Saturday, April 6, 2019

A2H 2019.10: Trauma

This was a fairly traumatic week.

First of all, after saying goodbye to my parents on Monday I made Hazel try on a dress...Just Kidding!  ...well about the trauma of it, not the dress.  My mom and I had been talking about what Hazel would wear for her dedication and I had a dress in mind that was a hand-me-down from a friend, but it looked small and I needed to try it on her...so later that day, I did.  It was WAY too small, which was too bad because it was an adorable dress but good because it meant I'd get to go shopping! :)

While we were trying things on, I also put this little lilac dress on her.  It is another hand-me-down from a friend and I think will be perfect for Easter (it will even match what the boys will *hopefully* wear).  For some reason, my dad is not a fan of this dress and thinks it makes her look too much like a doll, but I think she is totally cute in it!



The next day, Avery was home with us and the dress-up continued as he insisted on picking out Hazel's outfit for the day.
FB Post: Today’s baby ensemble brought to you entirely by big brother Avery, entitled “Princess Batman” (with a splash of Go Blue)



Despite the trauma of her big brother getting to pick out her clothes, these two really are buddies...



FB Post: Avery & his mini me


Later that day Avery and I baked cookies together while Hazel took a nap.  I'd found a recipe for Chocolate Salted Caramel Pretzel Cookies and NEEDED to try them.  Together we worked on them and they turned out super tasty.  I think in the future I can do without the pretzels though as they really didn't seem to add much to the cookies in flavor and I'm not sure I enjoyed the added crunch.  I'm also planning to use a different caramel next time in hopes of ending up with something gooeier!  :)

On Wednesday our little nugget turned 2 months old which meant that she had a scheduled wellness visit at the pediatrician's office and her first round of vaccinations.  Knowing that it would likely be a rough day with her I took her 2 month photos before we left while she was happy.  Then we headed off to the doctor's office.  There, she was first weighed, measured and looked over.  Then it was time for one oral vaccination (which she wasn't thrilled about but slowly took in) and three shots.  Right from the get-go she was completely unimpressed by them.  She yanked her leg away with the pinch of the needle and started screaming, continuing to do so until well after the nurse was finished and the bandaids were in place.  She was a very unhappy little girl, but eventually calmed down and then fell asleep on our drive back home.

At home, she slept for a couple of hours while I got some things done and enjoyed the quiet.  Once she woke up though it was a very different story.  She was a rightly sad little girl.  We spent the rest of the day snuggling together and rocking in the nursery to keep her as calm as possible as she told me all about the woes of her day. :(
That belly! :P

Staying warm in the chilly doctor's office.



Video: Baby Girl

FB Post: “Celebrated” 2 months today with her first round of shots...followed by lots of snuggles and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel #vaccinessavelives

Not very happy about her shots. :(


Sleeping away the traumatic event.



LOTS of snuggles required today.

Soooooo unhappy. :(


Video: Unhappy Baby
Warning: Don't watch this if you can't handle a crying baby (Grammy, I'm talking to you!), but this is what most of our afternoon looked like.  Pretty sad.  I was somewhat amused by the fact that when she gets really upset she makes a sound like she is saying "mama" over and over again. <3


At Awana on Wednesday night, Asher took part in the Pringle Car Races.  The weekend before my dad had helped him put some Lego wheels on a Pringles can.  Then, Asher was supposed to add to the car to complete it.  I thought he would add some things to make it heavier and more aerodynamic so that it would travel far, but instead all he wanted to do was add some bacon duct tape that Eric had to the outside to decorate it.  I figured he had no chance of winning, but rather than intervene (as is my inclination) I wanted him to learn from the experience (teaching him that a lack of effort means a lack of reward and that he won't win at everything).  Unfortunately (or fortunately?) that didn't happen.  He ended up somehow taking second place in the event and came home completely thrilled and carrying a small trophy.

Video: Asher's Pringles Can Car Run

Video: Asher Win's 2nd Place!

The next day (Thursday) was better but still much of the same.  Hazel was not as fussy but still not her happy little self.  We continued with lots of naps, snuggles and Netflix.


Video: Happier Baby

While Hazel napped, I decided to take my mom's new cutting machine (which she is afraid to use) for a test drive to work on some decorations for Hazel's dedication reception.

On Friday, after little sleep during the nights of the week, knowing that my days home alone with Hazel were very limited and that I had an appointment scheduled in the afternoon, I put Avery in daycare for the day.  To add to the trauma of the week, I had also gotten a nasty cold.  All week I was stuffed up and felt like I'd been hit in the face.  Since I was exhausted and not feeling well, my wonderful husband somehow managed to get himself and the boys all ready and out the door that morning without waking Hazel and I so we could sleep in.  When I finally woke up, I realized that not only had he allowed us to sleep in, but he had also noticed that I'd run out of kleenexes during the night and replaced the box at my bedside.  It truly is the little things that makes a marriage work!  I am a very lucky girl to have such an amazing husband and father to my kids.
FB Post: THIS is Love: My hubby already takes a husband of the year award every time he fills my gas tank for me, but last night after taking the baby who didn’t want to sleep yet so I (exhausted from a 2 month old who doesn’t like to sleep for stretches at night and feeling like a truck hit me in the face as I get over a cold) could get to sleep and THEN letting us girls both sleep in while he got the boys ready and out the door without waking us this morning (a feat of its own!) noticed that I ran out of kleenexes during the night and replaced it with a fresh box at my bedside! Eric Migrin, you truly are the best!! ðŸ’•. I am a very lucky girl!😘
Video: Morning Greeting from Our Guys






Video: Itsy Bitsy Spider

To continue an easy day for Hazel and I, Eric picked up Asher from school and brought him to daycare as well...with a stop for gas station hot dogs along the way for some guy-time. ;)

That afternoon, right before it was time for us to leave for my appointment, Hazel (of course) pooped.  I took her upstairs to change her.  As we headed back down the stairs to leave, I slipped and fell half way down with Hazel in one arm and thankfully the handrail held by the opposite hand.  Somehow I managed to keep my grip on her and land on my butt so that I wouldn't fall on top of her.  Meanwhile I watched helplessly in slow motion as her poor little head got whiplash from the fall and she began to scream.  When I got to the bottom I was in complete shock.  Hazel hadn't hit anything on the way down but she was so upset that I worried I'd hurt her neck.  I immediately called Eric who came home from work to check on us and then called the pediatrician who told me what to watch out for and when/if to take her into the ER.  Eventually she calmed down but since there was no way we'd make it to my appointment, I'd called in and canceled it and then we both took much-needed naps.  The next day my thigh was incredibly tender.  I couldn't figure out what it was from and teased Eric that he must have kicked me during the night.  Then he reminded me of my tumble and although I didn't think I'd hit that part of my leg, I agreed that it was probably from that fall.  I'm hoping that this was a first and last experience.  I've fallen down our terribly steep stairs in the past which is scary enough in and of itself, but doing it with my child in my arms is terrifying.  If I had hurt her I never could have forgiven myself.  :(



When the weekend came, we just hung out and tried to rest and recover from the week as much as possible...

Hazel learned to 'walk'...

Video: Hazel 'Walking' To Me

Hazel made a new friend (thanks to Asher)...


We got lots of rest and snuggles...


Avery (who also got my cold) even took a nap!



We took a family trip to Meijer...

Who thought these were a good idea?  Gross.

We got in a little playtime...


Video: Chatting with Minnie


Finally, to round out the trauma of the week, we survived another daylight savings time change and tried to gear up for a tiring week ahead.

Video: Asher Looking at the Time

No comments:

Post a Comment