Saturday, October 27, 2018

A Team Weeks 211 & 212: Fall Kick Off

At the end of this week and the following week, we truly kicked off the Fall season with some fun fall activities.  Prior to that though the month of October and A Team Week 211 began with a trip to the pediatrician for Avery's 4 year well visit.  Everything checked out good, but I had never warned him of the possibility of getting shots.  I wasn't really sure, but I did think there was a chance as I had a vague memory of Asher getting them at age 4.  Sure enough he received 3 shots and he was FAR from happy about it.  With the appointment being first thing on Monday morning I had to bring him to daycare and then head up to work, but before doing so we made a stop at McDonalds for strawberry-banana smoothies to soothe the pain and trauma of vaccinations.


When we arrived at Christina's my little man was in much better spirits and quite happy that it was raining out so that he could use the new Batman umbrella that he'd saved up and purchased on his own.


After that, the remainder of the work week was pretty uneventful and passed quickly.  Before we knew it, it was Friday and Avery and I were preparing for a weekend up North to celebrate my mom's retirement before Asher finished school and Eric finished off a half day of work.



I worked to pack up for our weekend away quickly so that I could finish the projects I'd been working on for my mom.  The first was a T-Shirt and the second was a sign.  I had started both the night before with templates from my Cameo, but the spray paint job Eric had done on both didn't take and required attention and fixing that morning.  Avery was so interested in my painting that he insisted he get to paint as well...and that's what we did for much of the morning.



When our painting projects were complete and our packing was almost finished we headed off to pick up Asher from school.  Once again it was raining and once again my little batman was more than happy to use his new umbrella.

We picked up Asher from school, ate lunch, finished packing and then shortly after Eric got home we headed up North for the weekend.  We had a great time in the UP celebrating Mom's retirement (more on that to come) and then headed back home on Sunday.  When we arrived home we were surprised to find a flower on our mystery plant.  I got this plant from Asher for Mother's Day from the YMCA.  When I received it, it was basically a decorated cup with one unknown seed and a 50-50 mixture of dirt and water.  We had no idea what it was and Asher couldn't remember what the teacher told him.  I drained most of the water and then set it on the window sill to see if it would grow at all.  We weren't overly hopeful for it, but eventually it sprouted and by the end of the summer it looked like some sort of ivy or climbing vine, but this weekend a beautiful pink flower bloomed and we now know (thanks to my mom) that it is a Morning Glory.

That night the boys also enjoyed their flower cupcakes left over from Grandma's retirement party...



The next week (A Team Week 212) started off a little rough as we were all VERY tired.  We made it through the week though and before we knew it, it was the weekend again with more fun fall activities to do.
Avery getting his first awards from Awana.  He was pretty excited to now have some patches for his vest.

Video: Avery Sings the ABC Song and Recites Romans 3:23 (or as Avery says, "Romans 23:23")

On Friday night Asher had his Glow Run fundraiser followed by a Halloween Dance Party at his school.  Since we didn't have any costumes yet this year the boys and I headed out to look for some on Friday afternoon.  First we went to Target and while the boys found costumes that they liked unfortunately we couldn't find any in the sizes that they needed.  So, after taking pictures with some of the costumes and masks we headed out of the store to try another.  Before we left the store, the boys asked if we could get some popcorn so we headed over to the concession counter.  I ordered popcorn for us and the boys waited next to me and our cart (which was empty because we hadn't purchased anything).  As they waited and I paid I suddenly heard a loud crash followed by screaming out of Avery's mouth.  I turned to find Avery flat on his back on the floor with the shopping cart on top of him.  He had apparently tried to climb up into the empty cart and the cart flipped out from under him, sent him to the floor where he smacked the back of his head pretty hard and then landed on top of him.  It was a pretty traumatic event.  Before I could even react, we were surrounded by Target employees and looks from both employees and customers which obviously said that they believed I should have been watching Avery (who prior to that had been merely standing next to me) more closely.  As I consoled our very unhappy little boy we were handed a huge bag of ice and then the Target manager was asking all sorts of questions about what had happened.  It was nice that everyone showed concern for Avery, but as I filled out and signed an incident report with Target I knew that it was largely just a "CYA".  I understood the policy though and tried to help them fulfill their store requirements as needed, knowing it was no one's fault but Avery's.  He got a decent bump from the event, but by the next day it was gone and he said his head was feeling much better.  Hopefully it is a lesson learned, but only time will tell.





When the Target event was over the boys and I headed to Meijer and then Sam's Club to finalize their costume choices.  Avery ended up picking a red Power Ranger (which he is convinced is a luchador) and Asher picked out an Iron Man costume.  We headed back home to get ready for the party and then over to Asher's school shortly after Eric got home.
Avery showing me how tough he is in his new costume.

Video: Avery, What Did You Eat?   "Protein"

My costume for the evening.
The Glow Run was a quick event of running (or in my and Avery's cases, walking) around the school with glow-in-the dark accessories.  It didn't last long and that was fine with us as it was very windy and chilly out that evening.  As soon as it was finished we headed into the school for the party where we got to have some pizza, play some games and dance.


Harley Quinn and Iron Man (aka Asher and his classmate Zoe) having an intense 1st Grade discussion. ;)






After our fun Fall activities on Friday night, our main focus for the remainder of the weekend was on Operation Shared Room.  With the baby coming in just a few months we had to get Avery out of the nursery and into a room with Asher.  We spent Saturday morning relaxing at home and then headed out to find a new mattress for the boys' new bunk bed.
Asher had a little photo shoot with Emma on Saturday morning.



Video: Avery Plays 'Catch' with the Leaf Blower

Eric and the boys lifting a MASSIVE wrench at Menards.



That afternoon, after a good rest, it was the moment the boys had been waiting for for a couple of weeks...I began to assemble their bed.  I started it while the boys were outside helping Eric rake leaves, thinking it would be easier to do without their "help".  When Asher came into the house and saw what I was doing he immediately ran outside and yelled to Avery, "Avery!  The box is open!  Mom is putting together our bed!"  :P


Once Eric was finished outside, he came inside to help me out and progress came much quicker.  After about 3 hours of work it was finished, just in time for bed!  We put on the mattresses, made the beds and then that night the boys official began their shared room-ship together.


Noooooo!!!  Don't do it!!! :)




Eric and I were both nervous how the night and this new situation would go, but after a long day and a little giggling before bed they both fell asleep quickly and slept soundly through the night.  Mission Accomplished!
After 4 years sleeping in his crib/toddler bed Avery still needs to learn how to sleep with real covers in a Big Boy Bed.

Asher's head was facing the opposite direction when we said goodnight that evening.

Finally, on Sunday we finished up Week 212 with a lazy day at home (and church) and some fun Halloween donuts.


No comments:

Post a Comment