Thursday, May 8, 2014

?Gender Reveal?


Yesterday, Eric and I went to our 20 week ultrasound.  With Asher we decided to not find out if we were having a boy or a girl.  It was a tough decision to make, but we thoroughly enjoyed the surprise in the delivery room.  This time around, we wanted to do the same thing, but the temptation for the reveal was very strong.  Up until the moment that we told the technician we didn't want to find out, I really wasn't positive that my willpower would hold up.  Well, it did and after the ultrasound, we still don't know what 'M' will be and have forced ourselves to wait another 4 months to find out.  In the mean time, we have a few pictures of our cutie to keep our minds on.

Creepy face shot.  'M' wasn't overly cooperative for the ultrasound pictures!
Blurry (moving) hand/arm
3D face shot
Another 3D face shot.  The best picture we could get.
Baby Feet
Since we don't know 'M's gender, I thought I would do a bit of "research" using the Old Wives' Tales I could find online to see what we're having.  I don't hold much stock in them, but it is always fun to give it a go nonetheless.  According to the results for Asher (prediction #1), I should have had a boy (and did) and 'M' should be a girl (prediction #2).  Well, I guess we'll see, come September!...

Old Wives' Tales:
http://pregnancy.familyeducation.com/gender-predictor/old-wives-tales/70198.html
1. Rumor has it that if you are carrying your baby high, it's a girl. Carrying low? Stock up on blue.With With Asher, I always thought I was carrying high (probably because I frequently had to push him down out of my ribcage and away from my lungs so I could breath), but since I'm not very tall it is hard to say.  This time, it is still too early to really tell (I think), but I seem to be carrying much lower...which probably tells more about the state of my stomach muscles than it does the gender of our baby.Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)Prediction #2: Boy

2. Similar tales say if you carry in front, you've got yourself a little boy, and if you expand horizontally, it's a girl.
With Asher, everyone told me I was all in front.  With this baby, few have said anything, but my own husband did tell me (very cautiously) recently that I looked like I was pregnant from behind.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

3. Legends say that if you are having a little girl, she'll steal your beauty. So, if you've got acne and other not-so-pretty skin blemishes, you've got a little princess coming your way.  Dry hands and cold feet are signs of a boy. So, if you've got these ailments, break out the baby blue.
With Asher, I had great skin.  My hands were not too dry (or at least not more-so than usual) and I was pimple free.  With this baby, my hands are the driest I can remember them being in years (or ever), but I have had a few small pimples (which is uncommon for me).
Prediction #1: Boy/Girl?? (Inconclusive)
Prediction #2: Boy/Girl??


4. Take off your wedding ring, tie it to a piece of string, and hang it over your belly. If it swings in a circle, you are promised a boy; back and forth indicates a girl.I never tried this with Asher, but for this baby, I got back and forth.
Prediction #1: InconclusivePrediction #2: Girl


5. The mom-to-be is required to pee in a cup, and mix in a tablespoon of Drano. If the liquid turns green, you're having a girl. Blue? You guessed it. It's a boy.  A safer version of this experiment uses baking soda. If the mixture fizzles, it's a boy. If it doesn't, you've got yourself a girl!
This is gross and TMI for a blog.  I am not going to try it and wouldn't tell the world if I did.

6. Your baby's heart rate might be an indicator of its gender. If your little one's heart rate is under 140 beats per minute, you're having a little boy. If it's over, get ready for your little girl!I think that Asher was always above 140, and so far this baby has been to (ranging from 162-142 at four separate appointments).Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)Prediction #2: Girl

7. Craving sweets? According to some, that means your going to have a little girl. Salty and sour cravings indicate a boy.
With Asher, this held pretty true.  I craved Sour Skittles and nachos from Qdoba, with no more interest in sweets than I would normally have.  With this baby, I can't eat anything salty or I deeply regret it afterwards and I am LOVING chocolate, cinnamon crunch bagels, ice cream and other candies for my stand-bys when those are not at hand.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

8. Chinese birth charts use your age at conception and the month you conceived to determine the sex of your baby.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl (I tried several options on line.  One did say boy, but the rest said girl.)

9. The Mayans used a similar method. They looked at your age at conception and the year your baby was conceived. If both are even or odd, it's a girl. If one is even and one is odd, oh baby — it's a boy!
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl

10. Has your spouse been indulging in your pregnancy cravings, too? If your hubby packs on a little sympathy weight, the tales say you're in for a sugary-sweet little girl.
Eric has pretty much been the same size and weight since I met him 14 years ago.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

11. Actually, morning sickness means pink. If you're stricken with a queasy stomach during your first trimester, think ribbons and bows. If you sail through your pregnancy with nary an upset stomach, it's blue all the way.
With Asher, I felt the nausea was more severe in the first trimester, but once those 13 weeks were over, it was smooth sailing.  With this baby, my nausea has been less severe, but over all I have puked several times more and at 20 weeks still deal with nausea several times a week.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl

12. If you've got a preggo friend, try this little experiment on her. Place a key in front of her and ask her to pick it up.  
If she grabs it by the narrow part, she'll have a sweet little girl. If she picks it up by the round part, she'll have an adorable little boy.

Again, I didn't actually try this, but I am pretty sure I know what I would do.  I would pick it up by the round end, who wouldn't.  If you picked it up at the other end, the key is rendered useless.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a28444349/51_gender_prediction_wives_tales
13. You can find out the sex by going off of your parent's kids and the order. If you are the first born, you will have what your mother had but starting with her second child. If you are the middle child, you will have what she said, but starting with the third child. If you are the last child, you will have what your mother had in the exact order.
I am the youngest (of two).  My mom had a boy and then a girl.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

14. The person that is most aggressive in bed at the time of conception is the opposite of what the baby will be.
Again TMI, no comment.

15. If your legs get really big, you're having a boy. If your legs stay in shape and lean, it's a girl.
Well, my legs have never really been "in shape & lean".  With Asher they swelled up greatly (especially below the knees) toward the end of my pregnancy.  With this baby, there is no change yet, but I expect the summer will bring similar swelling.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Inconclusive.

16. If you are really moody, you are having a girl since you have another extra girl hormones in you. Your pregnancy will make you smile and be more happy if you are having a boy because there's a little penis inside you.
With Asher I was happier than I am normally (not pregnant). With this baby, my emotions and anxiety have been much more of a struggle.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

17. If you eat the ends of bread, it's a boy. If you eat the middle of the load, it's a girl.
Although I will eat the ends of bread, I'd prefer the middle...who wouldn't?
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl

18. Basically you are having a girl if your beauty disappears during pregnancy. It is said that the girl steals the mother's beauty. If you think that pregnancy has never made you look more beautiful, you might just be having a little boy.
With Asher I did feel like I was glowing.  I felt proud of my bump and beautiful, even though I cringe at many of the pictures now when I look back at them (at least the ones toward the end of my pregnancy).  With this baby, I am MUCH more self conscious.  Although I don't feel hideous, I am definetly not feeling as beautiful as I did with Asher.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

19. If you have dreams that you are having a boy, you will have a girl. If you dream about having a girl, it will be a boy. Dreams show the opposite of what you are having.
With Asher I dreamt of a little girl with curly light brown/dark blonde hair.  I ended up with a little boy with curly light brown/dark blonde hair.  With this baby I have had plenty of strange dreams, but none that I recall about the baby.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Inconclusive

20. If the pregnant woman is graceful throughout her pregnancy, she's having a girl. If she becomes clumsy, she's having a boy. 
"Graceful" isn't typically a word that is used to describe anyone in my family and that carried through with both pregnancies.  With this pregnancy, I have spilled several things, shattered a bottle of nail polish all over our bathroom floor (and we now have coral pink grout around the toilet) and cannot seem to brush my teeth without getting toothpaste on my shirt.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

21. If a toddler boy expresses interest in a pregnant woman, she is having a girl. If he doesn't show interest, she's having a boy. 
There are a few toddlers that I knew at the time of my pregnancy with Asher.  None of them showed any real interest in my pregnancy.  This time around, I also can't remember any real interest shown either.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

22. If a pregnant woman prefers to lay on her left side, she's having a boy. If she prefers resting on her right side, she's having a girl.
With Asher I almost always laid on my right side, but I think that was largely because I heard it was better for the baby.  With this one I still mostly lay on my right side, but I have also had more interest in my left side and back than I did with Asher.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Boy

23. When the pregnant woman is asked to show her hands, it's a boy if she keeps her palms down and a girl if she shows her palms up.
This one is kind of dumb.  I can't do it now, because I've already read it and that would affect the results.  I really think it depends on how the question is asked though.  My guess is that I would show the tops of my hands though, so I will mark them both as boy.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

24. If a pregnant woman's left breast is larger than the right breast, she's having a girl. If the right breast is larger, it's a boy.
Again TMI, no comment.

25. Have someone hold a necklace over your hand. If the necklace swings back and forth, it's a boy. If it moves in a circle, it's a girl.
I never tried this with Asher, but for this baby, I got circles.
Prediction #1: Inconclusive
Prediction #2: Girl

26. 71% of the time, the mom-to-be knows what she is having.
With Asher, a part of me had hoped for a girl, but deep down I think I always knew it was a boy.  This time around, I have been feeling girl pretty strongly, but maybe it is just the fact that I know we'll probably only have two kids and I'd really like one of each??
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

27. If your areolae have darkened, it's a boy.
Again TMI, no comment.

28. When a pregnant woman craves meat and cheese, count on a boy. 
With Asher, I don't recall craving meat, but this time I have.  Early on in my pregnancy I wanted steak and red meats and even now Swedish Meatballs always seem to sound really tasty!
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Boy

29. If the hair on your legs has been growing at record speeds, you might be having a boy.
I'm not sure I can really comment on my legs specifically, but with Asher it seemed like my hair in general stopped growing and falling out, but was rich and full.  Now, my hair is continuing to grow and fall out at a normal rate.
Prediction #1: Girl?? (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Boy??

30. What color is your pee? If it is bright yellow, you will have a little boy. If your urine is a dull yellow, plan on a girl.
Again TMI, no comment.

31. Do you feel like your nose is growing and getting wider? If so, you might be having a boy.
I have never had that thought during either pregnancy.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl

32. If you are having headaches, you might be carrying a boy.
For both pregnancies I had pretty awful headaches throughout the first trimester.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Boy

33. It is said that when you can only think of specific names for a boy or a girl, you will have that particularly baby.
When I heard the name Asher and Eric and I agreed that we loved the name and it's meaning, I think I knew that God would give us our blessing (although we did have a girl's name selected as well).  This time around, we still like our old girl's name, but are having trouble finding another boy name.  We do have a few ideas, but nothing specific picked.  Honestly, there is a part of me that feels like I don't need to bother picking out a boy's name, but the planner in me can't go into the delivery room without some good options.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Girl

34. When your face gets fuller and rounder when pregnant, it means you're going to have a girl. If your face is long and narrow, it's a boy.
Again, this one just goes to swelling I think.  Toward the end of my pregnancy with Asher my face was definitely fuller and rounder, as was pretty much every other party of me.  With this pregnancy, I don't think I've changed, but it is too early to tell.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Inconclusive

35. If a pregnant woman eats a clove of garlic and the smell does not come out of her pores, it's a girl.  If the smell seeps out of her pores, it's a boy.
Didn't try this.  Eating a clove of garlic doesn't seem like a terrible idea, as I love garlic, but I think Eric might not be thrilled about my doing it.

36. The eye test is when a V or branches appear when you pull down the skin under your left eye. If you see a V or branches in the white part, you're having a girl.
I never did this with Asher, but for this pregnancy (if I'm understanding what "branches" are), I have them.
Prediction #1: Inconclusive
Prediction #2: Girl

37. This tale only applies if you have had previous kids. If you have and that child's first word was momma, you will have a girl. If your first child's first word was dadda, you'll have a boy.
Asher's first word was Mama, although he had no idea what he was saying.
Prediction #1: Inconclusive
Prediction #2: Girl

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/babypost/predict-your-baby-gender_b_4242748.html1.
38. What about your linea nigra... does it extend up to your ribcage? If so, it's a boy. If it stops at your navel, it's a girl.
For those of you wondering what a "linea nigra" is, it is the line that appears up your stomach during pregancy.  For Asher, my line extended past my belly button up to my rib cage.  So far with this pregnancy, it is non-existant...but I don't recall when it appeared last time.
Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)
Prediction #2: Inconclusive

39. Try looking at yourself in a mirror for at least a minute -- if your pupils dilate, it's a boy; if not, it's a girl.
I never tried this for Asher, but this time around I didn't see any dilation.
Prediction #1: Inconclusive
Prediction #2: Girl

http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/my-baby/gender-prediction/wives-tales/#page=2
40. A child tends to be of the same sex as the parent who is less stressed at the time of conception.
Since I am typically the one that is more stressed most of the time, I would guess it is me for both pregnancies.
Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)
Prediction #2: Girl

Alice Ehlert
41. An elderly woman in my church once told me that if my first child's hair swirl (not sure what it is called) is in the center, then the next child will be a girl.  If it is off to the side, you will have a boy next.
Obviously this gives no clues to Asher, but since his "swirl" is off to the side, then this baby should be a boy.
Prediction #1: Inconclusive
Prediction #2: Boy

Results:
1. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect) Prediction #2: Boy2. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
3. Prediction #1: Boy/Girl?? (Inconclusive), Prediction #2: Boy/Girl??
4. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Girl5. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl7. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct)Prediction #2: Girl
8. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect)Prediction #2: Girl
9. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl
10. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
11. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl
12. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
13. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
15. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Inconclusive.
16. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
17. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl
18. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
19. IPrediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Inconclusive
20. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
21. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
22. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Boy
23. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
25. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Girl
26. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
28. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Boy
29. Prediction #1: Girl?? (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Boy??
31. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl
32. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Boy
33. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Girl
34. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Inconclusive
36. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Girl
37. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Girl
38. Prediction #1: Boy (Correct), Prediction #2: Inconclusive
39. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Girl
40. Prediction #1: Girl (Incorrect), Prediction #2: Girl
41. Prediction #1: Inconclusive, Prediction #2: Boy

Based on these Tale's, Asher should have been a boy (which was obviously correct) and 'M' should be a girl.
Asher: Girl (13), Boy (17)
'M': Girl (20), Boy (12)

Based on the Tale's that correctly picked Asher to be a boy, 'M' should be a 
'M': Girl (7), Boy (6)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so convinced you're having a girl, I have to remind myself that you aren't finding out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I hope you're right, but I'd be thrilled to be a "boy mom" too! :)

      Delete