Thursday, July 17, 2014

MI/KY Vacation Day 4: Hitting the Road

Day 4 of our vacation marked the 2nd day of Toddler Tales Week 54, the last day of our weekend at the cottage and the start of our road trip with just the three of us.

We started out the day with a relaxing morning and then headed over to Eric's dad's Amish friend's home with Eric's parents, brother and brother's girlfriend to show Asher the animals.


Video: Chasing Uncle Robby (I found a sticker on my clothes this morning that I gave to Asher.  Eric's brother Rob HATES stickers and thinks that they are gross.  He can't stand them stuck to him, so I of course encouraged Asher to try to put the sticker on Uncle Robby!)  :)  It was pretty funny watching Asher chase him around the yard, as you could tell that Rob kind of wanted Asher to catch him, but really didn't want that sticker to touch him!

Eric & Asher looking at the Amish family's pigs.

Eric's dad, Rob, Negin and the Amish kids checking out the horses.
Asher enjoyed all of the animals at the Amish home, but he was most interested in the freezer pop treats that Eric's dad brought over for the kids to enjoy.  Until Asher's freezer pop was gone, he really couldn't focus on the animals.

When we got back from the Amish farm, we had lunch and then loaded up the van for our road trip down to Kentucky.  Once we got into the van, Asher was out within minutes.  The cottage is exhausting!

Unlike our trip to the cottage on Friday, Asher slept for a pretty good chunk of this trip.  At one point he woke up fussing.  When I turned to see what was wrong, he asked me for his buddies.  I handed him Eeyore and then he made a pillow out of him and went back to sleep.  Clever guy!

We had no idea where we were going to stay that night, because we decided that we would drive as far as we could while Asher was in good spirits.  Eventually, we decided that Louisville would be a good stopping point, so we had dinner at an Arby's on the way there and then booked a hotel online.  To get to Arby's we drove through a pretty bad storm, but when we got there the rain was letting up and gave us a beautiful rainbow.




Finally, we made it to Louisville, Kentucky and drove to our hotel, which was by the airport.  Eric told Asher that we might be able to see some planes while we were there and he was VERY excited about it!  While Eric was checking into our hotel, I gathered up our stuff and got Asher out of his carseat.  At that point it was almost 9:00pm and Asher was overtired, but in a goofy sort of way.  He looked at me very excitedly with his eyes bugging out of his head and said, "PLANES!!??"  I couldn't help but laugh.  Unfortunately, it was very cloudy out still, so although we could hear planes going by we could not see any.  Asher was pretty disappointed and kept asking me for them, but thankfully he got over it when I told him that we might be able to see some tomorrow.

Once Eric had checked in, we headed up to our room to get Asher into bed.  Eric had upgraded us (for free) to a small suite that we thought would work well so that Asher could sleep in one room while we stayed up for a bit and unpacked what we needed in the other room.  I read stories to Asher and put him to bed while Eric got more things from the van.  When Eric returned, I thought Asher had fallen asleep, so I closed the door to the room he was in and then realized that he was awake and had been watching me through the crack of the door the whole time.  He immediately started to cry and wanted out of the pack-n-play.  At this point, there was no way he would go back in there alone, so I laid down on the bed with him and he snuggled right onto my chest.  Together, we cuddled and fell asleep for a while.  When I woke up I was able to free myself from his grasp and Eric was able to put him into the crib without waking him.  It ended up being one of my favorite memories of the entire trip, as I got a wonderful cuddle with my sweet (busy) little boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment