As I said in my last post, our family headed to the cottage the Friday before Memorial Day to enjoy the holiday weekend with Eric's family. We were all very excited for a fun weekend on the lake with family, and although it was a good weekend overall, it did leave some things to be desired. First of all, was the travel. We left at a little after 1:00 pm our time on Friday afternoon hoping to be at our destination early enough for the boys to enjoy an early dinner and some fun outside before it was time to settle down for bed. Unfortunately the Chicago area traffic was awful (as usual) and we added an additional two hours to our trip before we had even left the state of Illinois, meaning that it took us almost six hours total to get to the cottage and it was nearly bedtime when we arrived (still having not had dinner). I'd like to say that the extra time in the car with the family was enjoyable, but that wouldn't be the truth. I was about ready to rip my hair out by the time we arrived and began to wonder if I would be able to make any more long trips like this again any time soon. My mother and I have spoken several times in the past about whether or not we support DVD players in cars. She (who seems to be against them) argues that some of the best family moments we shared were spent together in the car. While I agree with that point, and have yet to purchase a system for our family transport, I do have to admit that the last few times we've traveled I have told Eric that we need to get one. There is only so much a parent (me) can take while entertaining the kiddos in the backseat so that the other parent can drive. At some point, I long for nothing other than the droned silence that television provides (terrible, I know). I will even admit that while in the car during the crazy moments such as these, I frequently envision myself with a separation window like limousines have quietly pulling the lever for the window to raise and block out all of the shrieks and cries that are 10x more painful in the confinement of a minivan.
 |
| One of the little trouble makers sitting behind me. |
 |
| Eric and Asher enjoying a brief moment outside as we take a quick break from the turtle paced traffic. |
 |
| When we finally made it to the cottage, we dipped Avery's toes in the lake for the first time. The only other time he had been there was Thanksgiving, so it was obviously too cold then! |
 |
| I love Asher's face in this picture as he watches us introduce Avery to the lake. |
Because of our long drive, which led to a late dinner, which led to a let bedtime, Eric and I were hoping that the boys would sleep in on Saturday morning and give us a good night of rest. That was not the case. Despite the fact that Avery had slept through the night for the three nights before going to the cottage, he decided that he needed to get me up and eat during the night. Then, at the first sign of sunlight, Asher was up and ready to go. With the cottage being in the Eastern timezone, you would think Asher would still wake up at roughly the normal time (6:30-7:00 CST). Instead he somehow woke up at 6:30 EST, meaning that we did not get the sleep we had hoped for and morning came MUCH too quickly. When he started to squeak, we had hoped that he would lay back down, but when I saw the shadow of his head immediately pop up, look out the window and start commenting on the lake and the boat, I knew there was no going back. Despite that, we still tried to get him to quietly look out the window, but minutes later when we heard our littlest crying on the monitor, I knew it was all over and time to get up.

I got myself out of bed and went to fetch the littlest one. As soon as I picked him up, I knew something was wrong...he felt HOT...very hot! :( I took him back into bed with me and took his temperature which was 103.7. He was a very unhappy little guy. I nursed him and then gave him some tylenol to bring down the fever. Then we headed downstairs with Asher and Eric. Minutes later, I was holding him when he threw up all over both of us! At that point, I called the pediatrician for his recommendation and began panicking about the weekend ahead. Eric's sister, brother-in-law, nephew and brother were all scheduled to be joining us at the cottage that evening and the LAST thing I wanted was to get any of them sick...especially Eric's sister who is expecting a baby in July. Eric's mom let them know what was going on and since they weren't planning to come until later that day we decided to see how Avery was doing later in the day. Thankfully after giving him a second dose of medicine (since he'd thrown up the first), his fever went down to about 100 and he was back to being his happy little self. The rest of the day, his fever stayed down fairly low and he was mostly himself (just a clingier version). He did struggle with the fever off and on throughout Saturday and Sunday, but as long as we gave him some Motrin it went back down and kept him happy for most of the weekend. The rest of Eric's family did come and join us that evening and to my knowledge no one else got sick, so it all turned out ok!
By the time the medicine had kicked in, Asher was DYING to go outside and since it was already a gorgeous day, we obliged.
 |
| Emma, Avery, Eric, Asher & Gramps hanging out by the lake. |
 |
| My little guy looks like such a BIG guy in this picture!! :( He's growing up too quickly!!! |
 |
| Fishin' with Gramps |
 |
| When we went to the cottage for Thanksgiving, Eric told Asher that if the lake wasn't frozen he'd take him out on the paddle boat. Well, the lake wasn't frozen, but the paddle was frozen to the ground, so they didn't get to go. This weekend, even though the pontoon boat was in the lake, the first boat ride Asher wanted to go on was the paddle boat. Here he is all set to go, so we enjoyed a short little ride as a family of five (with Emma). |
 |
| Since Avery wasn't feeling well, we enjoyed LOTS of snuggles this weekend (even more than usual!). |
 |
| Avery all set for his first boat ride! |
 |
| After our paddle boat ride, Asher got to help Daddy and Gramps put the jet skis in the water and then they took them for a spin. Last summer he wasn't too sure about the jet skis, but this summer he thought they were AWESOME! |
 |
| Avery & I in the hammock swing while we watched Gramps, Daddy & Asher go out on the jet skis. |
 |
| My Big Guys |
 |
| My littlest wishing he could play with the big guys. |
After lunch, Asher had no problem going down for a nap since he'd already been up and playing outside for almost 8 hours. Avery on the other hand refused to nap, so Grandma took him for a walk while I got to relax for a bit in the hammock. I tried to take a nap, but couldn't fall asleep so instead, I just enjoyed the warm sunlight and the view.
When nap time was all over, we piled onto Gramps & Grandma's boat for a late afternoon ride and some ice cream! I was interested to see how Avery would do with his life jacket on for so long (since Asher was not a fan when he was a baby), but he did great...it just pushed his already chubby cheeks up even higher!
 |
| Emma & Gramps |
 |
| Avery & I |
 |
| Ridin' in the Captian's Chair! |
 |
| Asher enjoying his Mint Chocolate Chip! |
 |
| Princess Emma up on her throne. |
Toward the end of our boat ride, Avery started to get fussy, so we gave him a water bottle to play with...problem solved! He loved to chew on it and make it crinkle. As he laid on the seat playing with the bottle though, Eric's mom's empty ice cream cup flew up with the breeze and smacked him right in the forehead! Then just seconds later, the breeze caught his bottle and flew it out of the boat!
When we got back to the cottage, the rest of Eric's family greeted us on the shore. We had gotten Asher and Emmett some bubble blasters and they had a good time shooting bubbles.
 |
| Emmett trying to work the bubble blaster. |
 |
| Asher blasting Uncle (baby) Robby. |
After a bit more playtime at the beach and a yummy taco dinner it was time to get cleaned up and head to bed...the end to our first full day.
 |
| To clean up, Asher tried out the outdoor shower...he was a fan although a little chilly. |
Before bed on Saturday night, Avery's fever had gone back up to 103.5 after having almost no fever throughout the day (with no medicine) and he was not a happy guy again. I gave him more Motrin and tried to get him to go to sleep, but unfortunately he wasn't interested in leaving my side. Instead he spent almost the entire night laying on my chest while I lay in bed longing to get some rest. Despite that, when Sunday morning came I did the best I could to enjoy the day and the time with our family.
Just a couple of hours after we got up though, Avery was wanting to nurse again and quickly fell asleep. I laid him on the bed next to me hoping to get a little rest myself, but before I could fall asleep he was up and at'em again.
When we came back outside, I was greeted by an unwelcome sight...Eric introducing Asher to the minibike! I wasn't thrilled about it, but knew that Eric would never do anything that would get Asher hurt. So, I watched as they very slowly rode around the yard with Asher smiling from ear to ear and me cringing inside.
 |
| Asher riding the minibike with Eric. |
At lunch time, I got Asher some food while Eric entertained Avery. When I realized that they were taking a while upstairs, I went to check on them laying on the bed with Avery completely passed out. Since Asher was getting ready to take his nap, Eric tried to transition Avery to the couch. Unfortunately the transition didn't go smoothly, so Eric took Avery for a trip to Home Depot while Asher and I got some rest.
 |
| Tired baby snuggling with Daddy. |
 |
| Avery at Home Depot |
When nap time was over, we all got ready and headed out for another boat trip (sans ice cream). Emmett and Asher both got to take turns driving us around and the three eldest sons decided to brave the lake for a (very) quick swim.
 |
| Playing with Avery. |
 |
| Emmett & Asher all set to go |
 |
| Rob, Dave & Eric preparing to jump in the lake (which was around 62 degrees I think) |
 |
| Action shot! There they go! |
 |
| Emma left all alone (possibly the smartest of the four of them?) |
 |
| I wish I hadn't put my camera down after they jumped in, so I could have captured their reactions better. Apparently one quick jump in the water was all they needed and they swam as quickly as they could to get back on the boat. |
 |
| Asher decided he wanted to be like the big guys and touch the lake as well, so Gramps & Daddy dunked his legs. That was all he needed. |
 |
| Asher enjoying his Rice Krispie treat on the boat. |
 |
| Family photo! The cute family of 4 (soon to be 5!) |
 |
| Eric & Asher snuggling on the boat. |
 |
| Gramps & Emmett |
 |
| Asher helping Uncle Robby drive the boat. |
 |
| Brother is SOOOO funny! |
After our boat ride, we enjoyed more fun on the beach before an awesome dinner of ribs and corn on the cob (chomp, chomp, chomp, ding!)...
 |
| Emmett, Asher & Dave playing in the sand |
 |
| Molly, Emma & Rob enjoying a good run around the yard...apparently he is the fun uncle for ALL the kids! ;) |
 |
| Asher & Emmett enjoying their dinner. |
...and when dinner was over we enjoyed ANOTHER boat ride to get some ice cream for dessert! :)
 |
| We're being followed! |
 |
| Aser driving like a crazy man! |
 |
| Avery just couldn't handle all the excitement and allowed the boat to lull him to sleep. |
 |
| Ice Cream! |
 |
| Sunset & Ice Cream on the Boat...can it get any better? |
 |
| Little man got his turn to drive the boat! |
 |
| Asher, Eric & Emmett looking in the "Treasure Chest" on our "Pirate Ship" |
When our sunset/ice cream boat ride was complete we headed into the house to get ready for bed. Avery decided to take a big poop before bed though, which turned into a total blow-out and required a good bath before bedtime.

After bath time, it was finally bedtime. Again Asher went to sleep very easily. I thought Avery would go to sleep easily as well as he seemed very tired, but as I tried to nurse him before bed I realized I must have hit the "over-tired" mark because he could not concentrate and was pretty wired. To calm him down, we headed outside to sit around the campfire with all of the adults. After some time of staring at the fire, he was ready to settle down and go to bed. Although he had had very little fever throughout the day, it was back to 102.5 by evening, so I gave him a little more Motrin and put him down. He slept better than the night before, but still not great. This time, rather than sleeping on me all night he simply insisted on being able to touch me all night, so he slept next to me in bed, which meant that I was able to some sleep, but still not a good night of rest.
The next morning, it was Memorial Day and the last day of our long weekend. Like every other morning, we woke up early (darn kids!) and made the most of our time left with family and on the lake. We were pleasantly surprised to find that for the first time during the weekend Avery woke up with no fever (yay!).
 |
| Avery & Grandma hanging out at the lake. |
 |
| Blowing bubbles with Grandma |
 |
| Playing trucks with Gramps |
 |
| Emmett & Dave going for a ride on the lawnmower |
 |
| Avery & Daddy cuddling in the hammock. |
 |
| I spy Mommy! |
 |
| My little flirt (takes after his daddy!) |
Late in the morning, Uncle (baby) Robby had the idea of trying to make gigantic bubbles. He formed a contraption out of sticks and string and set out to amaze the little guys. Unfortunately they were too focused on playing in the sand and barely noticed for a while. Eventually, Asher became interested and Rob was excited to have the interest of at least one little kid (I was interested, but being an adult I think having my interest wasn't as important!). Surprisingly though, the most interested audience was not the kids, but Emma. She was EXTREMELY interested in the giant bubbles and could barely contain herself as she waited for them to be formed so she could hunt them down and pop them!
 |
| Asher & Rob making bubbles. |
 |
| Giant Bubble!! |
 |
| Avery watching the bubble go by. |
 |
| Emma & Asher bubble chasing. |
 |
| Emma caught mid-air to get a bubble. |
 |
| Back to the sand. |
 |
| What fun is sand without water? |
 |
| & mud splashing! |
 |
| Emma loves the beach too! |
 |
| Naked Baby! |
 |
| Avery got to go for his first jet ski ride too!! Don't worry, Eric went VERY slow. |
Late in the morning, it was time to start cleaning up and getting ready to head back home. Before we did so, we tried to get the 2015 Migrin cousins hammock picture (now with Avery!). The boys were not nearly as interested in getting the photo as we were. These are the "best" ones...
After picture time, Eric was holding Avery and I just couldn't help taking some adorable pictures of two of my favorite guys. It is obvious that Avery loves his Mommy as he rarely leaves my side, but in these pictures you can tell he loves his daddy too!
 |
| The exhausted pups taking a nap together. |
 |
| Grandma gives some kisses before we head home. |
Before we headed home, we took a grandparents & baby picture (sorry uncle baby Robby!) ;) Avery wasn't happy that he wasn't being held and unfortunately Emmett was napping, so we didm't get all the "babies", but the pictures did turn out alright nonetheless. :)

Finally, it was time to go home. The kids were in the van and we said our goodbyes to the family. As we were about to shut the van door and head out, I randomly decided to give Avery a kiss. BAD IDEA! My kiss reminded him that he was not in my arms were he had been for most of the weekend and he was TICKED! He screamed for the next 20 minutes until we stopped to get some gas and I nursed him hoping to calm him down. Once he had calmed we got back on the road and I gave him a bottle hoping that the full belly would put him to sleep. He took the bottle, but sleep did not follow. Instead when he was done with the bottle he went back to screaming. In the meantime, Asher was wide awake and wired even though he had not had his afternoon nap yet. We had hoped that both the kids would sleep the entire way home, but we were not so lucky. Instead, they were BEYOND crazy. After another half hour of this, we stopped at a plaza on the toll way for a "Redo". Eric took Avery and snuggled him for a bit while I took Asher and walked around to burn off some steam and look at things. Finally, we all got back into the van (this time we didn't let Avery even get a glimpse of me), and before we were back on the tollway both the little monsters were fast asleep. The peace and quiet lasted for about an hour and then Asher was awake again. Then another half hour later Avery woke up too. So much for a quiet way home. Asher was good the entire way, although demanding my attention and entertainment. Avery on the other hand was not impressed that he was still in his seat and not being held. He cried for most of the rest of our drive home (approx. 3 hours) and would only stop if I gave him puffs...which I did. He probably ate about half a container that day! When we got to Gurnee, Avery had had enough. Puffs no longer made do and all he wanted was OUT. He screamed and cried and reached for Mama the rest of the way home. When we pulled into the driveway, I immediately unbuckled him and took him out of his carseat. Like a switch, he immediately stopped crying and gave me a big smile. Sassy boy!
...so...it was a memorable weekend in many ways. It wasn't exactly what we would have hoped for, but we had great weather, some great family time and of course ice cream boat rides...what else do you need?
Our DVD player was a gift and I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first. We always try to save movie time for the end of the trip when the grumpies have emerged and parental patience is getting thin. It has definitely saved my sanity numerous times!
ReplyDelete