Saturday, August 30, 2014

Toddler Tales Week 60: And Now, We Wait

With the baby just weeks away, and most things in order and ready for his/her arrival, Eric and are trying to just enjoy as much down-time as possible and the rest of our time with Asher as a family of three.

As I've said in a few previous posts, Asher is growing up quickly these days.  As I write this, he is now (today) 26 months old and changes every day.  His vocabulary is constantly growing and although he babbles some times (I think just for fun), we can understand most of what he says.  He is speaking in simple sentence and is becoming a very polite and lovable young man, saying please, thank you, bless you, excuse me, etc even more frequently than Eric and I do and giving us hugs and kisses all the time.  One day this week he even saw a picture of a friend's baby on my phone and asked, "Is that Hudson (his baby cousin)?" as he bent down to give my phone a kiss.  

While he is a very good boy most of the time, and one that I am happy to call mine, he also has a sassy side (which he must get from his father!) : )  He enjoys yelling at Emma with "Emma No!" and "Emmaaaaaa!" and "Emma git down".  He also likes to answer "No" or a simple "Nope" to pretty much every question we ask him and throw little fits when he does not get his way...in true toddler fashion.  This week he even said what I would count as his first lie.  I caught him walking through the hallway, looking like something was in his mouth.  I asked, "Asher, do you have a button in your mouth?"  Knowing full well that he is not allowed to put his buttons in his mouth, or I will take them away, he immediately spit a button into his hand and replied, "No."  It is a bit shocking to think he can already lie at two years old, but Eric said that since he technically didn't have the button in his mouth when he responded, he didn't lie...I'm not sure that counts.  

Not only is Asher now our little liar, he is also a thief.  This week as I was getting something out of the fridge to get ready for dinner, Asher ran inside as he typically does asking for things to eat. I told him no and that we were going to eat dinner in a few minutes.  I then proceeded to shut the door (gently squeezing him, to force him out), and as he moved to escape the closing door he quickly grabbed two grapes out of the fridge and made a break for it!

Besides being sweet and sassy, Asher is also quite funny.  He loves his daddy dearly and is becoming a mini-Eric.  It is pretty cute to observe, because Eric thoroughly enjoys playing with him these days as well.  They make a good team and a cute pair.  They love to wrestle and be silly together, and Asher loves to say or do goofy things that will make us laugh.  One night, while getting ready for bed, he did just that.  He had just gotten a bath and the reindeer towel that his Auntie Erika had made for him was in a pile on the floor.  You couldn't really see any of the towel's face, other than a part of the brown antler sticking out on the floor.  Asher bent down and pointed at it asking, "Is this poop?", which made us bust out laughing, surprised by the comment.  Then, before we responded to the question, he proceeded to pick it up and put it in his mouth, and all I could think was that I hope he was pretty sure it wasn't poop before he decided to eat it!

This week, he continued to do great in his new bedroom and big boy bed.  It is funny, because he stays in bed until we come to get him in the morning.  It wasn't until this past Sunday that he actually got out of bed on his own (because he was very upset that it was nap time), but once he realized that he couldn't open the door and we weren't coming to get him, he went back into his bed and took a three hour nap.


So all that to say, that we are truly enjoying the little boy that Asher is becoming and trying to relish every moment we have with him before our focus/attention is split for him AND 'M'.  Here's how we enjoyed him this week...

Eric played with him and his best buddy Theo at church...

Video: Ring Around the Rosie

We introduced him to another new IBC baby (our friends' daughter Catie) and let him play with his friend William and his toys for a bit...
Picture courtesy of Jen Wohlers (Catie & Williams Mom)
Asher & I went to the park on my day off so that he could play more with his buddy Theo, and we topped it off by an all-you-can-eat Pizza Hut lunch together!



We enjoyed his silly dancing'.
Video: Asher dancing to Cotton Eye Joe

We enjoyed a family trip to Dairy Queen and Asher enjoyed his first cone!





We enjoyed played outside.  Asher loves to "cower" in the driveway and is now a big fan of being traced or tracing us.


We enjoyed a walk around the marina to check out the Harbor Market, the boats and the duckies.



As you can see, it was a pretty good week of family time.  Unfortunately one of the members of our family wasn't as happy as the other three.  On Thursday night I walked into the house to find this...

It seems that Emma was either was highly perturbed by something or someone in our back yard during the day, or she just decided to terrorize our Kitchen and Dining room to get some attention from us.  She had shredded some paper, threw the pillows off our bench, almost knocked a picture of the wall, puked on the floor, peed on the floor and pulled a bunch of dirt out of a potted plant!  Since she has never done anything like this before, we have given her the benefit of the doubt that something must have gotten her really riled up during the day, but if it happens again any time soon she will be spending time in her crate when we're not home!

No comments:

Post a Comment