Saturday, May 3, 2014

Easter Memories

Easter is a special time of the year, where we get to celebrate the life that we have been given through Jesus' death and resurrection.  Like most holidays, it brings my thoughts to Easters of the past.  I remember a hot sunny day running a wooden duck with rubber feet up and down the sidewalk at my Aunt's home.  I remember a Big Mac cake and butterscotch french fries made for my brother's birthday (on or very near the holiday).  I remember a gummy alligator in my basket (which was actually pretty disgusting).  I remember getting Socks by Beverly Cleary in my basket, and I'm pretty sure it was the first non-illustrated book I'd ever read.  I remember getting frustrated because I couldn't find my basket and the "Easter Bunny" had a knack for finding the hardest spots (like inside a popcorn tin in the basement or hanging from a truss in the garage).  I remember wonderful mornings enjoying hymns at church or the sunrise up on the hill in Carney.  I remember doing a skit with my youth group at the church cemetery.  I remember the early post-sunrise service breakfasts at church savoring yummy sticky buns and discussing the upcoming events with the Smiths.  In more recent years, I can recall my first Easter spent with the Migrins while Eric and I were "just friends", coloring Eggs his mom and brother and quickly falling in love.  I can also recall a time that I was very disappointed that Eric found his basket by accident when I had thought I'd found the perfect hiding spot.  I remember dying Easter eggs with Asher for the first time, because I didn't want his "first time" to be at daycare, and I also I remember the joy on his face Easter morning when he "found" his basket and the disappointment on Emma's face when she realized there wasn't one for her.  

On a much less positive note, I also remember three years ago as Eric and I mourned the loss of our first baby very early in my pregnancy that we had waiting and prayed for so long for.  I don't think I will ever forgot that year as my heart just couldn't celebrate.  Although I was thankful for the salvation God has given me, I was angry with Him and heartbroken.  It took time, but I healed (mostly).  My heart still aches at those memories, but life has continued forward and I can barely count the abundant blessings in it.  God is so good, and while I do not understand why we had to loose that baby, I am thankful for what has happened since.  In the past three years we have gone from discouraged, disheartened and child-less to the crazy life we have now have, relishing parenthood and the time with our busy toddler and looking forward to meeting baby number two.  God never ceases to amaze me.  We truly are "Blessed Beyond Measure".

I say all this because I couldn't help but smile this Easter Sunday at the wonderful memories we made this weekend.  It was truly a great time with family and friends and I know that in the years to come, I will look back on this year's memories with joyful smiles...

WARNING: Photo HEAVY Blog to follow!!  :)

This Easter, the memories started a bit before the weekend was actually under way...  

On Wednesday, I had to work because I was taking Friday off instead.  While I was working I received a couple of pictures of my boy concentrating hard as he worked on coloring eggs.
Our Little Lefty

On Friday, Asher and I enjoyed the morning together packing up the van for a weekend up North, doing a little shopping together and then delivering an Easter Lily to our neighbor Marge, who frequently leaves little surprises for us.
Asher all set to deliver the Easter Lily

After lunch, Eric came home from work and then we headed up to Mom & Dad's.  It was a nice, uneventful drive with a stop along the way in Menominee to meet Mom, Dad, Aunt Bonnie and Rachel for dinner.  It was fun to catch up with them and nice to have a stop to break up the trip.  We finally got home around 8 and let Asher burn off a little steam before bed.  Unfortunately, I think he was WAY over tired and it resulted in him and Daddy snuggling for over an hour until he fell asleep.

On Saturday, we enjoyed a relaxing morning at home and then got ready for Asher's first Easter Egg hunt at the park in Nadeau.  
Elmer Fud?
Just before 11am, we headed down to the park for the hunt.  Asher didn't understand why he wasn't allowed to run into the park and play with everything.  Instead, we made him wait until it was time for the hunt to begin.  As we waited, the Easter Bunny (aka my mom) came to say hello.  We weren't sure what Asher would think of the costume, but he did surprisingly well with it.


Asher waiting with the other kids for the hunt to start.
When it became 11am, we were off and "running" (stumbling along with a toddler) to find some eggs.  When Asher found his first one, Eric opened it up to show him there was candy inside.  Then, we had to open every egg from then on, to check and make sure it held goodies like the others.  We didn't find too many eggs, as Asher was much slower than the bigger kids, but he had fun anyway and that was all that mattered.  I just enjoyed seeing his smiling face and watching him look around for the eggs.  Daddy even helped him out by throwing eggs he had already found back on the ground when he wasn't looking so that he could "find" them again.  He was a happy boy!












One of the things that truly brought joy to my heart this weekend though happened as we were looking for eggs and realizing that they were pretty much all found.  As we walked around, Eric noticed that our pastor was also walking around with his wife and boy who had gotten to the park late.  His son had unfortunately missed out on the eggs and couldn't find any.  Eric, not wanting to see a disappointed kid at the Egg Hunt, took some of Asher's eggs (not that Asher would notice they were missing) and re-hid them so that this boy could (unsuspectingly) find them.  At that moment I was very proud to be his wife and thankful that my son has such an amazing father...one memory that I know I will hold dear for years to come...
Asher wanting to go down the slide like the big kids.
At the end of the hunt, Eric realized that one of Asher's eggs was a special egg and that he could use it to claim a prize.  We took Asher to find what he'd won and Asher's eyes lit up by the table filled with stuffed animals, big and small.  When he received his, he was left holding a small gray and pink bunny and his face fell.  I think that is the first time I have seen true disappointment on his face, as that was obviously not the toy he had hoped for.  We walked away with the bunny and Asher proceeded to drop it on the ground and run over to the playground.  I was kind of horrified, that he would do something so disrespectful, but had to remind myself that he is only 1 and clearly the slide was much more important than the small (girly) bunny.  On the plus side, Asher had connections with the Easter Bunny and was able to trade it in for a left-over ducky instead after the other kids had left.

Asher hanging with the Easter Bunny.
Jumping off the table.
The Easter Bunny came to say goodbye.
Watching the Easter Bunny drive home.
Another shot of our Elmer Fud.  Grandma bought him the new camo rain boots, so Papa gave him a hat to match.  He looks like he is all set for hunting season!

The Easter Bunny followed us home!


After the excitement of the egg hunt, we enjoyed a quick lunch at home and then nap time.  Asher was not thrilled about taking a nap, but was a very tired little boy...so tired, that he fell asleep sitting up in the pack-n-play.
Video: Sleepy Boy

When nap time was over, we enjoyed some fun outside.  It was a beautiful sunny day, although still a bit cold for my preference.  Asher, however, did not care about the temperature and was simply thrilled to be outside.




Asher & Grandma enjoying a stroll around the yard.
Papa taking Asher & Eric for a ride.


When we had had enough of the cold, we headed back inside to color Easter eggs, before ending the evening by visiting with our good friends the Smiths and the Strietzels and enjoying some delicious pizza, salad and dessert (a BIG thank you to Mom for making me one of my favorites: Coconut Cream Pie...YUM)!










Video: Coloring Eggs

The next day was Easter!  We started the morning off with a relaxing time playing in the basement with all of my old toys.  Then, we headed up stairs for a little egg/easter basket hunt...

...I (or the Easter Bunny) hid the eggs that Asher had colored the night before.  I was nervous that once he discovered there was no candy in these eggs (unlike the eggs yesterday) he wouldn't be interested in searching for them.  Thankfully he didn't disappointment and was very willing to seek out all 18 eggs!  It was super cute, every time he would find an egg he would get a big smile on his face, do a little dance and then give the egg to Daddy.  Then, he was off to go find another.





When I was growing up there was ALWAYS an egg in the Q-Tip jar, and surprisingly (?) there was one again this year! ;)


Asher & Daddy finding the last egg.  They needed a bit more help, since it was above Asher's eye level.

When all of the eggs had been found, we began to look for our baskets (yes, we all had something to find).  I wasn't sure if this would be hard for Asher, since his basket was not completely in the open as almost all of the eggs had been.  However, within seconds of starting our search he had found his prize, and we all spent the next few minutes looking through to see what Asher had received.


Video: Asher's Basket








Asher and his basket.  He got a stuffed dinosaur, an Easter book, a fun bed-time book, a plate/bowl/fork&spoon set, some large crayons, a small bag of Goldfish, some boxes of Craisins and a few plastic eggs with actual candy inside (M&M's & Whopper eggs).  When he discovered the plastic eggs, he immediately wanted Daddy to open them for him, as he had quickly learned the day before that they typically hold something delicious!


Enjoying some of his "treats"
Picture time with Grandma & Papa.
Once we had enjoyed some time going through Asher's basket with him, we set out to find our own.  Everyone except Eric found ours quickly as they were all hidden pretty easy.  Eric's took a bit longer, as I realized maybe his was a bit on the harder side.  In the meantime, Asher decided to take a stroll to the back of the house, but was not willing to leave his basket behind.  He drug it behind him every where he went!  ...another memory that will make my heart smile for years to come! :)

Video: Can't Leave It Behind

Finally, Eric found his basket in the cabinet!

After the fun of Easter eggs and baskets, we enjoyed a light breakfast and got ready for Easter church.

Trying to get kisses from Asher.
His reaction to one of my kisses.
My little man all set for Easter Sunday church.
Church was great.  The service was a contata performed by the church choir, and they did an amazing job.  It was a great time of focusing on our Savior and the life that God has blessed us with, both here on earth and for eternity in heaven.  Another memory that I will ponder in my heart though happened at the very beginning of the contata.  As the choir began to sing How Can I Keep From Singing?, our baby literally leapt in my womb and began to wiggle like crazy.  I couldn't help but smile to myself and think that even before birth, my baby already knows his/her creator.

Family Shot
Asher with Grandma & Papa

After church, we headed back to Mom & Dad's to pack up the van.  While Eric and I got ready to go, Asher played with Papa in the basement and got to try out my old doctor set glasses...


Me on my 3rd Birthday.


Finally, it was time for us to head out, but the fun wasn't over..we got to stop in Menominee to enjoy a lovely family lunch at my cousin Bonnie's house.  Asher was so tired that he fell asleep before we made it out of Carney and slept the entire way there.  Then at lunch, he was able to enjoy a bunch of yummy foods, including TONS of black olives (one of his favorites), some ham (which he was lovin') and quite a few M&Ms (thanks to Grandma & Papa).  Before the fun was over, the Easter Bunny made another appearance and Asher got to join the rest of the kids in the back yard for ANOTHER Easter Egg Hunt.  Then, it was finally time to head home.  It was a fantastic weekend and our little guy had had so much fun that he could not keep his eyes open for almost the entire way.  He was quite awake for the first half hour or so (on a sugar buzz I think), but once that wore off, he was out.  We tried several times to wake him, so that he would sleep that night, but he would just look at us and then go back to sleep.  Our boy was tuckered out!

Asher enjoying olives at Bonnie's

Video: Oh SOOOOOOOO Tired!

We ended the amazing weekend with a little play time in the basement before bed, and Asher was able to try out his new chalkboard wall for the first time.  It is pretty awesome to be able to write on the walls! ;)
Video: A Bit of Fun Before Bed


No comments:

Post a Comment