Monday, April 10, 2017

A Team Week 131: March Madness

In my last post, I wrote about the inevitable final snowstorm of the season, but March isn't Mad just for the Lion & Lamb analogy.  Beyond the bipolar weather system, March also tends to be a crazy time as we wrap up the hibernation mentality and prepare for fresh air and sunshine.  Work gets busy as people want to spend their summers on building projects, life gets even more chaotic as Eric and I realize how quickly time will pass before Asher heads off to Kindergarten (somewhere?), family time gets scheduled into the calendar to have one fun weekend together before the busyness of summer hits and the lasting germs of winter hit us one last time to try and hinder it all.  Despite that we are unstoppable, and like the Energizer bunny which just keeps going and going or Dory who just keeps swimming, we press on.


So, this week that is what we did.

Even though home life comes with its own kind of crazy (for example the week prior I heard "mommy, where is my purse?" and then just moments later I hear "it's wrestle night!!!  I have lots of bandaids for when we bleed!"), Monday started off "normal".  That evening though, Asher was hit with a nasty bug raising his temperature to 103 and making it difficult for him to breath.  Thus, I rescheduled a site meeting I had on Tuesday to stay home with my little guy.  Despite some chills and  his lack of energy and appetite, we had a pretty good day home together.  He wanted to pretend to work at "his desk", so he did that while I got some things done at my own desk.  It was actually quite comical and I wish I would have taken some videos.  He was typing on his (broken) laptop and pretending to make phone calls.  Then at one point he types furiously while talking to someone and then hits a key hard on the keyboard and says, "Send!".  I literally laughed out loud and have no idea where he got that from.  I didn't even know he knew what an email was but I have no idea where he learned to say "send".  It's not like Eric and I go around sending emails and then verbalizing that they are off in web space.
Asher at "his desk"

In the afternoon, Asher's fever went back up after a morning of it treating him fairly well.  He woke from his nap very hot and sweaty so the two of us enjoyed a lazy afternoon on the couch together, where I introduced him to Herbie Fully Loaded.


The next day, Asher's fever was still stubbornly sticking around.  So, while I headed off to my rescheduled site meeting and work for the day, Eric and Asher had their own day home together.
My clients home...a work in progress.

Eric and Asher ventured to Qdoba for lunch.  Eric said Asher was really excited to eat and said he was hungry but when the food came he barely ate anything.  Thankfully though it kept well and that evening he was feeling much better and devoured it all!


On Thursday, things went back to "normal" for the daytime of the rest of the work week.  Both boys went to daycare and Eric and I both went to work.  Thursday night March Madness continued though with Michigan High School Basketball.  You see, I have been following the record-breaking run by the North Central Jets (the school I grew up next to).  They currently hold the nation's longest running winning streak.  Although I did not attend this school, I did play against them in track, cross-country, basketball and volleyball.  I grew up going to parades in the town, visiting friends that lived there and enjoying my childhood favorite pizza and ice cream shop there.  Like them, I am a Yooper and that means we are all family.  So, on Thursday night North Central played in the Semi-Final game against a team that was considered by many to be the biggest roadblock between them and their third consecutive state title.  When I arrived at home after picking the boys up from daycare, the game was in the third quarter and I was able to listen to the remainder of the game.  They were down by about 10 points and it seemed that they might not make it through, but they pressed on and ended up winning the most exciting game I've ever seen or watched with a last-second shot in double overtime!  It was an incredible game!

On Friday, we finished off our work week with another day in our "normal" routine, but after work, the crazy continued as we headed North to Sheboygan for a weekend of fun with the rest of the Klingenmaier family.  For that though, you will have to wait for another post.  In the meantime, I will leave you with the rest of March Madness being that Saturday morning the Jets finished out their season with another perfect run and I continued to follow my first ever NCAA March Madness Bracket!  

From my Saturday Facebook post: "For the past season and especially the past couple of weeks I have been following my childhood neighbor the North Central Jets high school boys basketball team record-breaking streak ending with their 3rd state championship. Not able to cheer them on in person, I've tried to follow as much as I can online in videos, FB posts, news articles & live streaming. The other night Eric was surprised that I even cared because being our neighbors they were also a rival growing up. It dawned on me that growing up in a city meant he just didn't understand. He is not a Yooper and never experienced rural life. Even tonight as I read the highlights from the championship game, Eric asked what I was doing and when I told him he responded, "Yoopers are weird." Yep, we are. Weird & Awesome all in one!!! I am very proud to be a #Yooper, love that I grow up #whereeveryoneknowseveryone and will always cheer on #UPPower!!! Congrats again #NorthCentralJets on your #3Peat!!"

Although I am not overly athletic, I grew up in Carney-Nadeau, Michigan, which means I grew up watching and playing basketball.  It was a small school with no football team so basketball was it.  The school and community ate, breathed and slept basketball.  Since then, I haven't followed as much other than keeping up with local teams like I mentioned above and watching the NCAA men's tournament whenever Michigan is in the game.  This year, I decided to make my first bracket and I have to say I was basically shocked that I didn't do terribly bad.  When this week started I was in the in the 99th percentile of the NCAA March Madness Bracket Challenge online and by the end of the work week I had only slipped one percentage point.  Considering I know little about college teams and had never filled out a bracket before, I was pleased.  :)  The fact that I was doing so well as a little March Madness in and of itself!  :P




No comments:

Post a Comment