Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Mother's Day

Today was my 2nd Mother's Day (well 3rd if you count my pregnancy with Asher).  Prior to being a mom, I always thought that Mother's Day was a holiday to celebrate our Mothers.  Although I know that it is still that (& I am continually thankful for the mother that God gave me), I now realize that Mother's Day is also a day for moms to celebrate their little (but HUGE) blessings!  Although we spent the day celebrating our moms, and Eric and Asher also celebrated me, I couldn't help but feel that I am already the luckiest person alive to have a wonderfully loving and supportive husband, a beautiful little boy, and another little bundle of love and snuggles in the making.  What more could I ask for?

Well, despite my feelings of needing nothing more, my boys did a great job of spoiling me nonetheless.  The day started out with a beautiful, sunny Spring day and Eric getting up with Asher so I could grab some extra sleep.  When I awoke an hour or so later, I found that I was in a very quiet and empty house.  Soon after though, my boys pulled into the driveway, and I heard them entering the back door as I sat in the office.  I listened as Eric encouraged Asher to bring something to me.  Soon, his adorable little face appeared and I saw that he was holding a clear plastic container with two of my favorite chocolate cake/chocolate frosting donuts inside.  I could see it was killing him not to open them, but he resisted temptation, handed them to me and then immediately pointed at the container and said, "Open It!".  I obliged and we headed back to the dining room where we enjoyed the yummy treats together.





Once we had devoured a gooey donut and gulped a chaser of milk, Eric and Asher continued to spoil me with a lovely card, some flowers, two salad continainers (that I had wanted for my work lunches) and the other half of the massage I had been given last year (that's another story that mostly points to me being a financial control freak and hating to spend money...maybe this year I'll actually use it?).  Asher was very excited by all the gifts and was thrilled that I allowed him to help me open them.  Once the salad containers were opened though, he was totally convinced that they were new toys for him and spent several minutes taking everything apart and then attempting to put it all back together while also seeing what else the containers could hold.


When we were finished opening presents, we grabbed some more breakfast (cereal & yogurt) and headed to the back yard to enjoy it and the gorgeous weather.

Video: Asher blowing kisses to send to Grandma.




Eventually, we all headed back into the house to get ready for church.  Asher (who I believe was QUITE overtired after our fun day at the zoo the day before) refused to go inside.  Instead, he stood outside crying while we tried to entice him with snacks.  Didn't work.  Eventually, we gave up and Eric just picked him up and brought him to the nursery.  I got to go into the sanctuary to enjoy the baptisms of the morning (19 in one Sunday, which is basically unheard of!).  Then at the end of the service I (along with all of the other moms) was given a red rose to head home with.
 

When church was over, we head back home to get our little grump into bed for nap time.  Before going into the house though, we attempted to take a few family pictures.  Then we enjoyed a quick lunch and went to sleep.  The rest of the afternoon was mostly uneventful, but we were surprised with a visit from my Aunt Bonnie and cousins Rachel and Brandon, allowing us a nice time to catch up.

All in all, it was a great day and as always I am just thankful for the opportunity to be a mom!






No comments:

Post a Comment