Today we spent the day on Mackinac Island. [For those of you that only know the word "Mackinac" from the flavor Mackinac Island Fudge ice cream, please note that it is pronounced "Mackinaw"] We drove up to Mackinac City during the late morning and then took a ferry to the island. The weather was again overcast and a bit windy, so Lake Huron had some serious waves. We were told that if we wanted to remain dry we needed to go to the lower level of the ferry (which we did).
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher enjoying some Cheerios on the ferry |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Asher checking out the waves. |
Eric had really wanted to bike around the island (which is an 8 mile road). I wasn't sure how that would work out with finding places to park the bikes and trailer on the island and making Asher ride in his trailer, but I was willing to give it a shot. When the ferry docked, we found our bikes and away we went. Asher did pretty well at first, and he had quite the set-up. We set him up with snacks, some cushy clothes to lean on, and his sippy cup...what a good deal. He was quite content for the first half of the trip, but then his hunger was too much for his little snacks and he needed something more.
+Michigan+Vacation+-Mackinac+Island+Arch+Rock.jpg) |
| Arch Rock from below. |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Eric+&+Asher+with+Mackinac+Island+Arch+Rock.jpg) |
| Eric & Asher in front of Arch Rock |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Taking a break for Asher's lunch. |
After Asher had finished eating and gotten over the trauma of skinning part of his nose on the concrete, we got back on the road. At this point, he was pretty much ready to be done and out of his trailer, but we were only half way around the island. So we continued to ride, ignoring the pleas of our 1 year old and stopping along the way to enjoy the scenery.
+Michigan+Vacation+-Mackinac+Island.jpg) |
| *Note this picture for a later story... |
When we got back to town, we found a place to park our bikes and then found a restaurant for lunch. We went to a place called the Village Inn, which was run by the Grand Hotel. It was a bit pricey, but the food was pretty good. Oddly though, my favorite part was the napkins! They were really thick and did an amazing job cleaning up after our messy little guy...I need to figure out where I can get more of them...I seriously considered "borrowing" a few for the rest of our vacation (but didn't)! :)
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| We got a table outside by the street and enjoyed the peace and quiet with the absence of automobiles. |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher.jpg) |
| Asher enjoying a Nutri-Grain bar. I thought it would be an easy mess-free snack for him. Easy yes...Mess-free NO! |
After lunch, we walked down the main strip and checked out the shops, which were at least 50% fudge shops. Then, we stopped at the park for a bit to rest and let Asher play around in the wood chips.
+Michigan+Vacation+-Eric+&+Asher.jpg) |
| The park had a double slide, so Eric and Asher got to try it out together. Asher thought it was pretty fun! |
When we were [mostly] rested up, we went for a walk to the center part of the island to check out Arch Rock and the rest of the island beauty. Eric was pretty tired from pulling Asher's trailer around the island, so I carried him on my back. Thanks to the Ergo, it was pretty easy, but walking up several flights of stairs to the inner (& higher in elevation) part of the island was quite tiring!
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Asher & I at Arch Rock |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Eric,+Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| Family shot...Asher looks ready for bed! |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| This isn't the greatest picture of me, but I love my little sleepy head! |
Video: Sleepy Baby
After making it to Arch Rock, we followed the trails back to the Grand Hotel and then back to the main part of the island. Along the way we had to stop at Cupid's Pathway for a photo op.
 |
| Almost 12 years ago (August 2001), Eric and I took this picture on Cupid's Pathway during a day trip that we enjoyed the first summer we were together. |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Eric,+Asher+&+I.jpg) |
| 12 years later, we couldn't help but get a new shot with the new addition...even if it is just the top of the sleepy baby's head! |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Mackinac+Island+Stables.jpg) |
| The horse stables. The picture is hard to see, but it was a beautiful building for a barn. |
+Michigan+Vacation+-Mackinac+Island+Grand+Hotel.jpg) |
| The Grand Hotel |
Before we left the island, we stopped to get some fudge (Eric got regular chocolate flavor, while I got a chocolate/caramel fudge with sea salt...it was DELICIOUS!) Then, we got back on the ferry and headed back to the main land.
Earlier in the post, I noted to pay attention to a photo of a building for a future story...here is the story:
As Eric and I waited in line for the ferry, I noticed that the man in front of us was carrying an AIA bag (American Institute of Architects). I pointed it out to Eric, who struck up a conversation with them when we got onto the ferry. It turned out that he and the woman with him were both architects and partners in a firm (we had assumed, incorrectly, that they were a couple) in Ann Arbor. We talked with them the entire 25 minute ride back and learned that they are the architects of record for
Mackinac Island's Grand Hotel and they do all of their architectural work needed along with much of the historic restoration and architectural work needed on the island (including the building in the photo above)...pretty cool! We also learned that the woman (who knew all about the places that Eric and I used to work at in Ann Arbor and also knew my old boss well) used to be on the Huron River chapter of the AIA and may have been on the jury for reviews that Eric & I had while we were in school. We do not know for sure, but she did look quite familiar to both of us (small world). Now, she is the
president of AIA Michigan...thus, a great contact to have if Eric and I head back to Michigan! ...hey, Ms. Burns, I don't know if you remember us, but we once enjoyed a ferry ride with you...??? ;)
+Michigan+Vacation+-Eric.jpg) |
| Eric ordering our fudge, while Asher & wait outside. |
Finally, we got back to the mainland, loaded up our bikes and headed back to Gaylord. It was a great (& exhausting) day!
No comments:
Post a Comment