Thursday, May 22, 2014

Zoo Much Fun!

For Mother's Day weekend, I wanted to do something special with my boys.  Something that would get us out of the house and away from the stresses of home and work.  Originally I was thinking of going to the children's museum in Milwaukee, but the more I thought about it and saw that the forecast for Saturday was beautiful, the less interested I became.  Instead, I wanted to do something outside, but wasn't really sure what.  After messaging our friend Jen to see if her and her boys wanted to do something with us, the plan was in action.  They had been thinking of going to the zoo, and I was quickly onboard as it gave us the best of both worlds: something family friendly to do and the outdoors!

After spending a lazy morning enjoying the warm sunshine at home we had lunch and then headed up to Milwaukee, allowing Asher to take his nap in the van.  Due to traffic, it took us close to an hour and a half to get there, and although I was bummed that we would have less time to spend at the zoo (since they close at 4:30), I was also happy that Asher got to sleep a bit longer.

When we got to the zoo, I quickly realized that Asher and I were both overdressed.  At home, it had been sunny, but breezy.  Here, the breeze was limited and the sun was hot.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the weather, but had to shed some layers and get out the shades.

Too Cool.

When we got inside the zoo, our friends had not made it yet, so we just headed out to see what we could see while we waited.  We didn't get far, but we did get to enjoy the flamingos and the monkeys.

Eric was freaked out that they sat with their knees bent backwards.
Inside the monkey building, many of the animals were hiding, but the spider monkeys did not disappoint.  They were going crazy swinging back and forth across the exhibit, much to Asher's delight.  Asher was also quick to point out every ball that he saw inside the exhibits.  For many of them, he seemed almost uninterested by the animals themselves, but very excited that they had toys to play with! ;)
Asher & I watch the chimpanzees.




Asher & Daddy watching the Spider Monkeys.


When we had finished touring the monkey building, we got a call from Jen saying they had arrived.  We met up with them and since we hadn't made it far at that point, toured the monkey building with them again.  This time, the Spider Monkeys were not in the mood to entertain, but many of the other animals we had missed on our first round were out of hiding.  Jen & Stephen's son William was less interested at first in the animals though and more interested in saying hi to Asher and checking out his stroller.

After the monkey building, we headed over to see the fish and reptiles.  Asher loved the aquarium so much, that I am thinking a visit to Shedd's may be in our future one of these days.

Jelly Fish




Jen and I agree on many things and one of them is our dislike for snakes.  I realized that her disdain for them is much greater than mine though.  Although I don't want them to surprise me or touch me, I can handle them if they are locked away from me for viewing only.  Jen on the other hand waited by the entrance, while the rest of us checked out the reptile exhibit.

From the reptiles, we headed down the road to the African animals.  Eric was pretty excited about showing Asher the lions "rarr!".  On our way there, the train came by, so Eric turned around and ran Asher back up the hill so he could check it out..."choo choo!"


Watch Out, They Spit!

William checking out the camels.
Asher, Eric, Stephen's Sister Melissa, Jen & Stephen


Jen and I pushing our boys up the hill.
The Boys chilling in their strollers and enjoying the animals.



Asher did finally get to see the lions and tigers and especially enjoyed being able to get right up to the glass for a good view.





Eric & Asher watching the tiger.




Stephen & William

Stephen, Asher, Jen & Eric trying to get a glimpse of the hippo.

There it is!

Asher & Eric watching the elephants


My & My Boy




Asher looked so funny standing in the road/walkway all by himself.   He is becoming such a big boy!


I love this picture...it reminds me of a paparazzi photo (like Brad Pitt hanging out with his son...I'd rather have Asher & Eric any day though!)


Asher playing peek-a-boo with the giraffes.


Family Picture.

Harbor Seals.  After walking around all day, that water looked very enticing!




William & Jen



William & Jen
By 4:30, we had pretty much seen everything that we wanted to see, which was good because it was closing time.  I had worried that we wouldn't have enough time, but I think that 2-1/2 hours with a 1 and almost 2 year old was more than enough!  We headed back to the parking lot and decided to meet at PF Changes for dinner.  When we got there though we found out that the wait was going to be about 1 hour & 45 minutes, which was WAY to long to wait with toddlers.  Instead, we headed over to The Cheesecake Factory.  There was a wait there as well, but not nearly as bad.  We enjoyed a great dinner, great conversation and I even got to take home a piece of my favorite Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake.  It was perfect end to a great day.
William checking out the goodies in Asher's stroller.

Asher & I at dinner.
Yum!

That night, Asher was one TIRED boy.  We got home after his normal bedtime, changed him into jammies while barely awake and then kissed him goodnight with no stories, as he could barely keep his eyes open.  It was a great day, but he was ready for bed.  The next day though, when I read to him I made sure to get our Dear Zoo (one of his favorites).  After seeing all of the animals at the zoo, he was very excited to tell me what each animal says, many of which he would say even before he got the door open to reveal the animal inside...proof that we've read it "a few" times! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment