This week (September 9-15) our little man began his school career with the KUSD 4K program at Growing Green Child Development Center. For months, he has been waiting his turn to head off to school like his big brother. Asher never attended preschool because we didn't want to send him to a different daycare than Avery and couldn't find a way to make the in-school half-day program work. However, after seeing how much Asher struggled in Kindergarten and still struggles at times Eric and I vowed to do better for Avery. (Sorry Asher, we failed you in this.) Additionally with Avery turning 5 shortly after the school year began he was more than ready to be done with hanging out with toddlers and babies at our in-home care and to test the waters of socialization with his peers.
When the big day finally came, he was SOOOO excited. He gobbled up his breakfast, got himself completely ready and was all set to go with plenty of time to spare. He said his goodbyes to everyone as Eric and Hazel left to bring Asher to school and then posed eagerly for his very first First Day of School photo shoot. Then it was time to leave and everything changed. :(
![]() |
| FB Post: Another one in school!! Little man started 4K today and was super excited. Drop off was a little tough but after hearing all about his great day and his new friends I know it’s gonna be a great year! 💙 #myfuturehulk💚 |
The realization of starting something new hit him hard as we headed out to the van and he was suddenly very scared and not wanting to go. It took some work, but I got him into the van and then to school where Eric and Hazel met me to see him off for his first day. I'd hoped that he would cheerfully give us hugs and kisses and run off to begin 4K but that didn't happen. Instead he surprised Eric and I both by clinging to us and crying that he didn't want us to leave. Knowing it would be easier for Eric to get away than me, I left first and headed to work. Then shortly after Eric and Hazel left him for his first day while we all worried the rest of the day on how it would go.
As the day went on we got to see some pictures of him participating. His teachers said that he had a tough start to the day, but by the time I picked him up that night he was smiling and ready to go back the next day. I'd say that overall the day was a success!
![]() |
| Baby girl happily playing in her crib that night! :) |
In addition to Avery having a successful first day, Asher's start to school was also a success. For the first time since he started we got through the first couple of weeks of school with minimal tears which is a MAJOR improvement. We also got to see some pictures of him learning, problem solving and bonding with his classmates...
Hazel was the only one that didn't go off to school this fall, but that doesn't mean that she wasn't learning. At 8 months old she is learning new things daily and this week was showing off her skills as she improved her skills of pulling herself up to standing.
As the week continued and we adjusted to our new schedule (which has worked out MUCH better than I anticipated despite having 3 kids at 3 different locations) we endured the heavy rains of summer's end and kicked off the school year with an evening picnic at Asher's school.
![]() |
| Avery posing in front of a massive puddle at the parking lot of his school. I drove through it and splashed everywhere to give him a smile as he watched me leave through the window that day! :) |
![]() |
| The boys and I at Asher's school picnic. |
When Friday came this week, I decided to take advantage of the warm, sunny day and spend some special time with the kids. Per their request we headed to the playground down by the marina, but quickly realized that we would not be playing there as the rains of the week had completely flooded the area! I've never seen the lake as high as it is right now!
![]() |
| Usually there are multiple steps exposed to get down to the water here! |
![]() |
| FB Post: Daddy’s Girl 💕 |
![]() |
| The perfect timing of this picture makes me laugh as I notice the spotless placement of Emma's ears behind Hazel's head! :) |
Video: What Do You Think You're Doing?
When we got home that afternoon, the "fun" continued. First, Hazel and I took a nap (yay!) and then I showed the boys a Pinterest bubble trick I'd found where you put the end of a sock over a plastic water bottle cut in half (spout end) and then dip it in a water/dish soap mixture to make bubble clouds. They loved it and had a blast, but it quickly progressed from the simple fun I'd introduced to trying to make colored bubbles by adding food coloring. At first, I didn't see the harm in it, but as Avery blew a stream of green bubbles out that were swept in my and Hazel's direction, I quickly realized my mistake. The bubbles popped all over us, dying a good chunk of my leg and Hazel's toe dark green!
Video: Bubble Fun
![]() |
| FB Post: When a moment of spontaneous bubble fun ends with the baby being accidentally dyed green #opps #foodcoloringfail |
That evening, we had had such a great day and a great end to the first week of TWO boys in school that I surprised the boys with a make-your-own-sundae-bar. They.Were.Thrilled!! (I was too!)
On Saturday, we enjoyed another beautiful day down by the lake (this time including Daddy) as we walked through Harbor Market, toured the Lake Michigan edge in Kenosha and filled up on a yummy lunch at Choo Choo Charlie's!
![]() |
| FB Post: |
UPDATE: Maybe it is the architect, but I can’t stop wondering about this stair...
-Why does the stair go up only to go right back down?
-If the stair is to go over the wall, I would get it, but then why is there an opening in the wall that you could walk through right next to th stair?
-Why would a stair even be needed to go over a wall that you could easily climb over?
-Why is the wall even there if you are provided two points of access to the beyond?
-Why does the stair have the same start elevation on both sides but 4 risers on one side and 5 on the other?
![]() |
| I cannot get over how CUTE she is!! Seriously, how did Eric and I get SOOOOO lucky! |
Video: Shake It Up Baby
![]() |
| Even when she is mad and red-faced crying because I set her down in her crib while I got ready, she is STILL adorable in this dress!! |
![]() |
| Only a few days after he started school and said he wanted to be "The Hulk" when he grows up, his dreams came true. Thanks Sam's Club. |
![]() |
| Occupying the baby while I fold laundry. |
![]() |
| <3 |


































































No comments:
Post a Comment