Prior to this week we survived Asher's first week of kindergarten and then enjoyed a relaxing weekend together as a family. When Monday came and this week began though, we started everything all over again. By the end of the previous week Asher had started to get the hang of things a little but unfortunately, the weekend broke that cycle and when the week started we had to start all over again. Asher woke on Monday morning insisting that he did not want to go to breakfast before school and not wanting to push it, we didn't make him. When Tuesday came and he still didn't want to go we had put our foot down and force him to go emphasizing that everyone in the family has a part to play to make things work and this was his. That night, we began a new tactic: Straight up Bribery. I started a reward calendar on the fridge for being brave and told him that when the entire sheet of stickers is gone he can get an umbrella (something he's been asking for lately).

On Tuesday night, we went to the Welcome Back Picnic at Asher's school where we had hot dogs, chips, water and popsicles for dinner and then watched as the kids played on the playground for a little bit. I had hoped it would be a night that we could meet some other parents and kids, but everyone mostly kept to themselves or the people they already knew. Asher did end up making one friend though with a boy in his class as they played hide-and-go-seek on the playground.
The rest of the work week went pretty well. Asher continued going to school and by the end of the week we were making some real progress (finally). On Friday, Avery and I stayed home in the morning together. We worked on some potty training (which is going VERY slowly) and then had some fun making some play doh foods together.
 |
| Reading time for Asher's class |
 |
| On Friday the entire school got to have a popsicle for snack time! |
 |
| Fun with my little man...and Play Doh |





After a fun morning together on Friday Avery and I picked up Asher and then headed back home where we went through our usual lunchtime routine. Then, later in the afternoon, we headed over to the "car park" for some afternoon fun before Daddy got home from work. It was a bit of a challenge. One of the benefits that Eric and I quickly noticed from Asher going to school is that after 3+ years of him making bedtime a constant struggle, the daily stresses, excitements and busyness of school made him go to bed SO.MUCH.EASIER. He no longer was putting up a huge fight at bedtime and would fall asleep within minutes of us leaving his room at night. While this new phenomenon was amazing for Eric and I another phenomena that I noticed on this particular Friday is that by the end of the week he is completely exhausted and a total crank! At the park, he threw fits for no good reason and was upset about pretty much everything giving me attitude about everything. It wasn't exactly a fun outing for anyone. Thankfully though the next morning everyone was in a much better mood and we enjoyed some lazy time and some fun together down by the lake.
 |
| Not exactly what you want to find right next to a children's playground. I emailed this photo to the City of Kenosha parks department. |
 |
| Spooky donut selection at Meijer on Saturday morning. |
 |
| The boys & I walking to Harbor Market on Saturday morning. |
Video: Avery's Water Bottle Dance
 |
| The boys looking at the bees and learning how honey is made. |
 |
| Watching the fish jump and the boats going in and out. |
 |
| Checking out the "Pirate Ship" |
 |
| Upon closer inspection Asher decided that with no pirate flag and civilians aboard the ship, it was not a "real" pirate ship. |
After our fun at the lake and a late food-truck lunch, we headed back home for some rest. None of us were feeling great and we were all exhausted so we had a Whole Family Nap Time. Asher insisted that he didn't need a nap and spent much of the time that we were sleeping playing, but when Eric and I had both woken up, we found Avery still asleep and Asher passed out on his bed in his Batman costume!
 |
| Even Batman needs naps! |
The boys continued to sleep for a while and finally at around 6pm Eric and I decided that we better wake them up. Since they had both slept late, we decided to let them stay up a little later as well and have a movie night. I wanted to introduce the boys to a movie that I loved as a "child" (I was a bit older than them) and had been waiting for them to get old enough to watch: 3 Ninjas. I thought maybe it was time since they are really into ninjas lately, but a few minutes into the show Eric and I deemed it still too 'old' for them and switched our movie to Anastasia instead. They were a bit disappointed to turn off the ninja movie as they were loving it, but understood and still enjoyed our movie night.
 |
| Sleepy snuggles with Avery |
On Sunday we finished out another week with church and simple time at home. Avery and I enjoyed some time together playing in the basement. He wanted to play "soccer" and insisted on having the hoop up on the door even though I didn't think he'd be able to make it. He played for over an hour though and I couldn't help but smile at his determination. What he lacks in his athletic gene pool he will make up for in determination!
Video: Avery's Determination
While Avery and I rested that afternoon and then played in the basement, Eric and Asher were up to their own "mischief." First they made BBQ ribs together for dinner that night and then they headed out to do some shopping...
 |
| Father & Son...Bronco and Foal? |
 |
| After realizing that Asher was excited by the Halloween decorations he decided to take Asher to Party City to check out the decorations and costumes that they had. |
 |
| Obviously they both had a lot of fun and Eric was surprised that none of the creepy stuff seemed to scare Asher. That night they told me about all they had looked at and then Eric (who has been wishing for 15 years that I'd let him decorate our home for halloween) said that, "we're going to have a really hard time keeping this kid from wanting to decorate our home." I looked back at him and reminded that it would probably be easier if we didn't take him to look at the halloween decorations in the first place! |
When everyone was back together at home that afternoon, we enjoyed the remainder of the day by allowing the boys to get wet and wash my van for me, devouring the delicious ribs that Eric and Asher made together and then eating up a strawberry pizza that Asher and Eric also made together for dessert. It was great way to end our second week in this new phase of elementary school.
 |
| My personal chefs |
 |
| Avery wanted in on the picture too! ;) |
No comments:
Post a Comment