretty well.  My back still continued to hurt though and sleeping at night started to become a thing of the past.  I also was told this week by a stranger that I was no-doubt having a boy.  It was on my birthday, and although it shouldn't have bothered me, it did.  I think it bothered me, because I am starting to agree with her.  My feelings of having a girl are much less confident these days and although I will surely love and adore another little boy, I have always had a dream of having one of each.  Only God knows though, and thankfully He knows best! :)

Week 30 (July 11-July 17): The level of discomfort continued to rise this week.  My back is killing me and feels as though I have a constant knife stabbing me.  The only relief I can get is laying down with ice or heat at night and praying that something will distract me from the constant irritation.  On Wednesday of this week, I had a busy day off filled with appointments.  First, we had our 30 week ultrasound.  The baby's heart rate was back up at 155 and it was fun to watch it wiggle around.  Asher got to join us this time to see the baby, but really didn't have much interest in what was going on.







After the ultrasound, we left the hospital and headed across the street to Asher's pediatrician for his 2 year check-up.  Then it was back in the direction of home to get Asher to daycare so that I could take a quick nap and head back to the hospital for my next appointment.  Before doing so though, I did make a detour at Target to return some items and also start a baby registry.  Although I know I won't be getting many (if any) gifts this time around and there will be no baby showers, I figured I might as well make a registry to keep track of what we need to get and take advantage of the freebies they give you in addition to the 10% off completion coupon they send and the $20 target gift card (which I had gotten a coupon for in the mail).  At my appointment, I was not able to see a doctor as mine was out of town and the one I was going to see had an emergency surgery.  Instead I saw a nurse.  Again, everything is going well.  The baby's heart rate had slowed to 140, and my belly is still measuring right-on despite the fact that we learned at the ultrasound earlier that day that the baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead of schedule!!  ...so...we may have a tall or chubby baby, or maybe an early arrival... who knows?

30 Weeks

Week 31 (July 18-July 24): Finally, Week 31.  The week started out tired, and seems to be continuing that way.  I have been experiencing horrible restless legs during the evenings, making it almost impossible to fall asleep at night.  When the exhaustion finally does kick in, I am able to get a little bit of rest here and there between needing to get up to use the bathroom, repositioning to find a "comfortable" place to lay and trying to ignore my back pain which continues.  The other night, I totally broke down out of shear exhaustion and frustration.  I do not remember being nearly this uncomfortable with Asher and don't know if I am just a bigger wimp these days or if this pregnancy is harder on my body.  Either way, I am becoming convinced that this will be our last child and pray that it is a girl so that we can happily stop with one of each.  If it is another boy, I may just be happy to be done, or consider adopting a little girl.  I have no desire to be pregnant ever again, and have asked Eric to remind me of this two years from now when I think that we should have another baby! ;) 

This week I also endured my 3 hour glucose test (on Saturday morning).  I haven't heard the results yet, but am hoping that like Asher I passed and do not have gestational diabetes.  At this point, I am assuming that no news is good news.

Week 32 (July 25-July 31): This week, my discomfort continued, but has gotten slightly better.  I am still experiencing restless legs, but have found that laying on a heat pad when I go to sleep helps some (often enough to be able to fall asleep).  Unfortunately, I am still getting up several times a night and have resolved to sleeping on the couch.  With my parent's anniversary party behind us, Eric and I have enjoyed a week with little to do, and we have pushed aside everything else.  It has been nice to have a few nights to just relax with my husband, rather than working on one thing or another from the time I get up to the time I go to bed.  I also got my results back from my glucose test this week and found out that I passed, so that was good news.

32 Weeks
This is the result of me (a very preggo woman) grocery shopping alone...a delicious (albeit unhealthy) snack at work!

Week 33 (August 1-August 7): Right now, I am about half way through week 33.  Everything is about the same discomfort-wise, but I am trying to manage it to the best of my abilities and distract myself as much as possible.

On Wednesday this week, I had another appointment and met one of the male doctors in the group, Dr. Ambro.  He was nice, although very quiet.  After waking up on Monday night in excruciating (I could barely move) pain, I asked him (like I've asked a couple of nurses and both female doctors) about the pain that I am experiencing below my ribs and in my back.  Although I do think it is some sort of muscle strain or tear, and he agrees, he ordered me to get another ultrasound to check for gallstones.  I don't think that they will find anything, but since we've met our deductible already for the year, it can't hurt to get it checked out.

33 Weeks
Week 34 (August 8-August 14): On Wednesday this week, I got another ultrasound to check my gallbladder.  As I write this (one week later) I still haven't heard anything about it from the doctor, so I assume that everything was normal.  Eric and I also celebrated our 12th anniversary this week with a getaway night in Chicago to serve as both an anniversary celebration and a babymoon.  Although I was sore and exhausted by the end of the weekend from all of our walks around the downtown area, it was still an amazing time that I am thankful we could spend together before 'M's arrival.

34 Weeks
Week 35 (August 15-August 21): This week I realized that the my due date is one month away!  Although I cannot believe how quickly the last 8 months have passed, I also can't believe that I still have a month to go (it seems like forever away still).

These days, I am sleeping slightly better and was excited that I spent an entire night in our bed a couple of days ago (for the first time in weeks).  I am still suffering from restless legs, but have found some remedies which seem to help: While the ivory bar of soap under my sheet did nothing for me, I have found that a heat pad on my lower back helps, as does lavender baby lotion (an idea I got in the middle of the night after noticing that several restless leg oils had lavender in them-and we happened to already have the lotion at home), and also baths before bed with some magnesium bath salts that I received from my sister-in-law who got them from her sister.  As I said, none of these remedies fix the problem, but I have slept quite a bit better lately because of them.  

In the growth department, baby and I continue to put on weight.  Several people keep saying things like "any day now" and "wow, you are ready to pop" and are surprised when I tell them I still have a month to go.  I probably can't blame everything on the baby though, as I have been craving ice cream (specifically Target's Strawberry Cheesecake, which my freezer is currently lacking) and chocolate milk lately, along with other sweet snacks at work.  I am trying (but not my best) to keep it as healthy as possible, but often the fruit snacks overrule the fruit.

Also, at this point, every girl at church that was due before me has had her baby (with the most recent this afternoon) even though two of those girls were not due until September like me.  It is exciting to know that I am next and although I still have a ton of work to accomplish before 'M' comes, I would be thrilled to go into labor soon (well at least once I am "full term" in just over a week).  At the same time, it is a little scary, I will admit.  With Asher, I didn't know what I was in for, this time is different.  I still don't know what it would be like to naturally go into labor (since we induced with Asher), but I do know the pain that is ahead of me and I also know that with Asher the epidural did not work at all even though I got to have it twice (after the first time held much drama and the doctor hit a nerve injecting it).  I question if I want to even bother with the epidural this time.  If only I knew for sure that it wouldn't work again, I'd rather do without.  However, the chance that it might work this time is still tempting.

35 Weeks
August 29, 2014:  
Week 36 (August 22-August 28): This week started off with a doctor's appointment that gave us a bit of a scare.  It wasn't anything major, but we found out that 'M' was currently breach and not head down as she (a "she week") should be.  Immediately, my doctor started talking about C-sections and inducing, two things I am REALLY hoping to avoid!  Eric and I (along with several friends and family) spent the week praying that the baby would turn, along with shining a flashlight on my belly for her to follow and Eric talking to her low on my belly.  On Wednesday, I had another appointment and found that God answered our prayers.  The baby is now in the correct position, although not fully locked in place.  Now we are just praying that she stays there until delivery!

With my pregnancy being more than 90% complete, we are both getting a little anxious.  Most things are ready at this point, but there are still some necessities that we have yet to pick up (diapers, etc) and things around the house that need to be done (cleaning the nursery, getting the crib ready for a newborn and getting out/cleaning the other baby-related items from storage (car seat, clothes, travel bassinet, etc).  There is much to do, and little time to do it.  Work has been busy and we are both trying to get things in order (as much as possible) before 'M' arrives.  Lately, my allergies have also been kicking my butt, which means that all I want to do when I get home from work is close my eyes and rest.

Despite the anxiousness, the excitement is also kicking in.  I am ready to meet this little guy or girl...ready to snuggle him up in my arms...Ready to introduce her to her big brother...Ready to find out if 'M' is actually a baby boy or girl (although at this point, I have gone from strongly believing that M is a girl to thinking it has to be a boy)!  I have been so busy with Asher during this pregnancy that I really haven't had the time to bond with the baby yet, like I did with him, but lately the little kicks and the first hiccups that I've noticed the other day have made me smile (as long as it isn't kicks in the ribs!).  I also went out to Kohl's the other day and bought a few items for 'M' and I couldn't help but smile as I held the itty bitty clothes in my hands.  I don't know what it will be like to be a family of four, I am afraid of how exhausted I will likely be caring for a newborn while caring for a toddler, but I also can't wait for it all to begin.  I trust that God will give us the strength to do what needs to be done as He did the first time around, and that He will grow our love for our family exponentially with this addition!
36 Weeks
36 Weeks Comparison (With Asher)

No comments:

Post a Comment