Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Toddler Tales Week 52: Counting Down

This week was all about counting down the days to Asher's birthday party and getting everything ready for it...

It started out on Sunday with Eric, Asher and my Dad finishing up the sandbox (Thanks again Grandma & Papa!)




They spent the morning working hard (with the help of Grandma entertaining Asher at the park for bit, while I was practicing for worship team).  Then everyone got cleaned up and headed to church.  Afterwards, we enjoyed a great lunch at La Fogata with Mom & Dad and then headed back home so that Mom & Dad could get started on their trip home and we could get started on much-needed naps.  Before we all went in our separate directions though, we took a few minutes to get some pictures of the finished sandbox and the Klingenmaier June Birthday Boys (minus Caleb).

The Birthday Boys
Grandma, Asher & Papa
Asher looking like quite the little stud!

Video: Dance! (Eric & I wanted a cover for the sandbox that could also be a deck-type platform.  The end result was one heavy-duty sandbox/dance floor)


Once Grandma & Papa had left and picture time was over, we headed into the house for naps.  Asher was One.Tired.Boy!  He slept for 3.5 hours and I had to wake him up so that he'd sleep that evening!  As you can see (below), he was still a bit sleepy and we were able to enjoy a snuggle (he insisted on covering us with the blankly).

When snuggle time was over, it was time to let Asher test the sandbox.  Eric had gone to Menards while we napped so that Asher would have some sand for his new box.  He loved it!
Toe Squishing
Throwing.
Video: Throwing Sand

Raking

Video: Playing with Mommy

<3 those piggies!
When the work week began, it was time to really focus in on what needed to be done for Asher's party.  Tuesday night was a "fun" trip to Walmart to get supplies, unfortunately Asher decided we were finished before I had everything on my list.  On Wednesday I didn't get my typical day off with Asher, because I decided to take Friday off instead (& keep Asher in daycare) so that I'd have the day to prepare.  Despite that fact, I still got to spend some extra time with my boys on Wednesday morning for Asher's first dentist appointment.

Video: Good Morning Asher

We took Asher to a pediatric dentist called Kerber Smiles in Kenosha.  It was pretty great and Asher immediately ran in to check out all of the toys in the waiting area.  I filled out some paperwork, and then they called us back to an office to explain to us their philosophy on children's teeth and get some medical history.  Then it was time for the exam.  Eric and I had both wanted to be there, but we were told that the room was too small and that only one of us could go.  Reluctantly, I volunteered to stay behind and headed back to the waiting room.  It probably sounds dumb, but I actually shed a tear or two as I sat and thought about my boys sharing a "first" together without me.  Soon after though, the assistant came into the waiting room, saying that "daddy" was asking for a swap.  Little did she know that Eric had no intention of leaving, but thought that would be a good way to get me in there.  Well, it worked and although the room was tight, there was plenty of room for both of us to be in there with Asher, the assistant and the dentist.  Unfortunately, Asher was not nearly as excited about the exam as he had been about the waiting room.  When the dentist came in to check him out, he sat in my lap on the chair and cried the entire time, which was only a few minutes.  The dentist didn't do a cleaning, she only counted his teeth and did a quick check to make sure that everything was healthy (which it was).  She also told us that Asher has crowded (crooked) baby teeth, which we already knew and that he has an underbite (which we've never noticed).  Because of this she thinks he will likely have braces at about 2nd grade, then a retainer and then braces again, with an estimate of $7,000!  I just about passed out!  At this point, we have a few years still, so I'm praying that something changes and we can avoid braces.  However, since Eric and I both got to "enjoy" the braces experience (& my braces time was 5 years!), I doubt we will be so lucky.
Asher playing with the large Lego-type blocks

Playing with the puzzles
Leaving the dentist with his prized "boon"

On Wednesday night, after another trip to Walmart to get the supplies I wasn't able to procure the night before and after Asher was in bed I started my lobster cookies for the party, which I made from a cookie cutter that I had ordered online.  They were a bit fragile and tricky to get off the cookie sheets, but when I was done I still had probably 85% of my cookies unbroken.

On Thursday night, after Asher was in bed, I made the Sloppy Joes and cooked the chicken for the party and then I set out to decorate my lobsters.  As I did so, several more broke and I was probably down to about 75% unbroken.


When Friday came, I was feeling pretty confident that we were in good shape.  I think that since I knew that my parents would not able to come to the party, it forced me to be more organized and not to procrastinate.  I spent the morning making pasta salad, chicken salad (this one was a bit tricky as I had to do some extra work after adding WAY too much salt), cupcakes and a cake.  Then I set out one last time to get groceries.  Before I did so though, I texted Eric to see if he was coming home for lunch.  He said he was and asked if we wanted to go get something together.  The thought of having a mini date with my husband kid-free hadn't occurred to me, but I really like the idea!  Thus, we met at Taco Bell.  Yeah, I know...not the most romantic date ever, but it was cheap, easy and we still had a nice time talking with one another without having to focus on the needs of our little guy.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

When lunch was over, it was time to get back to work.  I did my shopping and then came home to decorate my cupcakes and cake, cut up my veggies, put my lobster cookies in to-go baggies (now at about 40-60%) and do all the other odds and ends that I had.
Asher's Birthday Cake
That evening, we enjoyed a little family time with Asher and then after he was in bed, we welcomed a visit from Eric's parents.  The next day, was Party Day!!  We started getting things ready right off the bat and I was amazed again at how smoothly everything was coming along.  Eric's dad spent the morning playing with Asher and entertaining him as they walked to get donuts (& ended up playing on a slide at the Laundrymat), while Eric, his mom and I worked on cleaning, decorating and fruit salad.  We worked so well and got so much accomplished that at around 11:00 we took a break and headed toward the lake for an early lunch at Big Star and a tour of the Harbor Market.  Afterwards, we came back home, put Asher down for his afternoon nap, finished up the last-minutes items and then it was time to PARTY!


No comments:

Post a Comment