

On Saturday, July 26th, we celebrated Mom & Dad's 40th wedding anniversary by throwing them a party a day before the actual event. At the beginning of the year, right around the time that I found out I was pregnant, my brother and I began discussing our desire to do something special and to throw them this party. We debated on what to do and how "big" to do it and as the idea grew bigger and bigger, I started to freak out, realizing that I already had a lot of my plate and I would be 7-1/2 months pregnant when the actual party came. Thankfully though, my Aunt Carol, Aunt Judy (my mom's sisters) and my mom's best friend Linda all got on board to help us out. Without them, I am pretty sure we could not have done it, or at least we could not have made it as perfect as it turned out. With them though, it was a perfect day and a perfect way to show our parents that they are loved and that we are so thankful that they have stuck by each other for 40 years showing us what a true marriage is all about. Marriage is never perfect and I think they would both agree that theirs is not (as I would attest to that fact in my own marriage). However, despite the trials that they faced through their life together, they have come out on top and have built a wonderful family of 2 kids, 2 kids-in-law and soon-to-be 5 grandchildren! Happy 40th Mom & Dad!!!
So, with that off my chest, here is how the day went...
Asher awoke much earlier than we would have liked, but Eric (being the wonderful husband to me that he is) got up with him and took him outside to survey the grounds while I got to rest a bit longer.
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Asher.jpg) |
| Checking out the cows across the road. |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher playing on the play equipment in the back yard. |
Once, I was up, we had had some breakfast, and I had gotten what I needed together for the party, we headed out to my Aunt Carol & Uncle Joe's camp (where the party was at) to decorate. Not knowing that I was ready to go, Eric had promised Asher that he'd take him for a gator ride. Since I was ready to go, we decided that they could drive to my Aunt & Uncle's house across the field (which was on the way to camp) and I would pick them up there. Asher loved it and talked about the gator constantly for the rest of the weekend!
When I got out to camp, my Aunt, brother and cousins were already there working on the decorations. They had had the tent set up the day before, we just had to decorate the tables and add some finishing touches. This is what we ended up with:
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Keepsake+Tree.jpg) |
| A Keepsake Tree of Mom & Dad's Guests: Please 'Leaf' Your Thumbprint & Your Name |
When we were finished decorating, we headed back to the house to get some lunch and let Asher get a nap. Then at 3pm, it was time to party! Originally, the plan had been that the party would be a surprise, but due to events outside of our control, I had to ruin the surprise back in June and tell my parents what we were planning. In the end, I think it made it much easier for everyone (although keeping the secret for 6 months prior to that was already painful enough) and it was nice to be able to meet my parents out there and not have to come up with some reason that they should go out to camp.
When we got out to camp, everything was set to go, the food had been set out (another BIG thank you to Aunt Carol, Aunt Judy, Cindy, Linda and everyone else that made food for the party...couldn't have done it without you!) and the guests had already begun to arrive.
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Cake.jpg) |
| The cake. |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Cake+&+Keepsake+Tree.jpg)
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Food.jpg) |
| The spread. |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Dessert.jpg) |
| & no Klingenmaier party would be complete without a whole slue of desserts! Yum! |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Dessert.jpg) |
| Notice the pineapple-upside down cupcakes (a special request I made for my mom). They were delicious! |
Once the guests of honor arrived, we grabbed the family for a quick family photo before all of the kids got all dirty. Then, they all changed into their swimming suits to enjoy the party (kid style) while we all enjoyed the company of our guests.
After everyone had eaten, my Aunt Judy made Mom and Dad walk down the "aisle" again, and then they cut their 40th anniversary cake. They were both very nice about the cake serving, neither got a piece in the face! ;)
Video: Cutting the Cake
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Dad+&+Mom.jpg) |
| Dad giving a little speech...which for him to talk in front of so many people is a pretty big deal! |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-George,+Asher,+Eric,+Tim,+Rebekah+&+Laura.jpg) |
| George, Eric, Asher & the Strietzels watching the boys play with the hose |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Caleb+&+Micah.jpg) |
| Micah & Caleb "peeing" They thought they were hilarious, and from the picture above, they apparently were pretty funny. |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher discovered the punch and kept wanting "More, More". When Eric and I wouldn't get him more, he found someone who would. Eric and I observed from a distance as a cousin of mine gave him a full glass! |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Eric+&+Asher.jpg) |
| Our tired and cold little guy |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Pat,+Sandy,+Mike,+Ed,+Robert,+Una,+Hudson+&+Mom.jpg) |
| More Piche Family |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Hudson+&+Mom.jpg) |
| Mom & Hudson |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Diane,+Carroll+&+Dad.jpg) |
| Dad & the Wollards |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Linda+&+Guests.jpg) |
| Ladies Chat |
Before the party was over, my cousin Larry insisted that we get a picture of all of the Piches that had made it to the party. It was only a small part of the family, but still a pretty good size crowd!
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Robert,+Ed,+Carol,+Jerry,+Judy+&+Mom.jpg) |
| The living Piche Siblings (Oldest to Youngest): Uncle Robert, Uncle Eddie, Aunt Carol, Uncle Jerry, Aunt Judy & Mom |
+40th+Anniversary+Party+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher enjoying some cake...there was no shortage of goodies that day! |
Finally, evening had come, most of the guest had gone home, and it was finally dark enough to see the lights in the the cute little lanterns I had purchased at the dollar store. Eric took Asher back to Mom & Dad's to put him to bed, and I stuck around to clean up. Even after I left though, the party wasn't over. A few of my aunts, uncles and cousins stuck around with my parents and a few of their friends to enjoy the night and a bonfire. I, on the other hand, got a ride home with my Aunt Bonnie and went to bed. It was a long, tiring and great day.
In closing, I will just leave you with a few pictures of the then & now:
+40th+Anniversary+-Mom+&+Dad.jpg) |
| July 27, 2014: Mom & Dad's 40th Wedding Anniversary |
+Klingenmaier+Wedding.jpg) |
| July 27, 1974: Mom & Dad's Wedding |
No comments:
Post a Comment