Monday, May 1, 2017

A Team Week 134: Holy Week


Like the week before, this week was pretty great and it started off with the boys (exhausted from a weekend outdoors) sleeping in on Monday morning allowing Eric and I to actually sleep till the alarm went off and get ready with few interruptions.


Since this was also the week of Easter, I didn't take my normal Wednesday off and the work-week passed quickly as we started our weekend one day earlier (on Good Friday).
Asher giving Avery "a ride"


Video: Avery Dancing or Doing Parkour?

On Friday the boys had no daycare and like usual Eric and I took the day off and headed up North to spend the week with my parents.  The drive up went smoothly with Emma deciding that she should be one of the kids up on the seat (or even on Asher's lap!).  Since the boys seem to associate travel with eating and always start to whine that they are hungry early on the in the trip, I packed lunches for them to eat on the way.  Then, when we made it to Marinette, we stopped at McDonalds for some ice cream and some energy-release in the play place.
Apparently the floor is not good enough for our princess.

Our three kiddos.  Tough life Emma.




We arrived at my parents' in the mid afternoon with the sun shining brightly and lots of time to enjoy both inside and outside before it was time for dinner and bed...

Asher and Avery found an electronic drum and enjoyed showing off their moves until we made the (loud & obnoxious) toy go away.


They also made a gigantic fort in the basement with Eric's help and took a long ride through the nearby area on the gator with Papa, Grandma and Mommy.




For dinner on Friday night my mom made Eric's favorite: Fajitas.  Unfortunately she also asked me to shred the cheese and my family's klutzy curse kicked in as I shredded my thumb's knuckle and blood gushed out until we could get it wrapped up.

When it was time for bed I quickly realized that I had forgotten to pack some pull-ups for Asher.  Thus, Eric and my Dad took a trip to the Powers Family Dollar to pick some up while my mom, the boys and I stayed home giving them a little more time to play.  They chose to spend that time reading to some of my old toys.



(2) Videos: Bedtime Reading


On Saturday, we enjoyed more time outside with another decent Spring day.  In the morning we headed over to the Nadeau park for the annual Easter Egg Hunt provided by the local Lion's Club.

















After the egg hunt, we all headed back to my parents' for lunch and naps while it rained.  After nap time though the rain stopped and we were able to have more fun outdoors.

Emma, Eric and Avery sneaking some candy from the Egg Hunt haul.


For previous Easters, the topic of the Easter Bunny really didn't come up, but this year was different.  As the days leading up to Easter passed I kept hearing more and more about the bunny, so I wanted to do something special to remind them what Easter is all about.  When a friend of mine posted this idea on Facebook, I decided to do something similar.  So we started by heading down by the road to pick up some rocks.









When we had our rocks we headed back to the house to think of some of our sins, write them on our rocks and place them in our Easter Baskets.  Then we placed them on the bench, where we read the first part of the Easter Story before going to bed that evening.


When our "sins" were set up on the bench, we headed into the kitchen for a different (and more secular) Easter activity...dying Easter eggs!


Avery didn't like that Mom was using her food processor.











When all of the eggs were colored, we headed outside for more fun.  First we played in the yard and on the swings and then Eric, Asher, Avery, Dad and I enjoyed a walk through the woods to the field beyond.

Avery swinging with Papa.


Three of my favorite guys.

Growing up, this giant Maple tree behind my house was my favorite.  I used to love to climb this tree and just sit and enjoy the quiet outdoors.



Video: Echo!!...Yelling in the Middle of No Where, Michigan

Video: The Hills Are Alive...
...cause if you're in the middle of a big field you just have to.


After our walk, it was time for dinner.  Mom made my favorite (Rigatoni) for me and then we gathered together in the living room to watch the movie Hop together.  When the movie was finished we read our bedtime stories and then headed to bed (well the boys did, while I acted out my inner Easter bunny).

Our baskets containing our sins along with the Easter story we read.


Before bed, we covered the baskets up with a red blanket to represent Jesus' blood and the fact that he died on the cross and shed his blood for our sake.

When the boys woke up in the morning they found this.  Reminding them that Jesus' death cancels our debt of sin if we simply just receive the gift of life and believe in his death and resurrection.  Thus, the sins of our lives are taken away and God offers us blessings instead!  

The next morning was Easter Sunday.  The boys were really excited (especially Asher since Avery really wasn't sure what was going on).  We finished the remainder of the Easter story and I explained to them what Jesus's death means to us.  Then, as an attempt to tie in the secular fun of Easter morning, I gave them the verse Matthew 7:7, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you." and told them to go out and seek the blessings that God has given them...and off they went...

















Like always, I went a little (or a lot) overboard with the boys' baskets.  I don't like giving them candy or toys so instead they got more fun, but functional items along with a few items of candy.  Both boys got a book, a superhero t-shirt and a raincoat (Asher got Batman while Avery got Paw Patrol).  Then Asher also got some water color paints, tape and a new (needed) bike helmet, while Avery got sidewalk chalk and some new (needed) rainboots.






Asher had picked out this helmet a couple of months ago, and Eric and I were both shocked that he would pick something so crazy.  At the time I never thought we would buy it for him.  The more I thought about it though, I thought about how Asher is so much like me and needs things to be routine and predictable.  As Yoda might say the Type A in this one is strong!  Then I thought, if he wants something wild and crazy then I want him to embrace that and be himself, so I bought it...and now he makes me smile every time he wears it.

Sporting their new raincoats.

Avery checking out Daddy's basket.

When all of the eggs and baskets were found, Grandma surprised the boys with some giant bunny pancakes! =:)



After breakfast we headed to church where we enjoyed the Easter cantata and then back home to pack up and head to cousin Michael's for lunch before driving back home.

Easter family picture.

Grandma & Papa with the boys.

The boys went on a gator ride to Michael's with Grandma and Papa.
At Michael's we had a good time eating a delicious Easter meal, checking out the farm animals and catching up with family.  Then, it was time to wrap up our wonderful Easter weekend and head home.  The boys fell asleep quickly and slept for a good chunk of the ride home...an Easter blessing for Eric & I (thank you Jesus!).
Avery & Papa checking out the cows...

...& the tractors.

Sassy boy sticking his tongue out!

On the way home, Avery woke up before Asher and did a surprisingly good job of being quiet and entertaining himself for about an hour while Asher slept.

No comments:

Post a Comment